Caught between a rock and a hard place...

My current video card sux (All-In-Wonder 8500DV) and would like to upgrade to something faster with tv on the pc. Unfortunately if I do upgrade, it will be to a card that will be unusable in a year (when I intend to buy a new pc, AGP out x16 in). Are there any good stopgap video/tv cards out there at a reasonable price? Was interested in the AIW X800XT, but it is AGP and is unusable in the x16 slots.

PC Configuration:
Intel 845PEBT2 Motherboard
Intel P-4 2.4ghz
1 gig ram
80 gb hd
ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 DV
SB Audigy Gamer
Dell 2005fpW
4 answers Last reply
More about caught rock hard place
  1. what kind of price range are we talking, because i recommend the AIW9800pro, (i dont know what the US pricing is) and if you can afford/find it the AIWx800xt as it has the performance to tackle any program you throw at it, within reason

----------------------------------------------
    great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...
  2. There is no such card that is usable in AGP and PCI Express, your only choice is to SELL YOUR ENTIRE COMPUTER NOW!

Your other choice, which I really don't consider a choice, because it requires you to buy a ECS Socket775 board, it will support both PCI Express and AGP, but performance on the AGP is horrible.

In a year you can still upgrade to AGP, I'm pretty damn sure that AGP will be around for a very long time.
  3. Unfortunately, it looks as if AGP is being dumped in favor of x16 on new motherboards.... A new pc, eh? Hmmmmm, must think about that.
  4. There *are* some VIA motherboards out there that will take both an AGP and PCI-e videocard tho... unfortunately, at this point they're all Intel, no A64 mobos yet.

Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics