equipment for setting up wireless link

adrenalin

Thanks for you answers so far, guys!

OK, im going to go ahead and try to set up a wireless link without LOS, with
some 21db antennae. I guess Im going to have to beam through the attic of a
particularly unfortuately situated tall house plus a few trees.

My question is how can I set up the equipment when I cant see it. I can do
the compass bearing thing easy enough, but I guess alignment is pretty
critical. Is there any sensitive signal meter equipment I can use (like you
use for aligning satellite dishes) or is it just trial and error?

Would welcome your suggestions

Adrenalin

---

"adrenalin" <billclinton@aol.com> wrote in

> My question is how can I set up the equipment when I cant see it. I
> can do the compass bearing thing easy enough, but I guess alignment is
> pretty critical. Is there any sensitive signal meter equipment I can
> use (like you use for aligning satellite dishes) or is it just trial
> and error?

How many meters is it?

Well, there are WiFi signal strength tools you can buy, but trial and error
is probably cheaper.

Or, you can hook up a laptop on the remote end... and get someone to
monitor the link quality tool that is usually bundled with the wifi
drivers.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Typically, it is easier to use a compass and a person on each end. They are
easier to align than you may think. Rule of thumb is only move one end at a
time.
Step 1 - Start with both antennas approximately at the correct Up/Down
angle. In my case it is always level cause we live in flat country.
Step 2 - Align the left/right one end at a time, try to get the best
strength possible on both ends, one at a time. Keep fine tuning till you
have that correct.
Step 3 - Align the Up/Down again, one end at a time. Again get the best
signal possible.
You are done.

It is not difficult when done slow and with a friend on both ends. Use cell
phones or radios to talk and do not cheat or rush. You will do OK.

Good Luck.
Michael
"adrenalin" <billclinton@aol.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for you answers so far, guys!
>
> OK, im going to go ahead and try to set up a wireless link without LOS,
with
> some 21db antennae. I guess Im going to have to beam through the attic of
> particularly unfortuately situated tall house plus a few trees.
>
> My question is how can I set up the equipment when I cant see it. I can do
> the compass bearing thing easy enough, but I guess alignment is pretty
> critical. Is there any sensitive signal meter equipment I can use (like
you
> use for aligning satellite dishes) or is it just trial and error?
>
> Would welcome your suggestions
>
> Adrenalin
>

> ---

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Michael" <teknowene@excite.com> wrote in message
> Typically, it is easier to use a compass and a person on each end. They
are
> easier to align than you may think. Rule of thumb is only move one end at
> time.
> Step 1 - Start with both antennas approximately at the correct Up/Down
> angle. In my case it is always level cause we live in flat country.
> Step 2 - Align the left/right one end at a time, try to get the best
> strength possible on both ends, one at a time. Keep fine tuning till you
> have that correct.
> Step 3 - Align the Up/Down again, one end at a time. Again get the best
> signal possible.
> You are done.
>
> It is not difficult when done slow and with a friend on both ends. Use
cell
> phones or radios to talk and do not cheat or rush. You will do OK.
>
> Good Luck.
> Michael

What is the probability of getting this to work without LOS?

I have a very similar scenerio. I would like to link a house that is .8 mile
(1280 M) away. The obstacle is the roof of a tall wood frame house that has
asphalt shingles and a tree right behind the house. The roof is 250 ft (76
M) from me.

> "adrenalin" <billclinton@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for you answers so far, guys!
> >
> > OK, im going to go ahead and try to set up a wireless link without LOS,
> with
> > some 21db antennae. I guess Im going to have to beam through the attic
of
> > particularly unfortuately situated tall house plus a few trees.
> >
> > My question is how can I set up the equipment when I cant see it. I can
do
> > the compass bearing thing easy enough, but I guess alignment is pretty
> > critical. Is there any sensitive signal meter equipment I can use (like
> you
> > use for aligning satellite dishes) or is it just trial and error?
> >
> > Would welcome your suggestions
> >
> > Adrenalin
> >

> > ---

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

With an external antenna with OVER KILL on the DB it is no problem
typically. I have one site that we beam right through a Concrete hotel with
no issues. It is a little less than standard but it works. When id doubt
USE TOO MUCH power you can always reign back to reduce signal if you are the
one is a hundred that have a problem with too much signal.

Michael

> With an external antenna with OVER KILL on the DB it is no problem
> typically. I have one site that we beam right through a Concrete hotel
with
> no issues. It is a little less than standard but it works. When id doubt
> USE TOO MUCH power you can always reign back to reduce signal if you are
the
> one is a hundred that have a problem with too much signal.
>
> Michael

What high gain antennas do you like that look good on a house?

Thanks

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That depends. Typically it is not an issue what it looks like, but I have
used flat panels because you can paint them etc, The problem is that you
need to tune the antenna, normally this is better if you have full movement
range. Normally, a grid is best, panels are second. You will get some
debate over this, but in my experience this is the case.