What personal data is lost when you reinstall?

June 12, 2005 5:01:01 PM

I have had a crash of my system that I cannot resolve. Essentiually the
compluter freezes on the windows splash screen. I cannot get into the system
with any safe mode and I cannot see my hard drive when I go into console mode
when booting from the CD.... I have decided that I will use the CD and
reinstall windows. My hard drive is a RAID drive of 4 drive in RAID 0 all
mapped and mounted to a C: drive. The windows DIR and personal files are all
on the same drive though my personal files and setting are in a seperate DIR
structure, not under MY Documents. I want to know if I can reinstall without
lossing all the data that is in my personal folders? If not any suggestions
on how to access my data for backup purposes would be appreciated.
June 12, 2005 5:15:02 PM

To perform a complete clean reinstall of XP you will lose all personal files.
Try a Repair install with the CD first before a drastic XP reinstall.
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Michael Burke" wrote:

> I have had a crash of my system that I cannot resolve. Essentiually the
> compluter freezes on the windows splash screen. I cannot get into the system
> with any safe mode and I cannot see my hard drive when I go into console mode
> when booting from the CD.... I have decided that I will use the CD and
> reinstall windows. My hard drive is a RAID drive of 4 drive in RAID 0 all
> mapped and mounted to a C: drive. The windows DIR and personal files are all
> on the same drive though my personal files and setting are in a seperate DIR
> structure, not under MY Documents. I want to know if I can reinstall without
> lossing all the data that is in my personal folders? If not any suggestions
> on how to access my data for backup purposes would be appreciated.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:16:31 PM

Michael Burke wrote:
> I have had a crash of my system that I cannot resolve. Essentiually
> the compluter freezes on the windows splash screen. I cannot get
> into the system with any safe mode and I cannot see my hard drive
> when I go into console mode when booting from the CD.... I have
> decided that I will use the CD and reinstall windows. My hard drive
> is a RAID drive of 4 drive in RAID 0 all mapped and mounted to a C:
> drive. The windows DIR and personal files are all on the same drive
> though my personal files and setting are in a seperate DIR structure,
> not under MY Documents. I want to know if I can reinstall without
> lossing all the data that is in my personal folders? If not any
> suggestions on how to access my data for backup purposes would be
> appreciated.

If you perform a clean install - everything is lost - all programs and
setting and files that you did not manually back up and that are on the same
partition as the one you decide to install on.

If you perform a repair install, usually nothing is lost. This is why most
people should do a repair install if they cannot currently backup their
files, documents, email, contacts, pictures, drawings, spreadsheets, etc and
then backup and consider if they need to perform a clean installation...

If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
you in making this new CD from the old one.

Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Perform a Repair installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

You could access your data for backup by performing a parallel install or
using something like the UBCD for Windows:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Know that after a parallel install, you may have to "take ownership" of
files and folders in order to access them.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

And if your problem is caused by hardware you will lose all data anyway as
raid 0 has no fault tolerance

"Michael Burke" <Michael Burke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have had a crash of my system that I cannot resolve. Essentiually the
> compluter freezes on the windows splash screen. I cannot get into the
system
> with any safe mode and I cannot see my hard drive when I go into console
mode
> when booting from the CD.... I have decided that I will use the CD and
> reinstall windows. My hard drive is a RAID drive of 4 drive in RAID 0 all
> mapped and mounted to a C: drive. The windows DIR and personal files are
all
> on the same drive though my personal files and setting are in a seperate
DIR
> structure, not under MY Documents. I want to know if I can reinstall
without
> lossing all the data that is in my personal folders? If not any
suggestions
> on how to access my data for backup purposes would be appreciated.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:12:58 AM

I suggest when you rebuild to use RAID 10, since you have 4 drives. That's
RAID 0 + RAID 1, stripping and mirroring, you'll have the best of both
worlds.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com