X800PRO faster than X800XL

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Please correct me if im missing something, but I thought that the XL with the extra pipelines was superior to the X800PRO. Its not!!!!!! The X800 Pro is kicking the XL's butt in the ORB! The highest that I have seen the core on an XL is 499 they are clocking the cores on the PRO's in the 550 range. This SUX!

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

The pipelines are the advanatage for the X800XL, the Low-K dialectric insulation is the overclocking advanatage for the PRO.

If the X800XL were on a 110nm LowK core, you'd likely see speeds far beyond the X850XTPE, but as the freqency increases so does the circuit crosstalk, and voila disharmony at a far lower speed. I wouldn't be surprised though if ATi also under volted the core or something in order to keep it held back a bit. I haven't heard of voltmods offering that much yet, but it's still early.

It is surprising that in many cases the 130nm GF6800GT and Ultras can OC farther than the X800XL, since they too do not have the benifit of Low-Kd. I wouldn't be surprised if there's hidden ponteital yet. Then again who knows how they packed those transistors, maybe there's a built in 'flaw' to keep them from getting too good for their own good? :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
They arent talking about anything significant as far as volt mods in the ORB. If you hear of something let me know. Its going to be a long night. It may come down to putting the whole friggin system in the freezer :lol:

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

LOL!

MMMmm RadeonCicle!

Volt mods usually come a bit after the reference designs, once people have pocked around enough with probes etc. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the X800XL isn't undervolted or something, but could be something else. Or maybe the X800xl just SUXOR! :tongue:

Long live the GMA900! :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

There's a VoltMOD I've seen, but the guys at Rage3D don't see much return from doing it (other than heat). I think it's still more geared for the R420 and R480 cards IMO;

<A HREF="http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/112" target="_new">http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/112</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks, I will check it out. The temps dropped outside around 15C and its made a big difference with the OC. I just cranked out 5848 in 3DMark05 464/610. Im going to wait a couple more hours and see if the temp drops some more. Im not far from catching the top spot in the X800XL category.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

I hope GGA is right about the potential volt mod :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Its still a great card, but it really chaps my arse that the X800Pro is kicking the X800XL all over the place. Have you built that system yet?

I hit 4.8 in case I didnt tell you. barely even got a screen shot before it crashed.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

Halfway, grumble grumble... kids, grumble grumble... work, grumble grumble... I'm gonna try to finish today before i go to work at 3pm PST. It's now 11AM PST. Gives me probably about 2 hours. God, my body aches right now. I've been trying to dig a 100' drainage ditch in my yard to deal with some water pooling around my house when it rains, and it SUCKS!! Apparaently my house was built on a fuggin granite quarry or something...*rubs sore back*

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Actually that is the Voltmod that was done to the the X800XL thats in the lead in the ORB. Thanks for the link. Im close enough that this may be all I need to jump in the lead. Im running 5th right now, and some of the members over there have already started to flame me. Some of those guys have a complex about outsiders putting pressure on the #1 spots. I made sure that they new where home was for me :wink: Notice that I plugged THG in the title <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectsearch" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectsearch</A> Im The 5th or 6th one down the list.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

pauldh

Illustrious
Pretty amazing, you aren't far off #1 and he's got you on core speed big time. And even in 3dmark05, to see a P4 keep up with a 3.0GHz A64....very impressive Mozz.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks! It takes some work keeping up with the AMD crowd. Im running 5th in 03 also, but 01 is a totally different story. Im not even on the radar in that one. What is it about 01 that would keep me so far off the chart. From the scores it seems that PCMark 04 is geared heavely in Intels favor, it must lean on high clock speed.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im thinking about loading a clean install of Win 2KPro and giving it a shot just to see what happens.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
well you kinda deserve that.. upgrading from a pro to the XL.. what the hell were you thinking

they arent THAT far apart in performance anyway!

its like me goign from 6800GTs to a Ultra.. who gives a damn.. shouldve waited for next gen and got something that really is an improvement

waste of time and money to take those little itty bitty jumps, this one turned out to be REALLY small it seems

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Who said that I upgraded from a PRO to an XL? I didnt say that. I have never owned an X800 PRO.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I started this post for 2 reasons. One was because of that long wait for the X800XL to not only hit the shelves but also to get down to the MSRP. There are a ton of X800 PROS beating the X800XL in benchmarks. I think that out of the box the XL is the better card, but the core doesnt OC nearly as well as the PRO. So basically I could have had a more competitive OCing card alot sooner, or at least thats the impression that I am under at this point. BTW building and maintaining a high performance system has become my #1 Hobby[/cough addiction] :tongue: I really could care less about how well it plays games because not only do I really suck at games I dont even own one. :lol: I build a few systems on the side for people and it actually has turned into a nice little sideline income, but more important than that, it has become a very good way for me to unwind and chill out after dealing with patients and their problems. Im a wannabe shrink-in-training :tongue:

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

Ok now that's just wrong man, WRONG!! :tongue:

G

Jesus man, you're a friggin machine. What's with the drive to be #1 anyways? Must be a lot of tension at work, eh? Damn, I'll be surprised if you <b> DON'T </b> take the lead. Btw, she's all built, just have to setup BIOS and install everything, and then it should be good. I swear next time I do this I'm gonna take a week vacation when I have all my parts, lol :smile:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The only reason that im after the #1 spot hard and heavy is because as soon as I posted a top 10 score some of the locals started making pissy little comments about me. There are some nice people there that are more than happy to help if you have a question, but there are some real pricks also. I will send you a link to one of the flames, I havent looked at the thread again since I blasted the guy back. It should be interesting. The competition thing started between me and 2 other guys that dont know me. They are super nice and gave some tips that put me ahead of their scores we were trading spots every 5 or 6 hours and it was all good. Then all of a sudden some of the others saw me "The Noob" and its gotten a little out of hand. Im through trying to defend myself, thats what they want me to do. Im just going to keep scratching at the scores. They havent said anything directly, but one the guys thats actually cool sent me an e-mail telling me that some of the heat was because I had TomsHardware in the title of my score "Intel P4 550 mozzartusm@TomsHardware" From the sound of it a couple of them think that we are all losers. Of course you understand that this just motivates me even more.

Congrats on the system, take your time and be very methodical when you begin to install the OS and then drivers and software. Think about how you want the system to be setup before you start. Some planning or just thinking it out will go a long way at this point. Maybe im just to picky about the way I set mine up. One of my big issues is having to many programs in my startup.
BTW, it looks like the 5Ghz plan is not going to happen. I finally got to 4.8 although very unstable and have come to the conclusion that the Mobo is OCd as far as it will go. Thats the end of the line as far as I know so thats it for the clock speed, but im still rippin SiSandra apart.

SiSandra Memory benchmark= Ram INT/RAM FLOAT - 11513MBs/12205MBs this is one of the higher scores but not the highest. Crucial Ballistix 256X2 PC2 5300@DDR2 780 4/4/4/6/4 Voltage 2.0

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I just saw on the Drudge report that Prince Charles isnt planning on changing his wedding date even if it falls on the same day as the Popes funneral. How is that going to set with the British public?

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

Personally I don't care. I think the idea of having a royal family is archaic.

As for the publics reaction, I'm not sure as I didn't even know about it until about 30secs ago when you posted! :lol:

tedlogun

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
um, britain is more protestant than catholic so it wont be as big a deal as you think ;)

----------------------------------------------
great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...

TRENDING THREADS