Fatal System Error / stop Error

June 12, 2005 6:16:05 PM

I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest updates.
The only software that I have loaded recently has been for a new HP Deskjet
5100 and Norton Anti Virus 2005.
I am running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and keep this up to date.
At some point one of these must have installed an update that has given me a
conflict. I have had occasional "blue screens" and had to reboot. Now the
system refused to stay up - each reboot gives me the same blue screen, hangs
briefly and then reboots.

The error message is:

*** STOP 0x000000c4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

then "beginning dump of physical memory". "Physical dump completed"

Higher up in the message it says that "a device attempting to corrupt the
system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack must
be replaced".

I have used F8 at start up and tried all the otions for booting - debugging,
last know configuration etc , etc. the only one that works is safe mode.
However, in that mode, I cannot use my CD-writer, USB ports etc so can't
extract data, should I need to clean install. My last back up was a month
ago. I have the data, via Safe Mode operation, but can't do a new backup in
Safe Mode and am loath to reinstall all my apps.

Oh and I can't uninstall any apps such as the printer driver or Norton as
this doesn't work in SM also.

Can anyone tell me how I can locate and troubleshoot the rogue driver and
extract it please?

I am at the edge of my PC compitency and would be really grateful for some
help.

Many thanks in advance.

Geoffrey G
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:31:08 PM

The horse is out of the barn on this one, but I'd ditch Norton..I finally
did after three years.
Anyway, see if this helps...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325672

"FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest updates.
> The only software that I have loaded recently has been for a new HP
> Deskjet
> 5100 and Norton Anti Virus 2005.
> I am running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and keep this up to date.
> At some point one of these must have installed an update that has given me
> conflict. I have had occasional "blue screens" and had to reboot. Now the
> system refused to stay up - each reboot gives me the same blue screen,
> hangs
> briefly and then reboots.
>
> The error message is:
>
> *** STOP 0x000000c4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> then "beginning dump of physical memory". "Physical dump completed"
>
> Higher up in the message it says that "a device attempting to corrupt the
> system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack
> must
> be replaced".
>
> I have used F8 at start up and tried all the otions for booting -
> debugging,
> last know configuration etc , etc. the only one that works is safe mode.
> However, in that mode, I cannot use my CD-writer, USB ports etc so can't
> extract data, should I need to clean install. My last back up was a month
> ago. I have the data, via Safe Mode operation, but can't do a new backup
> in
> Safe Mode and am loath to reinstall all my apps.
>
> Oh and I can't uninstall any apps such as the printer driver or Norton as
> this doesn't work in SM also.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can locate and troubleshoot the rogue driver and
> extract it please?
>
> I am at the edge of my PC compitency and would be really grateful for some
> help.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Geoffrey G
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:30:07 PM

Hi,

The dump file (.dmp) it creates will probably contain the needed
information. Send it to me at the address used here, change the subject line
to "per req" (without the quotes). I will see if I can decipher it for you.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest updates.
> The only software that I have loaded recently has been for a new HP
> Deskjet
> 5100 and Norton Anti Virus 2005.
> I am running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and keep this up to date.
> At some point one of these must have installed an update that has given me
> conflict. I have had occasional "blue screens" and had to reboot. Now the
> system refused to stay up - each reboot gives me the same blue screen,
> hangs
> briefly and then reboots.
>
> The error message is:
>
> *** STOP 0x000000c4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> then "beginning dump of physical memory". "Physical dump completed"
>
> Higher up in the message it says that "a device attempting to corrupt the
> system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack
> must
> be replaced".
>
> I have used F8 at start up and tried all the otions for booting -
> debugging,
> last know configuration etc , etc. the only one that works is safe mode.
> However, in that mode, I cannot use my CD-writer, USB ports etc so can't
> extract data, should I need to clean install. My last back up was a month
> ago. I have the data, via Safe Mode operation, but can't do a new backup
> in
> Safe Mode and am loath to reinstall all my apps.
>
> Oh and I can't uninstall any apps such as the printer driver or Norton as
> this doesn't work in SM also.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can locate and troubleshoot the rogue driver and
> extract it please?
>
> I am at the edge of my PC compitency and would be really grateful for some
> help.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Geoffrey G
June 13, 2005 5:09:01 AM

