agp pice converter?

Avenqer

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi,

Wasn't sure what to name it but I'll try to clarify my question:

Is it possible for someone to make an adapter that can go into a PCIe 16x slot that would then have an AGP card placed in it? AND utilize its full bandwidth.

Sorry but after 500.00 for an AGP not long ago, the thought of forcing us to buy yet another card in order to utilize nF4 is just a mistake. AGR and the twin PCI bus restrictions just doesnt cut it either. With the number of people that are out there still with AGP cards, I find it difficult to understand why no manufacturer hasnt attempted to make one. I'm sure that they could sell what costs them possibly 30.00 to make could sell for over $100.00 if people had to choose between a converter with full bandwidth use of the AGP card rather than ebaying it and buying a PCIe card.

Whether you agree or not, you have to admit, it doesnt make sense that somebody hasnt tried to market this yet.

just my beef sorry, but if anyone knows if someone has tried this...

Thanks

cleeve

Illustrious
Nvidia has an AGP-to-PCIe converter chip that they include on some of their PCI-e boards, so I guess it might be possible. Probably wouldn't be done for ecinomic reasons tho, I'm sure Nvidia would prefer you're forced to buy a new card.

Ati hasn't made an AGP-to-PCIe converter chip though; their new stuff is PCI-e native and their bridge chip converts PCI-e to AGP... so it's not even possible with AGP R3xx architecture.

There are Intel boards out there with both AGP and PCI-e slots using via chipsets, and supposedly socket 939 boards will be released someday with the same capabilities...

However VIA chipsets leave much to be desired.

I'm in a similar boat, as I just upgraded my videocard to another AGP as well (not in the sig it hasn't arrived yet), I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that when I upgrade it'll be to a socket 939 Nforce3 board with AGP...

Nforce3's are pretty good, and you can get 'em socket 939 with AGP. Might be something you would like to consider for an upgrade.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
nforce 3 only for agp such a dam shame.

the duel agp/pci-e boards are crap they could lower the performance of ur agp card by 10-20% so whats the point!

both my machines have upgraded cards and both agp, 6800 128mb and a X800XT 256mb.

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>

cleeve

Illustrious
No RX8, you're thinking about that crappy board with dual AGP/PCIe. I think it's made by ECS...

Any of the newer solutions with a VIA chipset (PT890 I think?) has both native PCIe and AGP slots with no performance penalty.

I think I saw some manufacturers were releasing dual slot AMD versions on the KT890 PRO chipset, not sure when they'll be available tho.

Actually it's Gigabyte's G.E.A.R. solution that is the crappy one (and can slowly kill your card due to voltage issues). ECS used one similar to VIA's (may have even been a VIA chipset IIRC).

ULi will be bringing one out soon too, and it's likely to match VIA's lossless performance.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
I had a feeling I got it wrong on that one. I just assumed it was ECS. :smile:

Yeah, well they're so niche that I'm not surprised, more surprised that I remember, I even called the G.E.A.R a VIA solution at first about a week or two after launch cause I thought they made the chipset and I knew they did have AGP+PCIe plans, but it's the Intel Chipset and Gigabyte's monkey wrenched G.E.A.R. card destroyer, so you're definitely not the only one.

Heck I could be wrong, maybe another XGI venture and thy simply glued them to Gigabyte boards without any connections, not that you'd notice on an XGI card! :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are boards that convert PCIe to AGP, but they're not using x16 for it, probably x1 or possibly x2. And then there are PCIe boards that use PCI for AGP, that's just terrible. Either solution will cripple your expensive AGP card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
hi cleeve/TGGA

you got a link for the lossless agp/pci-e MB and whats its OC ability.

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>