Sign in with
Your question

Caught between a rock and a hard place...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2005 6:28:51 PM

My current video card sux (All-In-Wonder 8500DV) and would like to upgrade to something faster with tv on the pc. Unfortunately if I do upgrade, it will be to a card that will be unusable in a year (when I intend to buy a new pc, AGP out x16 in). Are there any good stopgap video/tv cards out there at a reasonable price? Was interested in the AIW X800XT, but it is AGP and is unusable in the x16 slots.

PC Configuration:
Intel 845PEBT2 Motherboard
Intel P-4 2.4ghz
1 gig ram
80 gb hd
ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 DV
SB Audigy Gamer
Dell 2005fpW

More about : caught rock hard place

April 9, 2005 7:07:45 PM

what kind of price range are we talking, because i recommend the AIW9800pro, (i dont know what the US pricing is) and if you can afford/find it the AIWx800xt as it has the performance to tackle any program you throw at it, within reason

----------------------------------------------
great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...
April 9, 2005 7:54:22 PM

There is no such card that is usable in AGP and PCI Express, your only choice is to SELL YOUR ENTIRE COMPUTER NOW!

Your other choice, which I really don't consider a choice, because it requires you to buy a ECS Socket775 board, it will support both PCI Express and AGP, but performance on the AGP is horrible.

In a year you can still upgrade to AGP, I'm pretty damn sure that AGP will be around for a very long time.
Related resources
April 9, 2005 8:50:47 PM

Unfortunately, it looks as if AGP is being dumped in favor of x16 on new motherboards.... A new pc, eh? Hmmmmm, must think about that.
April 10, 2005 1:40:17 AM

There *are* some VIA motherboards out there that will take both an AGP and PCI-e videocard tho... unfortunately, at this point they're all Intel, no A64 mobos yet.

!