I'm able to perform a System Repair because I received a Reinstallion CD for
XP SP1 with my computer. My father on the other hand, purchased his XP disc
separately and I don't believe he has the Reinstall disc. Can one perform the
Systen Repair with XP Install disc, or does it HAVE to be the Reinstallion
CD? If not, can you purchase the Reinstallation CD for XP SP1? Thank you.
Tom

Tom B. wrote:
> I'm able to perform a System Repair because I received a Reinstallion
> CD for XP SP1 with my computer. My father on the other hand,
> purchased his XP disc separately and I don't believe he has the
> Reinstall disc. Can one perform the Systen Repair with XP Install
> disc, or does it HAVE to be the Reinstallion CD? If not, can you
> purchase the Reinstallation CD for XP SP1? Thank you. Tom

Whoa whoa.. Using terms that may or may not be standardized.

You received a "reinstallation CD".. What does that mean? Do you mean you
received a CD that can restore your system to the state at which it was
received by you initially? Or does it mean this CD is a fully functional
and installable version of Windows XP..? Or does it mean it came
preinstalled on your system and it is an OEM copy of Windows XP, therefore
bound by the EULA to the first machine it was installed upon - but it indeed
could be used to do a full install of Windows XP?

You then say your father has purchased his own XP CD. This one I know - but
don't know if he got an OEM copy or Retail copy (nice box or clellphone
wrapper?) What your father can do is (since he bought a Windows XP CD
according to you) install Windows XP on his system - depending on if it is
retail or OEM - he can do it clean or upgrade and even possibly transfer it
to another system. As you implied this was bought by your father - I would
bet Retail copy and it can be used to cleanly install on any machine
provided (in accordance with the EULA) it is uninstalled form any machine it
is still on first. It ONLY includes Windows XP, where your "Restore CDs"
that you mention you have (but by a different name) may include everything
but not actually be able to install Windows XP from scratch or on any system
but the one it was originally installed upon.

You can only purchase Windows XP in Retail/Upgrade or OEM formats. (You can
get a valume license too, but this is beyond the scope of this discussion.)

So if you have an actual Windows XP CD with yours - then you can perform a
repair install on yours - which would keep most settings and programs but
fix the system files. Or you could use those CDs - either way - to wipe
your system and restore it like it was the day you got it - including the
lack of any of your files/settings/etc - unless you backup.

Your father, on the other had - sounds like he got a nice retail boxed copy
of Windows XP - meaning he can do pretty much what he wants/needs to with
it. Repair install, Upgrade or Clean install.

How about instead of discussing your CDs for now - we discuss what it is
that is wrong and what it is you are thinking of doing?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan,
I'm more than impressed with the thoroughness of detail in your response.
I believe his XP disc is a retail copy. So according to you, he should then
be able to perform a Repair Install. Thank you.
The Reinstallation CD I was referring to was the disc I received with my
Dell computer which came with an OEM copy of XP Home already installed. It's
labeled Reinstallation CD for Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack
1. There's also a Dell logo at the bottom of the disc.
There really is no problem with my father's system. It was an inquiry for
preventive care. He's performed two different Reinstall's in the past year,
and when I heard about this, I was shocked. He didn't know about the Repair
install at all, and I just wanted to make sure I had all my info right before
I spoke with him. Now he knows. You've been very helpful. Thank you. Tom