  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
March 25, 2005 7:33:54 PM

Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?

Pure curiosity.

More about : dell base memory config

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 7:33:55 PM

I suppose for the same reason that GM doesn't sell any cars without a motor.

Ted Zieglar

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 21ehi$vb7$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
> a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
> have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>
> Pure curiosity.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 7:33:55 PM

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 21ehi$vb7$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
> a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
> have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>
> Pure curiosity.

I can see the support scenario now.

Customer: My new Dell computer won't start up.

Tech: Well sir/madam let's look up your account. (tap tap tap) It appears
you ordered a system with no memory.

Customer: I don't need the *^%*!$ thing to remember anything but it *%*&
sure should work when I get it.

Tech: Well sir/madam (distant eyes roll) you see a computer needs RAM memory
in order to .......

Customer: Well I'm no tech whiz but I paid good money for this piece of
&!$@# and it doesn't work. *^%*#!% Dell screwed me, I'm calling the
BBB....... (and probably raking a few coals in a Newsgroup or two ;-)

Other conceivable possibilities include folks that would assume that all
computer memory is the same (I'll just use the RAM out of my 486DX66) those
that would try and save a few bucks ordering memory from "Bob's house of
silicon" and wonder why it doesn't work, improper installation (possibly
breaking something else in the process) and those that would just plain
buy/order the wrong memory. All these folks jump on the phone to Dell
wanting to know why their new computer doesn't work. All that stuff costs
money and I'm sure is considered in this decision.

(Anyone who finds those kind of calls far fetched I would suggest has never
worked a support line. :-)

People frequently don't; read the fine (or often coarse) print, disclaimers,
warnings, cautions, notes, or use common sense when making a purchase.
Especially an online one. You could put a fuschia warning in 24 point bold
font stating that the computer will not work if you fail to order memory and
some folks would still claim they were never told.

Let's not leave out the fact that I'm sure selling RAM with the computer is
profitable. Would you like fries with that? (if they could find a way to
*make* you buy fries with your Quarter Pounder I'm sure they would)

The bottom line is always "the bottom line." No business decision is made
without consideration to profitability and I'm sure that research has shown
that it is more profitable to ship a computer that will start "out of the
box" than one the customer will need to open before they can use it.

Customer convenience and logic are down the list from profitability.

Remove shoes to E-mail.
March 25, 2005 8:02:09 PM

Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose for the same reason that GM doesn't sell any cars without a motor.

> Ted Zieglar

Heh. Car analogies rarely work out. Dell sells systems without keyboards.
Does GM sell cars without steering wheels?

What I was getting at is this. So many people buy base memory configs
to pull out the 256M bank and replace it with two 512M banks. I'm curious
why Dell doesn't cater to customers looking to install their own memory.

Who wants two 128M DIMMS these days? Dell is selling (mostly) worthless
place holders.

So again, is it a contractual need?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 8:02:10 PM

Brian wrote:

> Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
> > I suppose for the same reason that GM doesn't sell any cars without a motor.
>
> > Ted Zieglar
>
> Heh. Car analogies rarely work out. Dell sells systems without keyboards.
> Does GM sell cars without steering wheels?
>
> What I was getting at is this. So many people buy base memory configs
> to pull out the 256M bank and replace it with two 512M banks. I'm curious
> why Dell doesn't cater to customers looking to install their own memory.
>
> Who wants two 128M DIMMS these days? Dell is selling (mostly) worthless
> place holders.
>
> So again, is it a contractual need?

When ordering a system, there's usually an option to order, for example,
one 512MB chip, rather than two 256MB chips.

If there's not, one should inquire.

Notan
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 8:02:10 PM

OK, so it's not the greatest analogy. It's really an issue of support. If
someone calls or writes to Dell saying "hey, this computer you sold me
doesn't work" the first thing the tech would have to ask is "what kind of
memory did you stick into the computer?" Most people who order from Home and
Small Business don't know what type of memory to buy or what to do with it.

Ted Zieglar

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 21g6h$vlh$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
> > I suppose for the same reason that GM doesn't sell any cars without a
motor.

> > Ted Zieglar
>
> Heh. Car analogies rarely work out. Dell sells systems without
keyboards.
> Does GM sell cars without steering wheels?
>
> What I was getting at is this. So many people buy base memory configs
> to pull out the 256M bank and replace it with two 512M banks. I'm curious
> why Dell doesn't cater to customers looking to install their own memory.
>
> Who wants two 128M DIMMS these days? Dell is selling (mostly) worthless
> place holders.
>
> So again, is it a contractual need?

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 8:27:07 PM

they likely have some obligation to produce complete working computers to
get preferred pricing on processors from intel... but it also seems to me
that it would necessary for them to supply some memory in order to provide a
complete working machine so that they can offer a warranty. if they didn't
then how could they run diagnostics and determine that the thing works? if
you just want to order parts then of course there are other places to
shop... but even buying a complete dell and removing the memory to insert
your own would be cheaper than building your own of comparable quality.

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 21g6h$vlh$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>> I suppose for the same reason that GM doesn't sell any cars without a
>> motor.
>
>> Ted Zieglar
>
> Heh. Car analogies rarely work out. Dell sells systems without
> keyboards.
> Does GM sell cars without steering wheels?
>
> What I was getting at is this. So many people buy base memory configs
> to pull out the 256M bank and replace it with two 512M banks. I'm curious
> why Dell doesn't cater to customers looking to install their own memory.
>
> Who wants two 128M DIMMS these days? Dell is selling (mostly) worthless
> place holders.
>
> So again, is it a contractual need?

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 8:42:45 PM

> they likely have some obligation to produce complete working computers to
> get preferred pricing on processors from intel... but it also seems to me
> that it would necessary for them to supply some memory in order to provide
> a complete working machine so that they can offer a warranty. if they
> didn't then how could they run diagnostics and determine that the thing
> works? if you just want to order parts then of course there are other
> places to shop... but even buying a complete dell and removing the memory
> to insert your own would be cheaper than building your own of comparable
> quality.

I think your phrase "complete working computers" nails this one.

If you sell a computer without memory, it won't work (and will fall foul of,
here in the UK anyway, the Sale Of Goods Act 1978).

Can't remember who it was, but some mobile phone company tried to undercut
the opposition by supplying bare-bones phones here a few months ago (i.e
just a phone, battery, simcard and network access........no means of
recharging the battery) and, accordingly, they breached the said Act and I
believe are now in administration.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 8:47:49 PM

I don't think that ANY name-brand manufacturer will sell you a system without
memory. Occasionally I build white-box systems to sell, and I, too, would not
sell a computer without memory. If a customer wants to supply his/her own
memory for a system I build, he/she can deliver the memory to me, and I'll test
it installed in the system for an additional $25, a real bargain. But that's
the only way I can give any sort of warranty that the system works properly.
And my warranty would exclude any downstream failures of customer-supplied
memory. In short, if you want a warranty on something, you do not supply it
yourself... Ben Myers

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:33:54 +0000 (UTC), Brian <b@fake.com> wrote:

>Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
>a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
>have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>
>Pure curiosity.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 9:12:01 PM

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 21ehi$vb7$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? []

Well it would come in handy if, after box assembly, the system is
booted to some kind of manufacturing test/burn-in.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 7:16:59 AM

Brian wrote:
> Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I suppose for the same reason that GM doesn't sell any cars without a motor.
>
>>Ted Zieglar
>
> Heh. Car analogies rarely work out. Dell sells systems without keyboards.
> Does GM sell cars without steering wheels?
>
> What I was getting at is this. So many people buy base memory configs
> to pull out the 256M bank and replace it with two 512M banks.

Where did you get this particular bit of info?

> I'm curious
> why Dell doesn't cater to customers looking to install their own memory.
>
> Who wants two 128M DIMMS these days? Dell is selling (mostly) worthless
> place holders.

So order more memory

> So again, is it a contractual need?

Probably not with Microsoft (based on no more than a hunch), more likely
Dell feels obligated to deliver a working computer and a computer with
no memory ain't a working model.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 7:19:16 AM

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> "Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 21ehi$vb7$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
>
>>Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
>>a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
>>have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>>
>>Pure curiosity.
>>

> I can see the support scenario now.
>
> Customer: My new Dell computer won't start up.
>
> Tech: Well sir/madam let's look up your account. (tap tap tap) It appears
> you ordered a system with no memory.
>
> Customer: I don't need the *^%*!$ thing to remember anything but it *%*&
> sure should work when I get it.
>
> Tech: Well sir/madam (distant eyes roll) you see a computer needs RAM memory
> in order to .......
>
> Customer: Well I'm no tech whiz but I paid good money for this piece of
> &!$@# and it doesn't work. *^%*#!% Dell screwed me, I'm calling the
> BBB....... (and probably raking a few coals in a Newsgroup or two ;-)
>
> Other conceivable possibilities include folks that would assume that all
> computer memory is the same (I'll just use the RAM out of my 486DX66) those
> that would try and save a few bucks ordering memory from "Bob's house of
> silicon" and wonder why it doesn't work, improper installation (possibly
> breaking something else in the process) and those that would just plain
> buy/order the wrong memory. All these folks jump on the phone to Dell
> wanting to know why their new computer doesn't work. All that stuff costs
> money and I'm sure is considered in this decision.
>
> (Anyone who finds those kind of calls far fetched I would suggest has never
> worked a support line. :-)
>
> People frequently don't; read the fine (or often coarse) print, disclaimers,
> warnings, cautions, notes, or use common sense when making a purchase.
> Especially an online one. You could put a fuschia warning in 24 point bold
> font stating that the computer will not work if you fail to order memory and
> some folks would still claim they were never told.
>
> Let's not leave out the fact that I'm sure selling RAM with the computer is
> profitable. Would you like fries with that? (if they could find a way to
> *make* you buy fries with your Quarter Pounder I'm sure they would)

IIRC that's called the Value Meal.

;)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 7:23:27 AM

Brian wrote:
> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all?

Hm, 2nd thoughts - why not indeed? Also, why not with no Intel chip so
the user can choose what he really wants? Same logic for HDD, cables,
even (some people like the cool, glowing style), etc. Why a case? Why
should I be forced to have a Dell case just because I bought a Dell
computer? Dell should offer the option to ship me a box full of parts I
could install in a case of my choosing - definitely a cooler one than
their lamo designs.

<if you need a smiley with this, you need more RAM>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 5:21:58 PM

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all?
>

> Hm, 2nd thoughts - why not indeed? Also, why not with no Intel chip so
> the user can choose what he really wants? Same logic for HDD, cables,
> even (some people like the cool, glowing style), etc. Why a case? Why
> should I be forced to have a Dell case just because I bought a Dell
> computer? Dell should offer the option to ship me a box full of parts I
> could install in a case of my choosing - definitely a cooler one than
> their lamo designs.

Or perhaps they could just ask for your name and then send you a badge
saying "xxxx's computer", and you could put the components of your
choice behind it?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 27, 2005 11:03:10 AM

John Fryatt wrote:
> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
>
>> Brian wrote:
>>
>>> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all?
>>
>> Hm, 2nd thoughts - why not indeed? Also, why not with no Intel chip so
>> the user can choose what he really wants? Same logic for HDD, cables,
>> even (some people like the cool, glowing style), etc. Why a case? Why
>> should I be forced to have a Dell case just because I bought a Dell
>> computer? Dell should offer the option to ship me a box full of parts
>> I could install in a case of my choosing - definitely a cooler one
>> than their lamo designs.
>
> Or perhaps they could just ask for your name and then send you a badge
> saying "xxxx's computer", and you could put the components of your
> choice behind it?

I like the way you think!

Of course, one could ask why even contact Dell?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 27, 2005 3:44:20 PM

Sparky Spartacus <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:

>John Fryatt wrote:
>> Sparky Spartacus wrote:

>>> computer? Dell should offer the option to ship me a box full of parts
>>> I could install in a case of my choosing - definitely a cooler one
>>> than their lamo designs.

>> Or perhaps they could just ask for your name and then send you a badge
>> saying "xxxx's computer", and you could put the components of your
>> choice behind it?

>I like the way you think!
>
>Of course, one could ask why even contact Dell?

Heaven forfend! Miss out on the badge? You heathen!
--
OJ III
a b } Memory

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
> Sparky Spartacus <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:
>
>>John Fryatt wrote:

>>>Or perhaps they could just ask for your name and then send you a badge
>>>saying "xxxx's computer", and you could put the components of your
>>>choice behind it?
>
>>I like the way you think!
>>
>>Of course, one could ask why even contact Dell?
>
> Heaven forfend! Miss out on the badge? You heathen!

Sorry.

:)
March 28, 2005 8:14:55 PM

Brian <b@fake.com> wrote:
> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
> a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
> have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?

> Pure curiosity.

