How do I delete P2P in Control Panel?

June 13, 2005 2:35:01 AM

My husband has downloaded and tried to install a common file sharing
software. After discovering all the adware that comes with it, I uninstalled
it and deleted all it's components (or so I thought.) I recently found a
"P2P Networking" icon in the control panel. When I right-click on it, I have
two options: "open" and "create shortcut". How do I delete this thing?!!!
Maybe it's not bothering anything, but just sitting there, but it's bothering
ME!! Please help. Thanks!
June 13, 2005 10:17:20 AM

Krystal Flower wrote:
> My husband has downloaded and tried to install a common file sharing
> software. After discovering all the adware that comes with it, I uninstalled
> it and deleted all it's components (or so I thought.) I recently found a
> "P2P Networking" icon in the control panel. When I right-click on it, I have
> two options: "open" and "create shortcut". How do I delete this thing?!!!
> Maybe it's not bothering anything, but just sitting there, but it's bothering
> ME!! Please help. Thanks!

Use the Find tool to locate all files with the .CPL extension. (They're
typically tucked into the Windows/System or Windows/System32 folders, so
if you limit your searches to those directories, you'll find them.) The
filenames are pretty cryptic, so it pays to open each that you've
targeted for deletion before deleting. Delete the unwanted applets --
or, to play it safe, just move them to another folder.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:25:52 PM

Hi Krystal,

How to remove an invalid icon in the Control Panel?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cpicon.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User