Opinion of Gigabyte 6800GT?

Superdave

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
After reading the review here on THG of the gigabyte 6800GT with that crazy heat sink and fan set up (http://www.tomshardware.com/firstlook/20041207/index.html) I decided to give this card a try. The first one i bought overheated like crazy right out of the box (always ran over 100C) I got it replaced and the second one worked GREAT, but only for about 1 hour :( I've got a ram problem and windows crashed (blue screen of death). I was talking to my mother on the phone so i didnt do anything about it emmeadiately untill i saw my display go all crazy and garbled. Now the card is dead, wont work in any machine, and i'm gonna have to replace it again... Looking back over the THG review i saw that the fan stops if windows is not loaded/crashes and that would cause the card to overheat. I'm assuming that this is what happened and the card is toast. So here is my question... Should i forget about this card all together and try to get something else? I have seen that it does perform very well and i love the fact that it looks so cool inside my completely clear acrilic case, but what about this fan quiting thing? Can gigabyte fix this in the futer so i can update it? What if one of my idiot friends screws something up and burns up another card? I would appreciate some of you guys opinions about this card and this flaw in its design. Thanks alot,

Dave

Superdave

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
No one has any input here? Please? I'm really kinda stuck on what i should do here... Any sort of idea would be appreciated from all you hardware folks...

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Sorry I'm really not sure what could be causing it, the reason nobody's replying is because i'm guessing they're kinda puzzled too. Please list your full system specs, and we can take a look if it's something else's problem.

G

That is strange, have you asked gigabyte about it?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

Superdave

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Here are my system specs:

MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum mobo
3200+ (939) 90nm Athlon 64
1 GB PC3200 RAM 2x512
GeForce fx 5900 standard (not xt or se) 128 MB <-- this is my old card
500 watt power supply
SB audigy 2 ZS sound card
120 GB Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb ATA hard drive
80 GB Maxtor 7200rpm 2mb ata hard drive
dvd rom and a cd-rw, i think they are Artec drives
windows xp pro sp2

Also, i think i've resolved the problems with my RAM. I moved them from dimms 1 and 2 down to 3 and 4 and all has been going well now... Thx for you help guys,

Dave

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by superdave on 04/16/05 05:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
What brand is that power supply, and check your power supply's voltage rails, especially the +5V and +12V, see if they're +-0.5 within the specified.

I highly doubt if you got 2 bads in a row, well i guess you need to replace it, try another card in there, is your 5900 still around?

Superdave

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
How do i check the voltages of my PS unit? And yes, my 5900 is what im using now. Its doing just fine...

Oh yeah, and it is an Ultra (brand) X-Connect powersupply.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by superdave on 04/17/05 05:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>