Reinstalled 2nd copy of WindowsXP but now cant read files ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Dear all

I have a serious problem with WindowsXP - I think its a security issue.

Due to a hard drive failure I reinstalled Widows onto my machine - I now
have 2 copies of WindowsXP at boot-time one version doesn't work/boot due to
the hard disk problem and one (the newly installed one) works fine. The
problem is I want to retrieve \My Documents from the old install and move
them to the new one (actually onto a new disk) ; I can see the \My Documents
folder but when I click on it to display my files I get "Access Denied".

I am assuming that Windows Security is preventing me access to my own files
from which were put on by the 1st Copy of Windows and that the 2nd copy
can't read them.

Is that right and if so how do I get around this problem ?

Thanks for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstalled copy windowsxp read files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    I have two installations of XP on the same partition
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike" wrote:

    | Dear all
    |
    | I have a serious problem with WindowsXP - I think its a security issue.
    |
    | Due to a hard drive failure I reinstalled Widows onto my machine - I now
    | have 2 copies of WindowsXP at boot-time one version doesn't work/boot due to
    | the hard disk problem and one (the newly installed one) works fine. The
    | problem is I want to retrieve \My Documents from the old install and move
    | them to the new one (actually onto a new disk) ; I can see the \My Documents
    | folder but when I click on it to display my files I get "Access Denied".
    |
    | I am assuming that Windows Security is preventing me access to my own files
    | from which were put on by the 1st Copy of Windows and that the 2nd copy
    | can't read them.
    |
    | Is that right and if so how do I get around this problem ?
    |
    | Thanks for any help.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Mike,
    This problem is one I have had to solve on occasion and here is my method.

    In the valid working installation of Windows you are the "owner" but not
    the same as the "owner" of the previous corrupt installation installation.
    So putting it simply you have got to give "new" owner permission to access
    the old files.

    Please follow these steps

    Disable Simple File Sharing because by default, Windows XP Professional uses
    Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain. [Go to Control
    Panel\Folder Options\View\Use simple file sharing (recommended) uncheck].
    Then create at least one shared folder in network places [use Windows Help
    if you have not done this before]

    Then take ownership of the folders in the old system by following these
    steps:
    1. Right-click each folder that you want to take ownership of, and
    then click its Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message
    (if one appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if
    you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If
    you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the
    Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following
    message:
    name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions
    granting you Full Control?

    All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take
    ownership of.
    6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings
    that you want for the folder and its contents.

    I found it be rather tricky at first but with patience and trying the
    various options one can do it

    For additional information about how to do this, view the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base: Article
    307874 "How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
    folder in Windows XP"
    and check all the links Carrie has given you.

    --
    Uncle John
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thank you to all for the reply - I will give it a go tonight when I get home
    !

    "Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    > This problem is one I have had to solve on occasion and here is my method.
    >
    > In the valid working installation of Windows you are the "owner" but not
    > the same as the "owner" of the previous corrupt installation
    > installation. So putting it simply you have got to give "new" owner
    > permission to access the old files.
    >
    > Please follow these steps
    >
    > Disable Simple File Sharing because by default, Windows XP Professional
    > uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain. [Go to Control
    > Panel\Folder Options\View\Use simple file sharing (recommended) uncheck].
    > Then create at least one shared folder in network places [use Windows Help
    > if you have not done this before]
    >
    > Then take ownership of the folders in the old system by following these
    > steps:
    > 1. Right-click each folder that you want to take ownership of, and
    > then click its Properties.
    > 2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message
    > (if one appears).
    > 3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    > 4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if
    > you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If
    > you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the
    > Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    > 5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following
    > message:
    > name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions
    > granting you Full Control?
    >
    > All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    > Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take
    > ownership of.
    > 6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings
    > that you want for the folder and its contents.
    >
    > I found it be rather tricky at first but with patience and trying the
    > various options one can do it
    >
    > For additional information about how to do this, view the Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base: Article
    > 307874 "How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
    > folder in Windows XP"
    > and check all the links Carrie has given you.
    >
    > --
    > Uncle John

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.access (More info?)

    I have a very similar problem after a reformat of the hard drive and a
    reinstall of Windows XP Pro SP2.

    I am trying to restore my data files from a MS Backup. I couldn't access
    them, but I have worked out how to amend the security settings as described
    above. However, it seems that I have to right click on every single folder,
    or at least every level of folder, and amend their properties individually.
    As there are hundreds of folders, I am hoping that someone can tell me that
    there is a more sensible way of tackling it.

    Any help is much appreciated.

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP