STILL cannot add or see printers, but they work, services ..

June 13, 2005 11:29:02 AM

I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
This is a new machine with xp pro sp2. I am the admin. I am the IT/CAD
manager here although my IT experiance is learn as I go. (Lucky me). We have
a mix of equipment here: 3 xp machines (mine is the only sp2), 1 ME machine
and the rest are 98se's. We have a 98se machine for a FILE SERVER. We use
LanTastic for our software to asign rights to different groups of workers. IE
the engineers don't have access to the office files etc. As far as I can see
nothing is hidden. By the way, THE LASERJET 4 PLUS IS ON A SEPARATE, STAND
ALONE PRINT SERVER, NOT RUN THROUGH THE FILE SERVER.
Again I have all rights to both machines, I obviously was able originally to
install these printers or they woudln't work at all. Besides, the laserjet on
the print server which is run through a hub wouldn't have any rights issues
that I know of.
Thanks for your help,
Rick
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:48:00 PM

Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM & LPT).
select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E13FC3DB-607E-49DE-9BBF-D01335741E50@microsoft.com...
>I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
> print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
> Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
> the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
> and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
> checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
> I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
> on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
> tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
> me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
> This is a new machine with xp pro sp2. I am the admin. I am the IT/CAD
> manager here although my IT experiance is learn as I go. (Lucky me). We have
> a mix of equipment here: 3 xp machines (mine is the only sp2), 1 ME machine
> and the rest are 98se's. We have a 98se machine for a FILE SERVER. We use
> LanTastic for our software to asign rights to different groups of workers. IE
> the engineers don't have access to the office files etc. As far as I can see
> nothing is hidden. By the way, THE LASERJET 4 PLUS IS ON A SEPARATE, STAND
> ALONE PRINT SERVER, NOT RUN THROUGH THE FILE SERVER.
> Again I have all rights to both machines, I obviously was able originally to
> install these printers or they woudln't work at all. Besides, the laserjet on
> the print server which is run through a hub wouldn't have any rights issues
> that I know of.
> Thanks for your help,
> Rick
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:57:03 PM

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM & LPT).
> select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E13FC3DB-607E-49DE-9BBF-D01335741E50@microsoft.com...
> >I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
> > print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
> > Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
> > the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
> > and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
> > checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
> > I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
> > on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
> > tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
> > me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
> > This is a new machine with xp pro sp2. I am the admin. I am the IT/CAD
> > manager here although my IT experiance is learn as I go. (Lucky me). We have
> > a mix of equipment here: 3 xp machines (mine is the only sp2), 1 ME machine
> > and the rest are 98se's. We have a 98se machine for a FILE SERVER. We use
> > LanTastic for our software to asign rights to different groups of workers. IE
> > the engineers don't have access to the office files etc. As far as I can see
> > nothing is hidden. By the way, THE LASERJET 4 PLUS IS ON A SEPARATE, STAND
> > ALONE PRINT SERVER, NOT RUN THROUGH THE FILE SERVER.
> > Again I have all rights to both machines, I obviously was able originally to
> > install these printers or they woudln't work at all. Besides, the laserjet on
> > the print server which is run through a hub wouldn't have any rights issues
> > that I know of.
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Rick
>

> I tried that before too. Didn't work thanks.
June 17, 2005 8:39:07 AM

By the way, we have 2 machines without sp2, the printers show & add printers
works.

"Rick H" wrote:

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM & LPT).
> > select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'
> >
> > --
> > Mark L. Ferguson
> > FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> > "Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E13FC3DB-607E-49DE-9BBF-D01335741E50@microsoft.com...
> > >I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
> > > print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
> > > Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
> > > the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
> > > and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
> > > checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
> > > I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
> > > on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
> > > tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
> > > me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
> > > This is a new machine with xp pro sp2. I am the admin. I am the IT/CAD
> > > manager here although my IT experiance is learn as I go. (Lucky me). We have
> > > a mix of equipment here: 3 xp machines (mine is the only sp2), 1 ME machine
> > > and the rest are 98se's. We have a 98se machine for a FILE SERVER. We use
> > > LanTastic for our software to asign rights to different groups of workers. IE
> > > the engineers don't have access to the office files etc. As far as I can see
> > > nothing is hidden. By the way, THE LASERJET 4 PLUS IS ON A SEPARATE, STAND
> > > ALONE PRINT SERVER, NOT RUN THROUGH THE FILE SERVER.
> > > Again I have all rights to both machines, I obviously was able originally to
> > > install these printers or they woudln't work at all. Besides, the laserjet on
> > > the print server which is run through a hub wouldn't have any rights issues
> > > that I know of.
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > > Rick
> >

> > I tried that before too. Didn't work thanks.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:32:04 PM

Sometimes the "Roll Back Driver" option in device manager will recover sp2 upgrade problems with drivers.

start/run, type DEVMGMT.MSC , doubleclick printer, Driver tab.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29F02315-EB2F-4B8D-AD04-E121223B4AC8@microsoft.com...
> By the way, we have 2 machines without sp2, the printers show & add printers
> works.
>
> "Rick H" wrote:
>

>> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>>
>> > Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM &
>> > LPT).
>> > select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mark L. Ferguson
>> > FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> >

>> > I tried that before too. Didn't work thanks.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:32:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, threre is no printer tab, so I selected ports...ecp
printer port...rollback driver. But nothing happened.
Rick

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Sometimes the "Roll Back Driver" option in device manager will recover sp2 upgrade problems with drivers.
>
> start/run, type DEVMGMT.MSC , doubleclick printer, Driver tab.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29F02315-EB2F-4B8D-AD04-E121223B4AC8@microsoft.com...
> > By the way, we have 2 machines without sp2, the printers show & add printers
> > works.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:35:34 PM

I would try a Repair setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97697C63-EE6D-4FE3-9318-9938DBCD8C92@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the reply, threre is no printer tab, so I selected ports...ecp
> printer port...rollback driver. But nothing happened.
> Rick
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Sometimes the "Roll Back Driver" option in device manager will recover sp2 upgrade problems with drivers.
>>
>> start/run, type DEVMGMT.MSC , doubleclick printer, Driver tab.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Rick H" <RickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29F02315-EB2F-4B8D-AD04-E121223B4AC8@microsoft.com...
>> > By the way, we have 2 machines without sp2, the printers show & add printers
>> > works.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:56:10 PM

I am working on a friend's computer, a laptop, and it has the same
symptoms. I have found two nasty trojans which could be the source of
the problem but it could also be an open door for more obscure hacks.
I am sorry that I do not have solution at the moment but wanted to know
if you had already researched the idea of a compromise creating the
problem. I am continuing to research and will let you know, which
includes continuing to follow this thread.

I hope rebuilding is not the solution!

Thanks and good hunting....

--
rdharbis1
Anonymous

Have you tried this solution?

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm

--
rdharbis1
Anonymous

This is not a question, I previously asked about the above. I know for a fact
that it is caused by one of the microsoft "security updates". I've done it
twice . I had to do a repair install to correct it. I do not know which
update it was since I did not sort through them. I may try to figure it out
but I doubt it will happen right away as I will have to keep doing repair
installs each time. Thanks to all who answered me before.
Rick

"rdharbis1" wrote:

> Have you tried this solution?
>
> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4552.htm
>

> rdharbis1 Wrote:
> > I am working on a friend's computer, a laptop, and it has the same
> > symptoms. I have found two nasty trojans which could be the source of
> > the problem but it could also be an open door for more obscure hacks.
> > I am sorry that I do not have solution at the moment but wanted to know
> > if you had already researched the idea of a compromise creating the
> > problem. I am continuing to research and will let you know, which
> > includes continuing to follow this thread.
> >
> > I hope rebuilding is not the solution!
> >

> > Thanks and good hunting....
>

> --
> rdharbis1

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:36:45 AM

"" wrote:
> I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a
> 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
> print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet
> 1050c plotter.
> Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the
> properties for
> the laserjet the other day and when I selected the
> "start/settings/printers
> and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A
> PRINTER. I have
> checked and the script services are started which I thought
> they would be as
> I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any
> help I can get
> on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes
> for NT (which I
> tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you
> could also e-mail
> me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
> This is a new machine with xp pro sp2. I am the admin. I am
> the IT/CAD
> manager here although my IT experiance is learn as I go.
> (Lucky me). We have
> a mix of equipment here: 3 xp machines (mine is the only sp2),
> 1 ME machine
> and the rest are 98se's. We have a 98se machine for a FILE
> SERVER. We use
> LanTastic for our software to asign rights to different groups
> of workers. IE
> the engineers don't have access to the office files etc. As
> far as I can see
> nothing is hidden. By the way, THE LASERJET 4 PLUS IS ON A
> SEPARATE, STAND
> ALONE PRINT SERVER, NOT RUN THROUGH THE FILE SERVER.
> Again I have all rights to both machines, I obviously was able
> originally to
> install these printers or they woudln't work at all. Besides,
> the laserjet on
> the print server which is run through a hub wouldn't have any
> rights issues
> that I know of.
> Thanks for your help,
> Rick

Greetings,

The following should restore your printer/s so that you can ‘see’
them.

You have to open ’services.msc’ by typing it in ‘run command’ without
quotes and open ‘services’ box.

1. Click Start>Run>’services.msc’ without quotes by typing it in and
click o.k.
Services Opens:
2. Scroll down to ’print spooler’ and right click

3. next click ’properties’ to find ’startup type’ and in the drop down
menu choose ’automatic’, click ’apply’

4. Last but not least, in the upper left corner click ’restart
service’ (the bright blue letters) and reboot.

Best of luck,
ultra_classic

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-add-printer...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1744380
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:39:03 AM

Read my previous posts,,,services ARE LREADY STARTED. The printers worked
fine. I just coudn't add a printer or see them to make changes. It's a
security update bug.

!