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The dump file (.dmp) it creates will probably contain the needed
> information. Send it to me at the address used here, change the subject line
> to "per req" (without the quotes). I will see if I can decipher it for you.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest updates.
> > The only software that I have loaded recently has been for a new HP
> > Deskjet
> > 5100 and Norton Anti Virus 2005.
> > I am running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and keep this up to date.
> > At some point one of these must have installed an update that has given me
> > conflict. I have had occasional "blue screens" and had to reboot. Now the
> > system refused to stay up - each reboot gives me the same blue screen,
> > hangs
> > briefly and then reboots.
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > *** STOP 0x000000c4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
> >
> > then "beginning dump of physical memory". "Physical dump completed"
> >
> > Higher up in the message it says that "a device attempting to corrupt the
> > system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack
> > must
> > be replaced".
> >
> > I have used F8 at start up and tried all the otions for booting -
> > debugging,
> > last know configuration etc , etc. the only one that works is safe mode.
> > However, in that mode, I cannot use my CD-writer, USB ports etc so can't
> > extract data, should I need to clean install. My last back up was a month
> > ago. I have the data, via Safe Mode operation, but can't do a new backup
> > in
> > Safe Mode and am loath to reinstall all my apps.
> >
> > Oh and I can't uninstall any apps such as the printer driver or Norton as
> > this doesn't work in SM also.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how I can locate and troubleshoot the rogue driver and
> > extract it please?
> >
> > I am at the edge of my PC compitency and would be really grateful for some
> > help.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Geoffrey G
>

> Thanks, Rick.

I have sent the dump to rick@rickrogers.org, which I hope is the right mail
address.

By the way, what a great site. I will certainly contribute to its upkeep,
whatever.

Regards

Geoffrey
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:52:04 AM

"lvee" wrote:

> The horse is out of the barn on this one, but I'd ditch Norton..I finally
> did after three years.
> Anyway, see if this helps...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325672
>

> "FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest updates.
> > The only software that I have loaded recently has been for a new HP
> > Deskjet
> > 5100 and Norton Anti Virus 2005.
> > I am running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and keep this up to date.
> > At some point one of these must have installed an update that has given me
> > conflict. I have had occasional "blue screens" and had to reboot. Now the
> > system refused to stay up - each reboot gives me the same blue screen,
> > hangs
> > briefly and then reboots.
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > *** STOP 0x000000c4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
> >
> > then "beginning dump of physical memory". "Physical dump completed"
> >
> > Higher up in the message it says that "a device attempting to corrupt the
> > system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack
> > must
> > be replaced".
> >
> > I have used F8 at start up and tried all the otions for booting -
> > debugging,
> > last know configuration etc , etc. the only one that works is safe mode.
> > However, in that mode, I cannot use my CD-writer, USB ports etc so can't
> > extract data, should I need to clean install. My last back up was a month
> > ago. I have the data, via Safe Mode operation, but can't do a new backup
> > in
> > Safe Mode and am loath to reinstall all my apps.
> >
> > Oh and I can't uninstall any apps such as the printer driver or Norton as
> > this doesn't work in SM also.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how I can locate and troubleshoot the rogue driver and
> > extract it please?
> >
> > I am at the edge of my PC compitency and would be really grateful for some
> > help.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Geoffrey G
>

> Thanks, Ivee. For your and anyone else's information, Rick looked at my dumps and correctly ascertained that the rogue file was a NAV one. I managed to manually delete all but one called NAVShExt.dll to which I am not allowed access. However, on rebooting, everything seems stable, once more. No NAV near my machines again!

