How to I install GART driver manually?

alex

Hi guys,

I am using Nvidia nForce2 motherboard and want to install their latest
driver. Somehow I don't think the installation is completed and I would like
to manually install them. I figured out all the other drivers update in the
Hardware manager(or is it called device manager? it's the one in the Control
panel/System/Hardware. Sorry my Windows is a non-English edition so the
translated name could be incorrect ), except the GART driver, which I have
absolutely no idea which item on the list it should be updated to. Any ideas?

BTW, does Windows XP professional ed. require the GART driver anyway?

Cheers,
Alex

In device manager /system devices its called the nforce2 AGP Host to PCI
Bridge
right click it and then click update driver
point the wizard to the Nforce2 drivers directory,subdirectory GART
It will find the inf file and install the drivers.
At the present time the best ones are ver 4.40
Of course you could just run the whole driver routine which would install
all of the drivers and if GART was missing it would install.You can check
what version you do have installed by looking at the AGP Host etc and
looking at the driver version.and compare that to the subdirectory GART file
called nv_agp.inf.Just open it with notepad and you will see the version
number in the file.
see this site for the latest that work nicely
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58807
peterk

the problem

Alex wrote:
> I am using Nvidia nForce2 motherboard and want to install their latest
> driver. Somehow I don't think the installation is completed and I
> would like to manually install them. I figured out all the other
> drivers update in the Hardware manager(or is it called device
> manager? it's the one in the Control panel/System/Hardware. Sorry my
> Windows is a non-English edition so the translated name could be
> incorrect ), except the GART driver, which I have absolutely no idea
> which item on the list it should be updated to. Any ideas?
>
> BTW, does Windows XP professional ed. require the GART driver anyway?

I wouldn't think so.. Get the latest Forceware driver and go..

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

alex

Hi Shenan,

Thanks for the reply.

So, do you mean the Windows Professional ed. don't use GART driver?

I am using a ATI video card. Besides, isn't the AGP driver for video card
differnet from the motherboard APG driver? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Also, i think Forceware is only for display cards only, not for the nForce2
motherboard, right?

Cheers,
Alex

Alex wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> So, do you mean the Windows Professional ed. don't use GART driver?
>
> I am using a ATI video card. Besides, isn't the AGP driver for video
> card differnet from the motherboard APG driver? Please correct me if
> I am wrong. Also, i think Forceware is only for display cards only,
> not for the nForce2 motherboard, right?

My bad.

You are installing this, correct?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10

That would be the Unified driver for your Nforce2 mainboard...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

dl

You should obtain the update from your mobo.manu. web site, NOT winupdate
It is likely a self extracting file, and the resuting files usually have a
'setup' file

> Hi Shenan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> So, do you mean the Windows Professional ed. don't use GART driver?
>
> I am using a ATI video card. Besides, isn't the AGP driver for video card
> differnet from the motherboard APG driver? Please correct me if I am
wrong.
> Also, i think Forceware is only for display cards only, not for the
nForce2
> motherboard, right?
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > Alex wrote:
> > > I am using Nvidia nForce2 motherboard and want to install their latest
> > > driver. Somehow I don't think the installation is completed and I
> > > would like to manually install them. I figured out all the other
> > > drivers update in the Hardware manager(or is it called device
> > > manager? it's the one in the Control panel/System/Hardware. Sorry my
> > > Windows is a non-English edition so the translated name could be
> > > incorrect ), except the GART driver, which I have absolutely no idea
> > > which item on the list it should be updated to. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > BTW, does Windows XP professional ed. require the GART driver anyway?
> >
> > I wouldn't think so.. Get the latest Forceware driver and go..
> >
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html
> >
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP
> > --

alexlyf

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005

Hi guys,

I haven't updated my motherboard driver for a long time and tried to install
nForce ver 5.1. The setup get to the setup wizard screen ( the one right
after the splash screen) and the program just closed without notice.

I checked the Device Manager and the driver are still of old version. Also,
the GART for AGP is missing ( I have never notice this before).

Any idea why the update software not working?

Cheers,
Alex