ok so i installed linux ubuntu just to try it out. and at first i was able to
boot xp from the dual boot menu but then suddenly it would get a third of the
way through the booth screen and restart so i booted with xp boot disks and
deleted the partition that linux was on and windows would almost boot but at
the autochk screren it says "autochck missing - skipping AUTOCHECK and then
it restarts and continues this over and over again in a cycle

Hi,

Autochk.exe is normally in the \Windows\system32 folder, but I'm guessing
that you didn't have a choice to redirect the search. Sounds like you need
to run fixmbr from the WinXP CD by loading the Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/