why!?! why must I give up my precious fast writes!

CombatWombat

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
hello again , I have recently purchased an Evga Geforce 6800 ultra from newegg.com to go along with my nice new happy box containing splinter cell Chaos theory. first things first however, before running the game I do a few benchmarks to see if everything is kosher. Confirmed, 75,000 in aqua 3 sounds kosher enough, so i proceed to run splinter cell, however anywhere between 10-30 secs into the game, it freezes and is un-recoverable ( only a restart works =/ )
I have recently discovered that turning off FAST WRITES for this game cures the errors that were occuring previously
my questios to u guys are

1) I was under the presumtion that fast writes were a positive thing to have turned on in a system, and that they helped improve framerates, not crash games.from what i remember they allow the cpu to send instructions directly to the gpu by bypassing something or other. so why is SCCT requiring me turn them off for me to maintain playability

2.) theoretically, what kind of performance loss am I looking at,(if any) from leaving them turned off ?

thanks for the info take care !!!

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Theres little to no performance loss so dont worry.

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Ah.. it is the same old story again.. Go to eVGA support, register your card and you will be able to download the BIOS update. It will set your 2D and performance 3D clock speeds to the same value (425MHz) you <font color=red>DO NOT</font color=red> need to disable fast writes.... guaranteed. The problem is with the difference between 2D and 3D clocks and how the software reacts to when the game swithces from a 2D screen, such as a loading screen, to the 3D game play screen.....

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey Combatwombat, I had an Ace 90 and only dreampt of it being a Combat Wombat.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>