Dell 2400 - Internet won't work after SP2 install

I have the Dell 2400 and I installed Windows SP2 and now I can't
connect to the internet. Dial-up works but when I open up the browser
IE6 nothing will open. My main page is Yahoo and that, and no other
bookmark will open. I've tried every URL but no dice. Any clues?

Nick

Firewall? What about it? If it's on that doesn't mean the NET shouldn't
work.

tq144@msn.com wrote:

> I have the Dell 2400 and I installed Windows SP2 and now I can't
> connect to the internet. Dial-up works but when I open up the browser
> IE6 nothing will open. My main page is Yahoo and that, and no other
> bookmark will open. I've tried every URL but no dice. Any clues?

Firewall?

Notan

The winsock may have been corrupted. Try this tool and see if that fixes it.
I use it all the time to fix clients machines that have this problem for
whatever reason. Usually spyware and/or viruses are the culprit.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

<tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have the Dell 2400 and I installed Windows SP2 and now I can't
> connect to the internet. Dial-up works but when I open up the browser
> IE6 nothing will open. My main page is Yahoo and that, and no other
> bookmark will open. I've tried every URL but no dice. Any clues?
>
> Nick

Thanks Tweek but that didn't work. I tried the program and it didn't
fix it. Thank god for two PCs in my house or I'd go nuts.

> Thanks Tweek but that didn't work. I tried the program and it didn't
> fix it. Thank god for two PCs in my house or I'd go nuts.

I assume the system was scanned and clean of all virus, adware,
spyware/malware threats? If not, the SP2 install could've gotten hosed up
due to existing problems or corruption.

A hijacked browser or various re-directs won't be fixed or improved with an
SP2 install.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10319876.html?tag=lst-0-1

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-1

Stew