Closed

Transfer Hard Drive from one PC to another (upgrade)

I just finished building a new P4 machine to replace my old AMD but when I
installed my old hard drive in the new computer it wouldn't boot up. Luckily
I have a few extra hard drives around so I was able to test the new box with
a fresh install of XP Pro so I know it works, but how can I transfer the
drive to the new unit? I tried sticking the drive with all my data in as a
slave & it works fine, but the programs won't run - I receive an error that
informs me that reinstalling the software may fix the problem. Anyway, I'm
just looking to install an old brain in my new souped-up frankenstien.

TIA
7 answers Last reply
More about transfer hard drive upgrade

    Install the old drives in the new computer in the order/configuration you
    want.

    Boot the system from the XP CD and do a 'Repair' install so that XP can do
    its thing and install the 'new' drivers, etc for the (to XP) new
    motherboard, cpu, etc.

    "Hello" <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just finished building a new P4 machine to replace my old AMD but when I
    > installed my old hard drive in the new computer it wouldn't boot up.
    > Luckily
    > I have a few extra hard drives around so I was able to test the new box
    > with
    > a fresh install of XP Pro so I know it works, but how can I transfer the
    > drive to the new unit? I tried sticking the drive with all my data in as
    > slave & it works fine, but the programs won't run - I receive an error
    > that
    > informs me that reinstalling the software may fix the problem. Anyway,
    > I'm
    > just looking to install an old brain in my new souped-up frankenstien.
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks, I'll try it after work tomorrow. Do you know if the CD drive needs
    to be connected to the Primary IDE channel in order to boot from CD?

    ....could I just install my old drive as master, the cd drive as slave, & do
    the repair on it - & then clone it to the larger drive (using NSW)??? That
    seems like an ideal way to handle this...

    many thanks.

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > Install the old drives in the new computer in the order/configuration you
    > want.
    >
    > Boot the system from the XP CD and do a 'Repair' install so that XP can do
    > its thing and install the 'new' drivers, etc for the (to XP) new
    > motherboard, cpu, etc.
    >
    > "Hello" <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just finished building a new P4 machine to replace my old AMD but when I
    > > installed my old hard drive in the new computer it wouldn't boot up.
    > > Luckily
    > > I have a few extra hard drives around so I was able to test the new box
    > > with
    > > a fresh install of XP Pro so I know it works, but how can I transfer the
    > > drive to the new unit? I tried sticking the drive with all my data in as
    > > slave & it works fine, but the programs won't run - I receive an error
    > > that
    > > informs me that reinstalling the software may fix the problem. Anyway,
    > > I'm
    > > just looking to install an old brain in my new souped-up frankenstien.
    > >
    > > TIA

    I would put the CD as the Master device to make sure you can boot from it.

    I have no experience with cloning a drive.

    > Thanks, I'll try it after work tomorrow. Do you know if the CD drive
    > needs
    > to be connected to the Primary IDE channel in order to boot from CD?
    >
    > ...could I just install my old drive as master, the cd drive as slave, &
    > do
    > the repair on it - & then clone it to the larger drive (using NSW)???
    > That
    > seems like an ideal way to handle this...
    >
    > many thanks.
    >

    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    >> Install the old drives in the new computer in the order/configuration you
    >> want.
    >>
    >> Boot the system from the XP CD and do a 'Repair' install so that XP can
    >> do
    >> its thing and install the 'new' drivers, etc for the (to XP) new
    >> motherboard, cpu, etc.
    >>
    >> "Hello" <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I just finished building a new P4 machine to replace my old AMD but when
    >> > installed my old hard drive in the new computer it wouldn't boot up.
    >> > Luckily
    >> > I have a few extra hard drives around so I was able to test the new box
    >> > with
    >> > a fresh install of XP Pro so I know it works, but how can I transfer
    >> > the
    >> > drive to the new unit? I tried sticking the drive with all my data in
    >> > as
    >> > slave & it works fine, but the programs won't run - I receive an error
    >> > that
    >> > informs me that reinstalling the software may fix the problem. Anyway,
    >> > I'm
    >> > just looking to install an old brain in my new souped-up frankenstien.
    >> >
    >> > TIA

    The CD does not need to be connected to the Primary Channel in order to be
    bootable.
    I have mine set as slave on the 2nd EIDE and it boots as long as I set it as
    1st boot device in the BIOS.
    With the Old Drive set as master on the primary channel set the CD as 1st
    boot device.
    Restart the system with XP CD in Place and it should boot off the CD
    then do a repair installation......this will correct the HAL file ,wich now
    is recorded as an AMD system, to an Intel system and change the drivers
    accordingly.After that is installed(repaired) dont forget to install the new
    motherboard drivers that are on a CD that usually come with mobo.
    Of course you could also install the old drive as a slave and install XP
    fresh onto the new drive which you install as master.XP should read all of
    the programs that you have on the old and register them accordingly.You just
    have to be carefull you install onto the right drive.You can then delete the
    old XP from the old drive as well as the boot files in the root of the old
    drive.
    peterk

    the problem

    Hello wrote:
    > I just finished building a new P4 machine to replace my old AMD but when I
    > installed my old hard drive in the new computer it wouldn't boot up. Luckily
    > I have a few extra hard drives around so I was able to test the new box with
    > a fresh install of XP Pro so I know it works, but how can I transfer the
    > drive to the new unit? I tried sticking the drive with all my data in as a
    > slave & it works fine, but the programs won't run - I receive an error that
    > informs me that reinstalling the software may fix the problem. Anyway, I'm
    > just looking to install an old brain in my new souped-up frankenstien.
    >
    > TIA

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  6. Hello , i'm working on a system currently, but the cd/dvd rom seems bad, not reading data, i"v tried using external dvd drive, but d device is not identify on the bios config..., wht else can i do in a case like this?
  7. gfem said:
    Hello , i'm working on a system currently, but the cd/dvd rom seems bad, not reading data, i"v tried using external dvd drive, but d device is not identify on the bios config..., wht else can i do in a case like this?

    What you do is to start a new thread of your own instead of raising a seven year-old thread which never did reach a conclusion. I've deleted your duplicate post and am closing this old thread. What you can also do to make the external work is to enable USB Legacy support in the BIOS. If that fails, it's the fault of the disk and not the ROM

Hard Drives Windows XP