Asteroids - Raster?

Hey guys,

I would have to say, absolutely, that my most favorite arcade game ever

made, is the original Asteroids. Not Super Asteroids, but the original
one
which was made up of nothing more than lines. The one that used the
Herculese
monochromatic video display.

I have no idea what the technical name for this is, does anyone know
specifically what the name of THAT specific Asteroids machine is
called? I know
there were several versions.

Also, what could I expect to pay for something like that, one in decent
working
order? Maybe a 7/10 condition?

Thanks!!!

Todd

>I would have to say, absolutely, that my most favorite
>arcade game ever made, is the original Asteroids. Not
>Super Asteroids, but the original one

you mean asteroids deluxe? or some of the later raster "blasteroids"?
AD is pretty good. I have a standard asteroids waiting for the
multigame.

>which was made up of nothing more than lines. The
>one that used the Herculese monochromatic video >display.

It's called a vector monitor. Black and White vector monitor to be
exact. The lines are drawn point to point and not scanned like a
raster.

>I have no idea what the technical name for this is,
>does anyone know specifically what the name of THAT >specific Asteroids machine is called?

Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe both used the same style vector monitor.
See klov.com

>I know there were several versions.

There were three vector asteroids "versions": Asteroids, Asteroids
deluxe, and Space duel (color two player)

The rest were later raster versions which are not all that popular.

>Also, what could I expect to pay for something like >that, one in decent working order? Maybe a 7/10 >condition?

Asteroids can be found non-working for as little as free to working as
much as $1000. Plan on paying about $500-$600 for a working one, but
these values are dependant on location, time of year, and the person
selling.

Kirb

By Super Asteroids, he probably meant the version of Asteroids
released for Windows about 5 years ago that had updated graphics
supporting Voodoo & OpenGL type graphics cards.

I'd like to see an updated version of Asteroids for coin-op using a
vector display. Asteroids Deluxe & Space Duel were both great
sequels. Blasteroids was ok, but even that was nearly 20 years ago.

On 29 Jul 2005 05:23:28 -0700, "Todd82TA" <toddjasp@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Hey guys,
>
>I would have to say, absolutely, that my most favorite arcade game ever
>
>made, is the original Asteroids. Not Super Asteroids, but the original
>one
>which was made up of nothing more than lines. The one that used the
>Herculese
>monochromatic video display.
>
>I have no idea what the technical name for this is, does anyone know
>specifically what the name of THAT specific Asteroids machine is
>called? I know
>there were several versions.
>
>Also, what could I expect to pay for something like that, one in decent
>working
>order? Maybe a 7/10 condition?
>

>Thanks!!!
>
>Todd

>I'd like to see an updated version of Asteroids for coin-op using a vector display.

vectors are dead....sadly.

Kirb

>I've spoken with some manufacturers interested in building new vector
>monitors.

To feed the $500 color vector market of OLD games.
New games are never going to be made with vector monitors.
It's not like it CAN'T be done, but WHY would you do it?

Kirb

That could change.

I've spoken with some manufacturers interested in building new vector
monitors.

Apparently, all of the parts are available to build new ones except
for one thing. The yoke has to be twisted a certain way.
One designer I chatted with said if they wanted to buy huge quantites,
they could get this done. But since it would be a niche market, they
would want to start with a much smaller quantity and have not been
able to find a plant willing to do that.

Nate

On 1 Aug 2005 11:38:34 -0700, "kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>I've spoken with some manufacturers interested in building new vector
>>monitors.
>
>To feed the $500 color vector market of OLD games.
>New games are never going to be made with vector monitors.
>It's not like it CAN'T be done, but WHY would you do it?
>
>Kirb

Well, it's unlikely that new vector games would be made, but there are
reasons to do it.

The super bright picture can not be matched on raster monitors, and
it's now possible to use a modern faster processor for even better
vector graphics than ever seen before.

The most likely reason it would come back would probably be an
Asteroids 25th aniversary machine or something like that. There
seems to be a market looking at MsPacman/Galaga and other similar
ideas.

:
:>>I've spoken with some manufacturers interested in building new vector
:>>monitors.
:>
:>To feed the $500 color vector market of OLD games.
:>New games are never going to be made with vector monitors.
:>It's not like it CAN'T be done, but WHY would you do it?
:>
:>Kirb
:>
:
: Well, it's unlikely that new vector games would be made, but there are
: reasons to do it.
:
: The super bright picture can not be matched on raster monitors, and
: it's now possible to use a modern faster processor for even better
: vector graphics than ever seen before.

You're still limited by how fast you can slew the beam around the screen
before the phosphors decay.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

The first thing I thought of was the Asteroids conversion for Atari's
Football. I've yet to see inside one, but it could qualify as a raster
version of Asteroids?

Mike Doyle

>The super bright picture can not be matched on raster monitors, and
>it's now possible to use a modern faster processor for even better
>vector graphics than ever seen before.

Grapics are not going to get any better with new processors and
hardware. It's a monitor limitation.

I don't see a vector game selling at all unless they packaged them ALL
together and see how that did. I still doubt you are going to touch the
pac/glag release.

Kirb