Sorry guys. The sarcastic answers were completely useless. None
addressed the simple fact that quite a number of customers buy
the base memory with the goal of replacing it with Crucial/Corsair/
Kingston/etc.

I'll chaulk it up to the same phenomena as (car analogy warning)
GM selling a base radio and an overpriced six speaker Bose
"upgrade." Serious audiophiles will buy the base radio and
replace it with their choice of radios.

The analogy fails, though, in that a $1000 radio system will only
make up 5% of a $20,000 car price. 1GB of computer memory makes up
about 20% of a $1000 computer sale. i.e. memory is an important
decision when buying a computer. And replacing memory is a toolless
five minute upgrade.

So to rephrase the question, for those people on the fence of
buying from a competitor or even building, does the fact that
Dell *always* charges for memory and has overpriced memory
scare more people away than Dell makes scalping on memory upgrades?

Would Dell do better selling an option of "no memory"? A few
answers did suggest their would be greater liability for this.
(People would clobber their own systems and claim DOA, for example)
And that's a good enough answer.

I've built five systems for my own personal use. Each time I
considered Dell and walked away. Memory prices were part of that.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 28, 2005 8:34:59 PM

sounds like you missed the generic point about warranty service, and the
previously mentioned "sale of goods act" in the uk. as for the people that
do put their own memory into the system, should they encounter serious
problems that are not obvious dell will reasonably require the user to
restore the machine back to its original configuration in order to test it
for functionality. it would be unreasonable to think that they would be
responsible to test the compatibility of components that they did not supply
just as it would be unreasonable for you to take your car back to the dealer
to fix a problem with your stereo after you replaced it with some
aftermarket parts.

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 29ahv$int$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Brian <b@fake.com> wrote:
>> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
>> a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
>> have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>
>> Pure curiosity.
>
> Sorry guys. The sarcastic answers were completely useless. None
> addressed the simple fact that quite a number of customers buy
> the base memory with the goal of replacing it with Crucial/Corsair/
> Kingston/etc.
>
> I'll chaulk it up to the same phenomena as (car analogy warning)
> GM selling a base radio and an overpriced six speaker Bose
> "upgrade." Serious audiophiles will buy the base radio and
> replace it with their choice of radios.
>
> The analogy fails, though, in that a $1000 radio system will only
> make up 5% of a $20,000 car price. 1GB of computer memory makes up
> about 20% of a $1000 computer sale. i.e. memory is an important
> decision when buying a computer. And replacing memory is a toolless
> five minute upgrade.
>
> So to rephrase the question, for those people on the fence of
> buying from a competitor or even building, does the fact that
> Dell *always* charges for memory and has overpriced memory
> scare more people away than Dell makes scalping on memory upgrades?
>
> Would Dell do better selling an option of "no memory"? A few
> answers did suggest their would be greater liability for this.
> (People would clobber their own systems and claim DOA, for example)
> And that's a good enough answer.
>
> I've built five systems for my own personal use. Each time I
> considered Dell and walked away. Memory prices were part of that.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 28, 2005 9:56:56 PM

"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 29ahv$int$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Brian <b@fake.com> wrote:
>> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
>> a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
>> have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>
>> Pure curiosity.
>
> Sorry guys. The sarcastic answers were completely useless. None
> addressed the simple fact that quite a number of customers buy
> the base memory with the goal of replacing it with Crucial/Corsair/
> Kingston/etc.
>
> I'll chaulk it up to the same phenomena as (car analogy warning)
> GM selling a base radio and an overpriced six speaker Bose
> "upgrade." Serious audiophiles will buy the base radio and
> replace it with their choice of radios.
>
> The analogy fails, though, in that a $1000 radio system will only
> make up 5% of a $20,000 car price. 1GB of computer memory makes up
> about 20% of a $1000 computer sale. i.e. memory is an important
> decision when buying a computer. And replacing memory is a toolless
> five minute upgrade.
>
> So to rephrase the question, for those people on the fence of
> buying from a competitor or even building, does the fact that
> Dell *always* charges for memory and has overpriced memory
> scare more people away than Dell makes scalping on memory upgrades?
>
> Would Dell do better selling an option of "no memory"? A few
> answers did suggest their would be greater liability for this.
> (People would clobber their own systems and claim DOA, for example)
> And that's a good enough answer.
>
> I've built five systems for my own personal use. Each time I
> considered Dell and walked away. Memory prices were part of that.

