Can I add a wireless PCMCIA to a laptop with already built..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 5:08:48 PM

I have a laptop that has built-in 802.11b wireless. My friend's
network is 802.11g, and I want to be able to take advantage of the
increased speed. Can I add a 802.11g pcmcia card to my laptop and
still be able to use my built-in 802.11b when I'm not on my friend's
network?
Thanks.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:38:58 AM

rebates@hotmail.com (kranke@hotmail.com) wrote in

> Can I add a 802.11g pcmcia card to my laptop and
> still be able to use my built-in 802.11b when I'm not on my friend's
> network?

Yes.

802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless

kranke@hotmail.com <rebates@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a laptop that has built-in 802.11b wireless. My friend's
> network is 802.11g, and I want to be able to take advantage of the
> increased speed. Can I add a 802.11g pcmcia card to my laptop and
> still be able to use my built-in 802.11b when I'm not on my friend's
> network?

On some laptops, you may be able to replace the built-in wireless.
What's the model number?
Is the wireless bit mini-pci?
April 19, 2004 11:47:39 AM

Yes