What Taito boardset (approx. 1980) is this?

I have here a 2 layer Taito boardset that has been fairly heavily
modified to run Stratovox. It does not match up with pictures I've
found of actual Stratovox boardsets (but is roughly similar) and I'm
curious to know what's it's been modified from.

The top board (with the sound circuitry, etc) has on it the numbers:

PRO70013
PRN00004

and the lower board:

PRO70012
PRN00003

A Google search doesn't turn up anything useful.

Thanks

guinness

Pit & Run? Just throwing out a guess.

tim (NH)

"max-man" <max-man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have here a 2 layer Taito boardset that has been fairly heavily
> modified to run Stratovox. It does not match up with pictures I've
> found of actual Stratovox boardsets (but is roughly similar) and I'm
> curious to know what's it's been modified from.
>
> The top board (with the sound circuitry, etc) has on it the numbers:
>
> PRO70013
> PRN00004
>
> and the lower board:
>
> PRO70012
> PRN00003
>
> A Google search doesn't turn up anything useful.
>

> Thanks

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:56:06 GMT, "The Pinny Parlour"
<thepinnyparlourNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Could be maybe??
>
>Stratovox
>Space Seeker

It's not Stratovox as the layout is a bit different and the numbers I
listed don't match those for a Stratovox boardset (plus it has a lot
of wire mods on it). It is using the official Stratovox EPROMs though.

I don't think it's Space Seeker either as the board numbers once again
don't match.

Thanks anyhow.

:
: The top board (with the sound circuitry, etc) has on it the numbers:
:
: PRO70013
: PRN00004
:
: and the lower board:
:
: PRO70012
: PRN00003
:
: A Google search doesn't turn up anything useful.

Take some pics... Could be something like polaris or space race

FWIW, Stratovox is;

LS070013 / LSN000001
LS070014 / LSN000002

I've got 3 untested boards here on my "to look at" stack if you need one :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

probably a 2 board version of polaris, I have this version also
"Andy Welburn" <c.u@the.pub> wrote in message
> can you post pictures?
>
> could be Polaris or similar hardware..
>
> Andy Welburn
> www.andysarcade.net
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:10:48 +0100, "simon hanlon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>probably a 2 board version of polaris, I have this version also

Definitely not Polaris - have looked at some pics at crazykong.com and
another site and they don't match with mine.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:03:55 GMT, Andy Welburn <c.u@the.pub> wrote:

>can you post pictures?

Will do soon and will post back here when they're up.

I checked my Space Cyclone PCB since it's the same year and
manufacturer as your mystery board. But it's definitely not that.
There's photos here:

http://tinyurl.com/aam2m

NOT SEEN ANY PICS OF THE 2 BOARD VERSION OF POLARIS BUT i DO HAVE ONE. wILL
DIG IT OUT AND TAKE SOME PICS
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:03:55 GMT, Andy Welburn <c.u@the.pub> wrote:
>
>>can you post pictures?
>
> Will do soon and will post back here when they're up.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:30:22 +0100, "simon hanlon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>NOT SEEN ANY PICS OF THE 2 BOARD VERSION OF POLARIS BUT i DO HAVE ONE. wILL
>DIG IT OUT AND TAKE SOME PICS

Thanks for the offer but no need as there are some Polaris pics here:

http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/P%20-%20S/

Trouble is that the boardset definitely isn't Polaris.

after looking at your pictures, they are the same as my Stratovox boards (no
wires)
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:30:22 +0100, "simon hanlon"
> <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>NOT SEEN ANY PICS OF THE 2 BOARD VERSION OF POLARIS BUT i DO HAVE ONE.
>>wILL
>>DIG IT OUT AND TAKE SOME PICS
>
> Thanks for the offer but no need as there are some Polaris pics here:
>
> http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/P%20-%20S/
>
> Trouble is that the boardset definitely isn't Polaris.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:02:49 +0100, "simon hanlon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>after looking at your pictures, they are the same as my Stratovox boards (no
>wires)

How do your boards compare to the pics on this page:

http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/P%20-%20S/index02.html

Mine are definitely different to those (wires or no wires).

and what numbers are screened onto your boards?

Hmmmm Yeah mine is the same as yours...not like the Stratovox. The same
numbers on the board as yours!
I always thought it was a Polaris board but looking at the roms LS it is
Stratovox. I have Safari Rally colour (RL on roms) by taito which is similar
but not the same. 8080 not Z80. I guess someone in this group will be a
taito expert and know exactly what this PCB a should be.
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:02:49 +0100, "simon hanlon"
> <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>after looking at your pictures, they are the same as my Stratovox boards
>>(no
>>wires)
>
> How do your boards compare to the pics on this page:
>
> http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/P%20-%20S/index02.html
>
> Mine are definitely different to those (wires or no wires).
>
> and what numbers are screened onto your boards?

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:45:33 +0100, "simon hanlon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Hmmmm Yeah mine is the same as yours...not like the Stratovox. The same
>numbers on the board as yours!

And yours is of course unmodified.

>I always thought it was a Polaris board but looking at the roms LS it is
>Stratovox.

So you have LS EPROMs on yours too?

Does the boardset work?

>I have Safari Rally colour (RL on roms) by taito which is similar
>but not the same. 8080 not Z80. I guess someone in this group will be a
>taito expert and know exactly what this PCB a should be.

I hope so. This is a mystery which I'd like to solve. :)

On 29 Jul 2005 14:21:38 -0700, "Corey C." <cooke@jory.ca> wrote:

>I checked my Space Cyclone PCB since it's the same year and
>manufacturer as your mystery board. But it's definitely not that.
>There's photos here:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/aam2m

Thanks for checking - as you say though, it's not that.

Now that I've posted pics, any more thoughts from Andy, Mark, etc? Or
do I have something R@RE ? ;-)))

max-man wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2005 14:21:38 -0700, "Corey C." <cooke@jory.ca> wrote:
>

>>I checked my Space Cyclone PCB since it's the same year and
>>manufacturer as your mystery board. But it's definitely not that.
>>There's photos here:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/aam2m
>>

> Thanks for checking - as you say though, it's not that.
>
> Now that I've posted pics, any more thoughts from Andy, Mark, etc? Or
> do I have something R@RE ? ;-)))

Find someone with a burner, and dump the ROMs. Use WinROMIdent to
identify the game (if it's in the ROMIDENT database).

well, the way i see it, you have a slightly differet pcb layout, but
essentially all the gubbings looks like they're there to play the
game...

Essentially you have the same game, but a different revision of the pcb
with an alternate component layout? wouldn't be the first time you see
this... (ever seen the 3 types of Atari Digdug pcb? :)

I have two Taito 'Field Goal' pcbs, one is marked as AFNxxxx the other
is marked MFNxxxx possibly a cocktail/upright version difference (havn't
fired either up to check, but i have dumped roms and they differ, but
have yet to appear in mame?), likewise your pcb should be the same, made
for a different style cabinet perhaps, or maybe just an early pcb, or a
factory re-use of an older board.

Remember although Taito looks all official and stuff, they produced a
lot of games in the late 70's and very early 80's that were nothing but
straight bootlegs. And before anyone interjects, i'm referring to taito
Japan, not the namby pamby USA arm (Taito America). Taito was a
heavyweight in the market and i believe they bullied their way into
producing (under license or not) many games originally made by other
companies. This may or may not have something to do with their
involvement with the Yakuza around that time, before they shook them off
in about 1981.

So, does this Stratovox pcb still have speech? and have you dumped the
roms to see that it is a plain copy of stratovox?

ps - if anybody is reading, i collect original Taito Cocktail table
instruction cards if anyone has any to sell, paypal waiting ;)

enjoy..

Andy Welburn
www.andysarcade.net

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

pit n run is way too late for that, plus the hardware is too different.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:22:53 GMT, Andy Welburn <c.u@the.pub> wrote:

>well, the way i see it, you have a slightly differet pcb layout, but
>essentially all the gubbings looks like they're there to play the
>game...

Can't argue with that.

>Essentially you have the same game, but a different revision of the pcb
>with an alternate component layout? wouldn't be the first time you see
>this... (ever seen the 3 types of Atari Digdug pcb? :)

The thing that surprises me is the amount of wire mods on the boards -
even the solder side (not pictured) of the sound board has a load of
extra wires. Just seems strange to me that if this is indeed a
different Stratovox board revision it almost has too many mods,
IYSWIM.

The mods also don't exactly match up with the Stratovox schems
(although this may be expected if simply trying to match up which
gates, for example, on a chip are used etc - the board layout not
matching the Stratovox schems doesn't help either of course).

>I have two Taito 'Field Goal' pcbs, one is marked as AFNxxxx the other
>is marked MFNxxxx possibly a cocktail/upright version difference (havn't
>fired either up to check, but i have dumped roms and they differ, but
>have yet to appear in mame?), likewise your pcb should be the same, made
>for a different style cabinet perhaps, or maybe just an early pcb, or a
>factory re-use of an older board.

Certainly all that seems possible, curious though that I can't find a
reference anywhere to the board numbers I mentioned. Still, not
everything is documented so maybe I really have found something
'unusual'.

>So, does this Stratovox pcb still have speech?

Hard to tell at this stage as it won't work, but it has the AY-3-8910
and SN76477 ICs.

>and have you dumped the
>roms to see that it is a plain copy of stratovox?

Yup, they're just the same as Stratovox (and are labelled the same).

Latest posts