Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently downloaded java 2 runtime--update 2. I notice in my add/remove
programs I now have java 2 runtime--update 1 still in my add/remove
programs. Should I remove update 1, leaving only update 2?

--
Robert W. Ortego

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:u6jJlgKcFHA.2964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Bob <rortego@earthlink.net> had this to say:

> I recently downloaded java 2 runtime--update 2. I notice in my
> add/remove programs I now have java 2 runtime--update 1 still in my
> add/remove programs. Should I remove update 1, leaving only update 2?

Yups. Though I'm in favor of leaving the earlier version. The latest doesn't
allow you to right click and remove it from the system tray and is pretty
buggy on many people's computers and on two of mine that it's installed on.
I've been meaning to go back and get the older version. Not to mention it's
pretty bloated for no real good reason that I'm aware of. As for the
security implications it's also my opinion that we probably shouldn't allow
java to run in anything but the trusted zone. The benefits of utilizing the
zones is often overlooked but a pain at times. Maybe something we'll see
happen as a change in IE7 - one can hope...

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

fwiw, add/remove here does not have update 1,
only js2e version 5.0 update 2
fairly new winxp home install ,April I think.

If you want to be safe uninstall the whole shooting match and install it
fresh from java.com