Undoing last Windows update

The last update knocked out my IBM Rapid Access Keyboard. How do I get rid
of it? Thanks
--
Ellen D
2 answers Last reply

    Ellen D wrote:
    > The last update knocked out my IBM Rapid Access Keyboard. How do I
    > get rid of it? Thanks

    Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Show Updates checked..
    Uninstall the last update you installed.

    Keep your machine updated all around..

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

    However, not everyone wants to be a slave to "automation", and that is
    fine - as long as you are willing to do things manually. Admittedly, I
    prefer this method on some of my more critical systems.

    Windows Update
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Go there and scan your machine for updates. Always get the critical ones
    as you see them. Write down the KB###### or Q###### you see when
    selecting the updates and if you have trouble over the next few days,
    go into your control panel (Add/Remove Programs), match up the latest
    numbers you downloaded recently (since you started noticing an issue) and
    uninstall them. If there was more than one (usually is), uninstall them
    one by one - with a few hours of use in between, to see if the problem
    returns. Yes - the process is not perfect (updating) and can cause trouble
    like I mentioned - but as you can see, the solution isn't that bad - and is
    MUCH better than the alternatives.

    Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. The
    manufacturers of the other products usually have updates as well. New
    versions of almost everything come out all the time - some are free, some
    are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best
    to check. Just go to their web pages and look under their support and
    download sections. For example, for Microsoft Office update, you should
    visit:

    Microsoft Office Updates
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    (and select "downloads")

    You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface
    with the operating system. You have a video card that allows you to see on
    your screen, a sound card that allows you to hear your PCs sound output and
    so on. Visit those manufacturer web sites for the latest downloadable
    drivers for your hardware/operating system. Always (IMO) get the
    manufacturers' hardware driver over any Microsoft offers. On the Windows
    Update site I mentioned earlier, I suggest NOT getting their hardware
    drivers - no matter how tempting. First - how do you know what hardware
    you have in your computer? Invoice or if it is up and working now - take
    inventory:

    Belarc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    EVEREST Home Edition
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
    hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
    have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
    Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

    NVidia Video Card Drivers

    ATI Video Card Drivers
    http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

    Creative Labs Sound Device
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

    C-Media Sound Device
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

    Then install these drivers. Updated drivers are usually more stable and
    may provide extra benefits/features that you really wished you had before.

    As for Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, Microsoft has made this
    particular patch available in a number of ways. First, there is the
    Windows Update web page above. Then there is a direct download site
    and finally, you can order the FREE CD from Microsoft.

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
    http://snipurl.com/8umo

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Did you attempt to uninstall, then reinstall the drivers for your
    IBM Rapid Access Keyboard? The IBM support web site should
    have a download available for your specific IBM model PC.

    Welcome to IBM Support!
    http://www.ibm.com/support/us/

    Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

    How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ellen D" wrote:

    | The last update knocked out my IBM Rapid Access Keyboard. How do I get rid
    | of it? Thanks
    | --
    | Ellen D

Support Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP