Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Running Win8 in VM

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Virtual Machine
  • Virtual PC
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
Share
a b * Windows 8
August 29, 2012 9:33:32 AM

Hey, people. Would anyone know which is the best virtual machine program to run Windows 8 between Vmware, virtual box and virtual pc? What would be the best configuration to achieve the best speed?

More about : running win8

Related resources
August 29, 2012 10:28:04 AM

Whats your PC specs?

RAM+CPU?
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 10:41:23 AM

Technically, I don't think any VM has problems.
While I haven't used VirtualPc in a long time, between VMWare and Virtualbox, the latter is opensource with few restriced modules, while VMware has a free player, but to create/modify a virtual machine you would need a fully licensed workstation (at least).
The Virtualbox restriced modules are: guest USB2.0 support (1.1 if opensource), RDP support (remote desktop through host OS) and PXE boot with E1000 (network boot from an emulated intel gigabit network adapter). Basically I would say nothing VM enthusiast would really need.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
August 29, 2012 11:01:55 AM

VMWare Workstation is by far the most powerful, stable, and well supported of the bunch. If it's a debate between the three with no other factors then it's Workstation hands down with no argument. The free version, VMWare Player is based off the same codebase so it shares the same stability, but there are a few features that have been stripped out and reserved for paying users.

Virtualbox has a large number of features (albeit less than Workstation) but lacks the support and stability found in VMWare Player.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
August 29, 2012 1:10:26 PM

nikorr said:
Whats your PC specs?

RAM+CPU?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
My machine has 4GB of ram. I need at least 1gb of ram for the guest Win8 machine, but it still runs so slow and laggy. Unfortunately my motherboard only supports up to 4gb of ram or else I'd have definetly upgraded
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 1:39:30 PM

Well, try https://www.virtualbox.org/ .

Too bad u don't have more RAM and quad core CPU. It won't be a speed daemon on your configuration.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
August 29, 2012 1:46:04 PM

No, I'm afraid it won't be unfortunately! :) 
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 1:50:51 PM

Best of luck!
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
August 30, 2012 1:51:33 AM

The Stealthinator said:
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
My machine has 4GB of ram. I need at least 1gb of ram for the guest Win8 machine, but it still runs so slow and laggy. Unfortunately my motherboard only supports up to 4gb of ram or else I'd have definetly upgraded


Some Core2 CPUs lack the virtualization extensions necessary for proper hosting of guest operating systems. 32 bit operating systems can be hosted without them but for 64 bit operating systems this is only possible on AMD CPUs.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 4:52:14 PM

vmware is most powerful but you have to pay for it, virtual box is free AND open source.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
August 30, 2012 6:12:57 PM

Victor_35 said:
vmware is most powerful but you have to pay for it, virtual box is free AND open source.


I've had tons of issues with Virtualbox. It's certainly the most usable free desktop virtualization platform but it's notoriously buggy. I've heard horror stories of people losing VMs as they try to port them forward.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 4:14:04 PM

Hi, I have just done a blog on Windows Server 2012 (which is basically Windows 8 server version ). I used VirtualBox for many reasons.

Take a look here

http://sites.google.com/site/tecchie2011/virtualisation...

Hope that helps
Frank

The Stealthinator said:
Hey, people. Would anyone know which is the best virtual machine program to run Windows 8 between Vmware, virtual box and virtual pc? What would be the best configuration to achieve the best speed?

m
0
l
September 5, 2012 8:01:44 PM

vmware didn't work, but vbox did.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 10:31:29 PM

Pinhedd said:
I've had tons of issues with Virtualbox. It's certainly the most usable free desktop virtualization platform but it's notoriously buggy. I've heard horror stories of people losing VMs as they try to port them forward.


In my case I don't have a VM license and Virtual PC does not support 64bit (major drawback)...so far the Server 2012 is running very stable ...am intending on trying Exchange Server 2010 on it soon when I get some time. Maybe I'll give it some more ram and up the cores to 3 ...we'll see :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
September 7, 2012 8:19:15 PM

Victor_35 said:
vmware is most powerful but you have to pay for it, virtual box is free AND open source.


Vmware player is also free, and the latest version (5.0.0) supports Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Share
a b * Windows 8
September 7, 2012 8:26:01 PM

fxv300 said:
In my case I don't have a VM license and Virtual PC does not support 64bit (major drawback)...so far the Server 2012 is running very stable ...am intending on trying Exchange Server 2010 on it soon when I get some time. Maybe I'll give it some more ram and up the cores to 3 ...we'll see :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 


Worked fine for me on Windows 7 x64 when I was using it. If you can't run 64 bit VM's, turn Virtualization on in your BIOS.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
September 7, 2012 11:05:07 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Worked fine for me on Windows 7 x64 when I was using it. If you can't run 64 bit VM's, turn Virtualization on in your BIOS.


This is the culprit 90% of the time
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
September 8, 2012 2:11:17 AM

Best answer selected by The Stealthinator.
m
0
l
!