2 Windows XP s

My computer was completely corrupted, so I wiped it clean. I used the Windows
re-installation CD that I got with my computer (a Dell laptop). The process
seemed to go normally. When Windows restarted, it went to a black screen that
wanted me to choose between Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft
Windows XP Home Edition. I tested them both. The 2nd one didn't work at all
and took me back to the menu. The 1st one works, but has limited
capabilities. It no longer has a resolution option for wide screens, it
doesn't have the option of Stand By, and it makes waves across everything
when scrolling and when the blue "Welcome" page comes up when booting, just
to name a few. I went through the whole process again, thinking I had missed
something, but I had the same result. I also tried to repair Windows, to no
avail.
Perhaps it's something I don't understand. Could it have something to do
with partitioning? I followed Dell's instructions exactly, but they just
didn't work.

brain_kick wrote:
> My computer was completely corrupted, so I wiped it clean. I used the
> Windows re-installation CD that I got with my computer (a Dell
> laptop). The process seemed to go normally. When Windows restarted,
> it went to a black screen that wanted me to choose between Microsoft
> Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. I
> tested them both. The 2nd one didn't work at all and took me back to
> the menu. The 1st one works, but has limited capabilities. It no
> longer has a resolution option for wide screens, it doesn't have the
> option of Stand By, and it makes waves across everything when
> scrolling and when the blue "Welcome" page comes up when booting,
> just to name a few. I went through the whole process again, thinking
> I had missed something, but I had the same result. I also tried to
> repair Windows, to no avail.

You need to finish installing - go to Dell's website, type in the Service
Tag number after you select to look through the downloads and get the latest
drivers - this includes for your monitor if you have a widescreen.

> Perhaps it's something I don't understand. Could it have something to
> do with partitioning? I followed Dell's instructions exactly, but
> they just didn't work.

You have two installs because you chose to install on the same partition as
the old install instead of wiping and installing from scratch.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP