Which laptop out of these two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikishi19

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Hi, this will be the first time I have bought a laptop in a very long time. I have done as much research as I can and have narrowed my purchase down to the following two laptops:

Toshiba L850/0D1: http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/notebook-computers/notebook-packages/toshiba-l850-0d18gb-15-6-8gb-upgrade-pack/prod118641.html

HP G6-2118: http://www.bondandbond.co.nz/shop/computers/portable/pc-notebooks/hp-g6-21188gb-15-6-8gb-upgrade-bundle/prod117569.html

As you can see, they are exactly the same price and the only real difference between the two is that the HP has an i7 processor and the Toshiba has an i5, but the Toshiba has 250GB more HDD space and a dedicated Graphics card.

So with those to consider, which would be the better purchase?

The laptop will not be used for gaming, mostly just for general internet and media viewing. However I am also wanting to future proof the laptop as much as possible, this is the main determining factor really. Also I'm not sure if one brand is better over the other?

Cheers for any advice.

Solution
Get the HP - it's quad core will last you for a long time. You will never need a dedicated video card for general browsing and basic media viewing. If the HDD is an issue, well, upgrade it yourself sometime down the road. As is, the HP will be much more future-proof for basic media/web browsing.

That said, I think you are paying too much for something that will be doing tasks that a 7 year old machine could do adequately.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Get the HP - it's quad core will last you for a long time. You will never need a dedicated video card for general browsing and basic media viewing. If the HDD is an issue, well, upgrade it yourself sometime down the road. As is, the HP will be much more future-proof for basic media/web browsing.

That said, I think you are paying too much for something that will be doing tasks that a 7 year old machine could do adequately.

Solution

rikishi19

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
You guys confirmed what I was thinking. I was dead set on getting the L850 until I noticed this HP at the last minute so wanted to double check before I invested.

Yes, I'm aware it is a little much for my needs now, however I plan on having this as a laptop for as long as possible with no upgrades. My current laptop I have had for so long that it is now impossible to upgrade. It is OK to use now, but gets frustrating most of the time to use and it will be pretty much unusable in a year or so. This is the lifespan I plan on getting from the new laptop, hence the overkill in spec for my current usage needs.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Fair enough. I just wanted to caution as most people spend absurd amounts of money for something they won't have after a year or so. If you plan on keeping it for as long as you say, then this is absolutely the road to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS