Can I add a wireless PCMCIA to a laptop with already built..

Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<g4Cgc.34247$Y%6.4410954@wards.force9.net>...
> kranke@hotmail.com <rebates@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a laptop that has built-in 802.11b wireless. My friend's
> > network is 802.11g, and I want to be able to take advantage of the
> > increased speed. Can I add a 802.11g pcmcia card to my laptop and
> > still be able to use my built-in 802.11b when I'm not on my friend's
> > network?
>
> On some laptops, you may be able to replace the built-in wireless.
> What's the model number?
> Is the wireless bit mini-pci?

Sorry if this started a new thread -- I'm not sure I was able to post
a reply to the thread already started.
My laptop is a Gateway 200ARC, the wireless is Intel Pro/Wireless LAN
2100 3B Mini PCI. I have a button on the laptop that turns the
wireless on or off, and there is a light that comes on if it's on.
The reason I wanted to be able to keep the 802.11b is because I like
having that on/off/light feature on the laptop -- it would be great I
could upgrade to 802.11g and retain the on/off switch.

rebates@hotmail.com (kranke) wrote in

> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> kranke@hotmail.com <rebates@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a laptop that has built-in 802.11b wireless. My friend's
>> > network is 802.11g, and I want to be able to take advantage of the
>> > increased speed. Can I add a 802.11g pcmcia card to my laptop and
>> > still be able to use my built-in 802.11b when I'm not on my
>> > friend's network?
>>
>> On some laptops, you may be able to replace the built-in wireless.
>> What's the model number?
>> Is the wireless bit mini-pci?
>

> Sorry if this started a new thread -- I'm not sure I was able to post
> a reply to the thread already started.
> My laptop is a Gateway 200ARC, the wireless is Intel Pro/Wireless LAN
> 2100 3B Mini PCI. I have a button on the laptop that turns the
> wireless on or off, and there is a light that comes on if it's on.
> The reason I wanted to be able to keep the 802.11b is because I like
> having that on/off/light feature on the laptop -- it would be great I
> could upgrade to 802.11g and retain the on/off switch.

About the subject line of the post, if the laptop has the PCMCIA slot, I
don't think it should present a problem. If you disable the other
wireless NIC through the O/S, I don't see it as being a problem for you.

Duane :)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would contact your laptop vendor. Mine is made by Seanix and I am able to
change it. It is a software configurable thing.

Michael

"kranke" <rebates@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > kranke@hotmail.com <rebates@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have a laptop that has built-in 802.11b wireless. My friend's
> > > network is 802.11g, and I want to be able to take advantage of the
> > > increased speed. Can I add a 802.11g pcmcia card to my laptop and
> > > still be able to use my built-in 802.11b when I'm not on my friend's
> > > network?
> >
> > On some laptops, you may be able to replace the built-in wireless.
> > What's the model number?
> > Is the wireless bit mini-pci?
>

> Sorry if this started a new thread -- I'm not sure I was able to post
> a reply to the thread already started.
> My laptop is a Gateway 200ARC, the wireless is Intel Pro/Wireless LAN
> 2100 3B Mini PCI. I have a button on the laptop that turns the
> wireless on or off, and there is a light that comes on if it's on.
> The reason I wanted to be able to keep the 802.11b is because I like
> having that on/off/light feature on the laptop -- it would be great I
> could upgrade to 802.11g and retain the on/off switch.

TRENDING THREADS