Blackberry soon

In case anyone cares :

I was told this AM by a Fido CSR that they will offer Blackberries
around mid-february.

M.
5 answers Last reply
More about blackberry soon

    In article <o5kmt0paothbg30h3bql3qopc32jrkqm0f@4ax.com>,
    Mastermis <micho@yahoo.comSPAM> wrote:

    > In case anyone cares :
    >
    > I was told this AM by a Fido CSR that they will offer Blackberries
    > around mid-february.
    >
    > M.

    Thanks. Any word on Treo 650s? I'm still a little confused by how Rogers
    is segmenting the Rogers cell line and the Fido cell line. I thought
    they were saving the higher-end, especially business-oriented phones for
    their Rogers line, and keeping Fido focused on the youth-oriented,
    text/camera phones. But if Fido is getting Blackberries, that shoots
    holes in that theory.

    bt schmidt wrote:
    > they were saving the higher-end, especially business-oriented phones for
    > their Rogers line, and keeping Fido focused on the youth-oriented,
    > text/camera phones. But if Fido is getting Blackberries, that shoots
    > holes in that theory.

    The real integration is still being developped and implementation won't start
    for another few months and last years. Meanwhile, Rogers has to work to retain
    Fido customers. It costs less to have Fido carry new handsets compared to the
    costs of Rogers acquiring Fido customers.

    Rogers paid for Fido customers. It won't want to pay to acquire them a second
    time. So it will take some time to design a strategy to eventually move Fido
    customers to Rogers plans, and deal with handset loack and Fido sim card
    working transparently on the Rogers's network.

    > I was told this AM by a Fido CSR that they will offer Blackberries
    > around mid-february.

    Sorry, no, it wont be mid-Feb.

    > The real integration is still being developped and implementation won't start
    > for another few months and last years. Meanwhile, Rogers has to work to retain
    > Fido customers. It costs less to have Fido carry new handsets compared to the
    > costs of Rogers acquiring Fido customers.
    >
    > Rogers paid for Fido customers. It won't want to pay to acquire them a second
    > time. So it will take some time to design a strategy to eventually move Fido
    > customers to Rogers plans, and deal with handset loack and Fido sim card
    > working transparently on the Rogers's network.

    You never know. You would think that Cingular would try something like
    that, but Cingular is requiring all AT&T Wireless customers to get a
    Cingular SIM card and a Cingular branded handset, along with choosing a
    Cingular plan. There is not date, and so far the migration is
    voluntary, but who knows exactly how it will be handled later on (AT&T
    Wirless had roughly 22 million customers, of which approximately 250,000
    had to be sold off per US government).

    Rogers might be better off operating the two divisions independently and
    then examining the Cingular/AT&T situation and try avoid making the same
    mistakes/mishaps Cingular is making.

    TH

    Tropical Haven wrote:
    > You never know. You would think that Cingular would try something like
    > that, but Cingular is requiring all AT&T Wireless customers to get a
    > Cingular SIM card and a Cingular branded handset, along with choosing a
    > Cingular plan.

    Cingular has some requirements to free up the AT&T trademark ASAP. AT&T is to
    start marketing AT&T Wireless (Sprint provided service under AT&T
    branding/billing) as soon as Cingular has stopped using that trademark.

    Dumping AT&T logos ASAP was part of the deal between AT&T and Cingular that
    allowed Cingular to get the AT&T Wireless assets.

    Also, if Cingular inherited any TDMA customers, they will probably want to
    move those real fast over to GSM. From a technology point of view, Cingular
    acquired a superset of itself.

    Rogers acquitred a subset of itself, so integrating Fido will in fact be
    easier. Fido is just 1900 GSM, whereas Rogers is Analogue TDMA , 850GSM and 1900GSM.

    > There is not date, and so far the migration is
    > voluntary, but who knows exactly how it will be handled later on (AT&T
    > Wirless had roughly 22 million customers,

    Since Cingular is obligated under contract to stop using the AT&T trademark,
    all AT&T customers will start seing Cingular logos on their bills. Their old
    plan may simply be given a Cingular trademark/name, and not be offered to new
    customers who will be steered to Cingular-heritage plans/handsets.

    > Rogers might be better off operating the two divisions independently and
    > then examining the Cingular/AT&T situation and try avoid making the same
    > mistakes/mishaps Cingular is making.

    The situations are different enough that I am not sure they apply. It is a
    huge job to integrate 2 networks. But the same banks which will happy to sell
    their Microcell stock to Rogers also lent Rogers the money to buy that stock
    from the banks. Those banks will want to see Rogers streamline the two
    companies and eliminate duplication of costs.

    Rogers will also want to make use of Fido's bandwidth.

    If Rogers doesn't integrate Fido, then questions will be asked by lenders and
    shareholders because Rogers will have spend billions, increased its debts by
    billions and gotten no benefits other than being to claim a greater number of subscribers.

Fido Cases BlackBerry Internet Service Providers