red

I know this is probably a stupid question, but one that I need answered. I
recently replaced my hard drive with a new larger (and cleaner at that) hard
drive. My problem is that my windows is activated on my old hard drive that
is no longer in use. How can I activate my windows on my new hard drive
(since it's already activated on my old un-used one)?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

"Red" <Red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this is probably a stupid question, but one that I need answered. I
> recently replaced my hard drive with a new larger (and cleaner at that)
> hard
> drive. My problem is that my windows is activated on my old hard drive
> that
> is no longer in use. How can I activate my windows on my new hard drive
> (since it's already activated on my old un-used one)?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

If it's not asking you to activate then it doesn't need it. If you cloned
the old drive to the new one you probably don't need to activate. If you
reinstalled windows on the new one then just do a normal activation over the
internet when prompted. If that doesn't work you will be prompted to phone.

Kerry

Red wrote:
> I know this is probably a stupid question, but one that I need answered. I
> recently replaced my hard drive with a new larger (and cleaner at that) hard
> drive. My problem is that my windows is activated on my old hard drive that
> is no longer in use. How can I activate my windows on my new hard drive
> (since it's already activated on my old un-used one)?

Simply connect the computer to the Internet (after taking the standard
precautions of installing/enabling a firewall and antivirus software, of
course), and let the process proceed automatically.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Red wrote:
> I know this is probably a stupid question, but one that I need answered. I
> recently replaced my hard drive with a new larger (and cleaner at that) hard
> drive. My problem is that my windows is activated on my old hard drive that
> is no longer in use. How can I activate my windows on my new hard drive
> (since it's already activated on my old un-used one)?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

The same way you activated it on the old drive. If its been less than
120 days since the old one was activated then you may have to make a
phone call and explain that your old drive *went bad* and needed
replaced on *the same computer*.

John