....Or what I think is called a sound driver. Whatever it is, the Sigma Tel
audio stopped working, and I wasn't able to play or record any sort of sound
at all. When the attention sounds on my computer played, they were purely
internal beeps. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the device. I found myself
in "Device Manager" and uninstalled the Sigma Tel device. Perhaps a bad move,
now I have no idea how to reinstall the hardware!! (or for that matter, if
the reinstallation will help at all)

The Hardware should be automatically detected when you reboot.Check under
device manager/sound,videoetc/ to make sure you have not checked the box at
the bottom that says"disable this device" Once the hardware is detected the
drivers should load but you can load them from within device manager .
Then go to control panel/sounds&audio devices to make sure the speakers are
enabled and not muted.
hope this helps
peterk

the problem