skill in one game increases if you play others?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
do you think that the key to being good at fps games is to play a broad range of fps? i couldnt figure out why i was not improving my game in counter strike, no matter what tactic i use i couldnt get my average above 1:1, usually it was lower. then i started playing unreal tournament 2003. i went back to playing counter strike more frequently, i noticed my game has improved dramaticaly!!!! i played several servers to make sure it wasnt a fluke, maybe they just sucked. i ruled in every place i went! one server i had 4:1 ratio, others i had 3:1. on the busyest server i could find i was dominating at 2:1! i was amazed. is that all i have been missing all this time?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I dunno, maybe.
I have played MOHAA a massive amount of time and my skills are getting better
all the time, from 1:1 to 3:1 to 19:0 (happened once, domination, ha!ha!ha!).
Now it always is around 3:1, sometimes higher...it depends on the other players
skill (oh, really?).
Yesterday I installed Wolfenstein (have played it thru before) just to see how it
looked with my new graphicscard...man!, it´s so freaking fast compared to MOHAA.

I figure, if I play Wolfenstein alot I should get better at MOHAA as it is much slower.
Faster game=faster reflexes!?

<font color=red>I need a sig</font color=red>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Ive been known to have a 7:1 and sometimes 14:1 and anything in between. Its simply practice at one game and thats it. I played UT for 6 months straight but couldnt get a ride to reginals but found out later i could have been top 10 easily.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Well. I dont stand a chance against my friend in Quake III. But at CS, I completely crush him. I guess being good at a wide range of FPS makes you better at each seperate one, but its moslty practice in the one game that matters. Playing other FPS can teach you a few extra moves though...

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I don't think so. I play Counter-Strike online exclusively and depending on opponents and server's setup against your setup I believe plays more of a role. Also depends on where the server is located, your location and of course the traffic. Somedays I'd be on a fast server and I can't kill anyone and on slower servers I'd either be first, second or third. I'm still running an old 900Athlon w/ 512MB w/ a GeForce 2MX400 so I'm about in the middle. Or maybe I'm going the way of the dinosaur. :eek:)

<font color=blue> You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!</font color=blue>