Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Hi Guys,

Recently my confuser has started to play silly buggers during WIN XP Pro start-up. The BIOS boots OK and I then get the black background Windows screen with the moving dots while it gets ready to muck me around for another day. Now the problem is this, the GT's fan, which has been running on high during boot reaches the point where it slows down to idle speed (which it does) as the screen goes black (sometimes with a mouse pointer, sometimes not) as Win XP starts, but instead of the Welcome screen coming up the screen stays black, the fan speeds up again and that's it, nada, just a blank screen and no mouse pointer. Windows fails to load at this point and all I can do is a hard reboot, whereupon it usually starts up fine (though sometimes it requires a third try). I have just done a clean Windows install and it seemed to fix it, however the problem has now come back. Could it be graphics card related? Power supply maybe? I have an Antec Truepower 380watt, which should be enough. Games etc all run fine with the card BTW.

Anybody else have this problem or heard of it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

cleeve

Illustrious
I wouldn't assume this is a videocard problem... sounds more like the mobo isn't totally happy, or a driver anomaly of some kind.

Best way to diagnose is to put the card in another computer and see what happens. I suspect it's not the card itself tho.

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
i had problem with blackscreen when tabbing out of a game, but that got fixed with the newest nvidia dirvers.

A64 3000+ @ 2340mhz(9x260) - MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum - Crucial BallistiX 2x512 PC4000 2.5 3 3 11- Asus 6800GT @ 400/1100 - 2x WD Raptor 36gb 10000rpm RAID 0 - Hiper 525w.

jvx

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2005
I am having exactly the same problem since i installed a AOPEN Aeolus 6600-DV128 PCI-E card in a DELL Optiplex GX280.
The latest NVIDIA drivers found on the AOPEN website are installed (V 71.24).

Once the PC is started, everythhing runs fine.

Any hints to solve this problem are welcome.

Thanks

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Tried loading windows into safemode?

If your PSU was the culprit and you are hearing your agp fan reving up and down then your case fans would probably be doing the same.

If the reinstall of windows temp fixes then maybe that driver you are trying to use could be the culprit or you gotta bug on your rig and a good idea to low level format that hard drive.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
I have temporarily replaced the GT6800 card with my old FX5600 card to see what happens, as I don't have easy access to another computer that can handle the GT6800. So far the rig boots up fine with the older card. I tried booting in safe mode with the GT6800 earlier, but could not duplicate the problem that way. While fooling around before I reinstalled Windows I had tried both the 66.93 and the 71.84 drivers (which I ditched because of the temp sensor bug, used driver cleaner3 and returned to the 66.93s which I am now using). The problem occured with both of those drivers.

I think I'll try a surface scan of the hard drive to see if there are any damaged areas and then reformat and do a complete reinstall....I am beginning to suspect something malicious is still lurking on the drive even though I use Zone Alarm Pro Norton Antivirus etc and am very careful about security. If that doesn't work, I'll search out another computer to try the GT6800 card on. Interesting by the way that someone else has had this problem.

BTW, after using the GT6800, the FX5600 sure does suck big time!!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Checking for bad sectors is a good idea, your repeated instalation keeps going over the same place and places the file on that same spot, thus causing replication.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>