Thanks again, Rick

Regards to all

Geoffrey
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:14:22 PM

Good, I'm glad it's resolved.
If you want to rid your pc of Norton, post back. There are other AV's out
there that are less resource hogs, and don't conflict with so many other
things.

> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> The horse is out of the barn on this one, but I'd ditch Norton..I finally
>> did after three years.
>> Anyway, see if this helps...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325672
>>

>> "FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest updates.
>> > The only software that I have loaded recently has been for a new HP
>> > Deskjet
>> > 5100 and Norton Anti Virus 2005.
>> > I am running ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and keep this up to date.
>> > At some point one of these must have installed an update that has given
>> > me
>> > conflict. I have had occasional "blue screens" and had to reboot. Now
>> > the
>> > system refused to stay up - each reboot gives me the same blue screen,
>> > hangs
>> > briefly and then reboots.
>> >
>> > The error message is:
>> >
>> > *** STOP 0x000000c4 (0x00000090, 0xFFDFF120, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>> >
>> > then "beginning dump of physical memory". "Physical dump completed"
>> >
>> > Higher up in the message it says that "a device attempting to corrupt
>> > the
>> > system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack
>> > must
>> > be replaced".
>> >
>> > I have used F8 at start up and tried all the otions for booting -
>> > debugging,
>> > last know configuration etc , etc. the only one that works is safe
>> > mode.
>> > However, in that mode, I cannot use my CD-writer, USB ports etc so
>> > can't
>> > extract data, should I need to clean install. My last back up was a
>> > month
>> > ago. I have the data, via Safe Mode operation, but can't do a new
>> > backup
>> > in
>> > Safe Mode and am loath to reinstall all my apps.
>> >
>> > Oh and I can't uninstall any apps such as the printer driver or Norton
>> > as
>> > this doesn't work in SM also.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me how I can locate and troubleshoot the rogue driver
>> > and
>> > extract it please?
>> >
>> > I am at the edge of my PC compitency and would be really grateful for
>> > some
>> > help.
>> >
>> > Many thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Geoffrey G
>>

>> Thanks, Ivee. For your and anyone else's information, Rick looked at my
>> dumps and correctly ascertained that the rogue file was a NAV one. I
>> managed to manually delete all but one called NAVShExt.dll to which I am
>> not allowed access. However, on rebooting, everything seems stable, once
>> more. No NAV near my machines again!
>
> Thanks again, Rick
>
> Regards to all
>
> Geoffrey
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:14:23 PM

"lvee" wrote:

> Good, I'm glad it's resolved.
> If you want to rid your pc of Norton, post back. There are other AV's out
> there that are less resource hogs, and don't conflict with so many other
> things.
>

> "FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> >> The horse is out of the barn on this one, but I'd ditch Norton..I finally
> >> did after three years.
> >> Anyway, see if this helps...
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325672
> >>

> >> "FalcoPilot" <FalcoPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Thanks, Ivee. For your and anyone else's information, Rick looked at my
> >> dumps and correctly ascertained that the rogue file was a NAV one. I
> >> managed to manually delete all but one called NAVShExt.dll to which I am
> >> not allowed access. However, on rebooting, everything seems stable, once
> >> more. No NAV near my machines again!
> >
> > Thanks again, Rick
> >
> > Regards to all
> >
> > Geoffrey
>
> Ivee,

yes, I am going to keep Norton off this machine entirely. I was looking at
Mcafee and Sophos, but the latter is a really expensive fee ona monthly basis
for what it does, aimed, I guess at the big IT depts. The only bad things
that I have heard about Mcafee is the pop up advertising, but it does seem to
work.

Regards

Geoffrey

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:56:52 AM

Hi Geoffrey,

Actually, I meant for you to use rick@mvps.org, but that's fine. For those
following the thread, the dumps all pointed to the faulty file being
savrt.sys, a Symantec file.

--

!