This is NOT the same as a radio. If I get a car without a radio, I can still
drive to work.

You've completely ignored GOOD answers from others that don't seem to match
your opinion.

Bottom line, if they shipped without memory, then Dell could NOT provide
warranty support, as they would have no way of ensuring that the memory you
added was not the problem. They often require you to return your
configuration to factory shipped prior to warranty service to ensure that
you add-ons were not the problem. A perfectly reasonable approach. If you
had major electrical problems in your car, and they pointed back to your
miswiring your wonderful car stereo you added, then the dealer would charge
you for the diagnosis, even if the car was under warranty.

Your entire question is unreasonable to even the most casual computer user.

Tom
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 29, 2005 2:32:46 AM

Agreed. Brian, go back and read my original response to your posting. I was
not sarcastic, and I think I presented a compelling line of reasoning. If the
Dell prices and policies are not agreeable to you, buy elsewhere or build your
own. As I stated previously, no other name brand computer company will sell you
a computer without memory, either. So... Build your own... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:56:56 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>"Brian" <b@fake.com> wrote in message news:D 29ahv$int$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
>> Brian <b@fake.com> wrote:
>>> Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
>>> a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
>>> have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>>
>>> Pure curiosity.
>>
>> Sorry guys. The sarcastic answers were completely useless. None
>> addressed the simple fact that quite a number of customers buy
>> the base memory with the goal of replacing it with Crucial/Corsair/
>> Kingston/etc.
>>
>> I'll chaulk it up to the same phenomena as (car analogy warning)
>> GM selling a base radio and an overpriced six speaker Bose
>> "upgrade." Serious audiophiles will buy the base radio and
>> replace it with their choice of radios.
>>
>> The analogy fails, though, in that a $1000 radio system will only
>> make up 5% of a $20,000 car price. 1GB of computer memory makes up
>> about 20% of a $1000 computer sale. i.e. memory is an important
>> decision when buying a computer. And replacing memory is a toolless
>> five minute upgrade.
>>
>> So to rephrase the question, for those people on the fence of
>> buying from a competitor or even building, does the fact that
>> Dell *always* charges for memory and has overpriced memory
>> scare more people away than Dell makes scalping on memory upgrades?
>>
>> Would Dell do better selling an option of "no memory"? A few
>> answers did suggest their would be greater liability for this.
>> (People would clobber their own systems and claim DOA, for example)
>> And that's a good enough answer.
>>
>> I've built five systems for my own personal use. Each time I
>> considered Dell and walked away. Memory prices were part of that.
>>

>This is NOT the same as a radio. If I get a car without a radio, I can still
>drive to work.
>
>You've completely ignored GOOD answers from others that don't seem to match
>your opinion.
>
>Bottom line, if they shipped without memory, then Dell could NOT provide
>warranty support, as they would have no way of ensuring that the memory you
>added was not the problem. They often require you to return your
>configuration to factory shipped prior to warranty service to ensure that
>you add-ons were not the problem. A perfectly reasonable approach. If you
>had major electrical problems in your car, and they pointed back to your
>miswiring your wonderful car stereo you added, then the dealer would charge
>you for the diagnosis, even if the car was under warranty.
>
>Your entire question is unreasonable to even the most casual computer user.
>
>Tom

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 30, 2005 5:36:26 AM

Tom Scales wrote:
> But that makes no sense. If the machine is designed for PC2700, you can add
> all the PC3200 you want.
>
> And it will happily run at PC2700

You're thinking of it backwards. If the machine is capable of running
at PC3200 and you buy cheapest RAM configuration (Let's say 1x256
PC2700), then when I add the two PC3200 sticks I will only be able to
run them at PC2700 (in non DDR mode at that) unless I remove the PC2700
which came with the system. Dell does sell systems with multiple RAM
speed options (eg. my laptop can take either DDR2 400 or DDR2 533, and
it's capable of running at the 533).
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 30, 2005 6:46:05 AM

Brian wrote:
> Brian <b@fake.com> wrote:
>
>>Why doesn't Dell sell computers with no memory at all? Is there
>>a contractual obligation with Microsoft such that an OEM sale must
>>have X,Y,Z, oh, and memory too?
>
>>Pure curiosity.
>
> Sorry guys. The sarcastic answers were completely useless.

No more so than the original question, which was ludicrous on the face
of it.
!