MP3 running file lost

I've somehow managed to lose the file that allows me to use mp3 files, if I
try to run one it asks me to find "Program.exe". Where can i find/retrieve
this file?

Tyranid Prince wrote:
> I've somehow managed to lose the file that allows me to use mp3
> files, if I try to run one it asks me to find "Program.exe". Where
> can i find/retrieve this file?

Still have Media Player?
Then you can still play it.

Just go download and install/reinstall Media Player 10..
Google for it or search Microsoft's web page..
Or..
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Tyranid,

You can fix the audio and video file association settings by using this
command (from Start, Run)

%Systemroot%\INF\unregmp2.exe /SetWMPAsDefault

Note that this fixes the file associations, and also sets Windows Media
Player as the default handler for all the audio and video file types.
Alternately, you can launch WMPlayer.exe from Run dialog, and then fix the
association for .mp3 file type.

If that does not help, try WMP10 as Shenan said.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> You can fix the audio and video file association settings by using
> this command (from Start, Run)
>
> %Systemroot%\INF\unregmp2.exe /SetWMPAsDefault
>
> Note that this fixes the file associations, and also sets Windows
> Media Player as the default handler for all the audio and video file
> types. Alternately, you can launch WMPlayer.exe from Run dialog, and
> then fix the association for .mp3 file type.

Another one of those hidden command line re-regs..

Thanks Ramesh.. Filing away for later use.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You're welcome Shenan. It's a command-line equivalent of Set Program Access
and Defaults.

--

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> You can fix the audio and video file association settings by using
>> this command (from Start, Run)
>>
>> %Systemroot%\INF\unregmp2.exe /SetWMPAsDefault
>>
>> Note that this fixes the file associations, and also sets Windows
>> Media Player as the default handler for all the audio and video file
>> types. Alternately, you can launch WMPlayer.exe from Run dialog, and
>> then fix the association for .mp3 file type.
>
> Another one of those hidden command line re-regs..
>
> Thanks Ramesh.. Filing away for later use.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --