GRAN TANK 10 piggy back

I found a Gran Tank PCB without one of the two piggy backs: num. 72029
Is it possible to find schematics of it? Do you know its function?
Thank you,
Marco

Marco,

I have several of these boards as well as a complete functioning gran
trak 10. Someday I'll even get around to making an adapter to dump the
ROM(s) I have for trak and gran trak (the tracks were different) -----
SOMEDAY

I have a fairly dead and stripped board here with that custom chip
left on it. I may be able to remove it for you and send it cheaply. The
schematic package on klov.com is actually very detailed into the PCB's
operations and the function of the custom chips. if I recall correctly
that one is responsible for motor/speed translations to the sound
generator and possibly motion? But I think there is another chip for
that as well. It'll be int he schems. Someone was making aftermarket
customs for these as the brake/stop one on one of my boards was a small
PCB with standard TTL in place of the metal block. Nothing for the
accellerator one nor could I find a schematic of that actual chip =\

let me know if you need anything, I'll try my best to help. It's
getting hard to find people with any experience on these boards, but we
are out there and there are a few around here.

- Matt

Matt, I would be glad if you could sell me the customs, else I think
it's impossible to proceed with any troubleshooting...
Anyway.... at the moment I've all the screem full of dots, like a
photoshop grid ;-)

Andy, I didn't know which board was, I recognized it on your site
through the picture and the code A000872 on the PCB, so... thank yoy
:))

Marco

"Matty-t" wrote:
>Marco,
>
> I have several of these boards as well as a complete functioning gran
>trak 10. Someday I'll even get around to making an adapter to dump the
>ROM(s) I have for trak and gran trak (the tracks were different) -----
>SOMEDAY

save your efforts, the rom is the same on all boards, the track
selection is down to a track difference i think. The reason i know this,
i had 2 workign pcbs on the rig with different tracks, but when i
swapped the 'rom' over (its more like a very small prom) there was no
difference to the track layout. I havn't investigated that fully (maybe
i will today) but to my mind, its not a rom difference, i have 7 pcbs,
and swapping the proms over from any of the other pcbs did not change
the track (from memory, was a couple of years ago). Besides, dumping it
wont do much help, its not like its emulated, being TTL :) mind you, no
harm for archival purposes, i'll look the device up, my data i/o 29b
might be able to dump it..

> I have a fairly dead and stripped board here with that custom chip
>left on it. I may be able to remove it for you and send it cheaply. The
>schematic package on klov.com is actually very detailed into the PCB's
>operations and the function of the custom chips. if I recall correctly
>that one is responsible for motor/speed translations to the sound
>generator and possibly motion? But I think there is another chip for
>that as well. It'll be int he schems. Someone was making aftermarket
>customs for these as the brake/stop one on one of my boards was a small
>PCB with standard TTL in place of the metal block.

You see this on a lot of post-revision F pcbs...

> Nothing for the
>accellerator one nor could I find a schematic of that actual chip =\

I always thought it was something to do with the steering.. but there
you go, i havn't looked into it much.

> let me know if you need anything, I'll try my best to help. It's
>getting hard to find people with any experience on these boards, but we
>are out there and there are a few around here.

me included :)

> - Matt

http://www.andysarcade.net/personal/bronzeage/index.htm

FYI ... although right now, the main table is up to date and correct of
which games i have etc, the bottom table catalogueing the actual pcb
details is not up to date, i have about 15 pcbs to write the details
down of and label/put in the table :)

I'm still looking for the following Atari Pcbs to complete the archive:

- Computer Space (yeh, ok its nutting ;)
- Elimination!
- Gotcha
- Sprint 8
- Tank 8
- Poolshark
- F1

Andy Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Me and andy had this little disagreement a while back in email about
the ROM's.

I *ASSURE* you. I have a SINGLE working board in my gran trak 10. And
two working proms. When I swap one I get the same track pictured in the
gran trak flyer. When I plug in the other I get the track pictured in
trak 10 flyer. JUST a SWAP! *nothing* more. The game play is idenical.

The only hardware hack I can find appears to be either factory on
perhaps one of those playmeter deald they used to publish to improve
gameplay and thus earnings. I did notice you can "drift" with this
game. The import tuners out there know what I mean ;)

- Matt

Anyone try a swap with Formula K? I'd like to have more tracks for my
formula K, maybe a switch to select. Which prom is it? I think I have
a spare gran track board around here. I wouldn't mind writing an
editor for it either if I can figure out how to dump the track prom.

The PCB seems to work quite well! Now I need only that custom to finish
the work...

Really thank you!!

Marco
www.vernimark.com/arcade

"Matty-t" wrote:
>Me and andy had this little disagreement a while back in email about
>the ROM's.
>
> I *ASSURE* you. I have a SINGLE working board in my gran trak 10. And
>two working proms. When I swap one I get the same track pictured in the
>gran trak flyer. When I plug in the other I get the track pictured in
>trak 10 flyer. JUST a SWAP! *nothing* more. The game play is idenical.
>
> The only hardware hack I can find appears to be either factory on
>perhaps one of those playmeter deald they used to publish to improve
>gameplay and thus earnings. I did notice you can "drift" with this
>game. The import tuners out there know what I mean ;)
>
> - Matt

you're quite right :)

Tomorrow i should finish up the damn space harrier i've been working on
and i'll dig all my trak pcbs out again then and try resolve the story..

Something also tells me i had one pcb with a track that isn't pictured
on any of the flyers, but from memory, i wasn't sure if the pcb was
working properly causing this or not anyway :)

I'll post back with my results ;)

Andy Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

How funny....

I just hopped on for the first time in ages to look at RGVAC and there
is a topic on the machine I am working on!

I have a Trak 10 (and a Gran Trak) that I am trying to get going. I
have to admit I am frustrated with this one, which is making it worse.

Can someone take a look at the schematics and see if its possible to
run a GT board completely off of a switching power supply? I am not
sure my voltages are right (and after I had an electrolytic blow up on
the board, I am scared to damage something else).

BTW, I have two of thse boards, and both have all the roms. I also
have an eprom burner, so I could try dumping both sets (one for Trak
and one for GT). I just need to know what I am dumping them as
(example 2532 or 2732). If someone lets me know that, I will try
dumping them for you guys.

I really am not an idiot, I just need some help on this one :) Most
appreciated. PS, Andy, just sent you a more detailed message about
this via email. Sorry for the dupe. Did not know this was here!

Cassidy

Cassidy,

I remember seeing your old posts when looking for info on mine. COol
to see you havn't put it out to the curb after all this time!

A computer switching power supply you can gut from any old AT PC will
work perfectly.

I was halfway there and decided it was wrong to do it (for my own
reasons) But it can be done safely. You basicly tap the board in
certain places for DC input, and your PC PS will have the +5, -5, +12,
and -12 you need to run it. THe tircky thing about these is those goofy
roms they used NEED -12 volts which does not come standard on your run
of the mill switcher..

Lemme know how it turns out for you!

- Matt

"Cassidy" wrote:
>How funny....
[snip]
>Can someone take a look at the schematics and see if its possible to
>run a GT board completely off of a switching power supply? I am not
>sure my voltages are right (and after I had an electrolytic blow up on
>the board, I am scared to damage something else).

It is possible, don't know if its advisable for extended periods, i run
the pcbs on my rig on a standard jamma supply, i cheattho, and use the
+5v output pad to put +5v IN to the board.. works ok, but the whole pcb
will be drawing +5v through that one pad, so you might want to add croc
clips onto other points to help the +5v propogation, i can see the pad
burning up if you have the machine switched on for ages.

I hook +12v to the +18v point, -5v to the -5v point, and -5v to the -12v
point, it does work on the rig, but i can't say that for long periods
that it'd be happy with just -5v on the -12v rail.

They're dead simple regulator circuits, just fix it :)

>BTW, I have two of thse boards, and both have all the roms. I also
>have an eprom burner, so I could try dumping both sets (one for Trak
>and one for GT). I just need to know what I am dumping them as
>(example 2532 or 2732). If someone lets me know that, I will try
>dumping them for you guys.

Thanks for the offer, but we all have burners, the prom on this pcb is
particulary ancient, and even though i have an ancient Data i/o 29b that
does everythign else under the sun, i can't find the device in the
software, it is a 74186 for your reference :) the schems say it is a
16,384*8 prom, but various references on the net say its 64*8... i dunno
:)

Andy Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com