Hi group, first posting:
XP home SP2 standalone HP Pavilion a317x

Over time, I've lost entire service modules (application management for
one) and I can no longer activate the important IPSEC service.
I try to start the service manually and get *error 1747- the
authentication service is unknown*

When I run IPSEC.SYS in the Depends.exe support tool analyzer, I see
I'm missing these security-related .DLLs:
efsadu.dll
kdcsvc.dll
ntdsa.dll

I've been unable to find these files anywhere in C: or D:, neither are
they in the SP2 cd I received from MS (free for the asking) nor in the
10 disc recovery discs I received after a total trojan-caused crash
last year (HP does NOT supply any backup discs of home-XP, drat them!
:).
I'm now at a loss as to how to re-activate this seemingly critical
internet security service w/o going through the hair-pulling act of
another clean install or system recovery.
any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
frank

--
siguytwo

If you had a retail version of xp,you could open cmd,install xp cd,exit the
info
page,then type:Sfc /Scannow All windows files would get reinstalled if
corrupt
or missing...But one needs the cd.

"siguytwo" wrote:

> Hi group, first posting:
> XP home SP2 standalone HP Pavilion a317x
>
> Over time, I've lost entire service modules (application management for
> one) and I can no longer activate the important IPSEC service.
> I try to start the service manually and get *error 1747- the
> authentication service is unknown*
>
> When I run IPSEC.SYS in the Depends.exe support tool analyzer, I see
> I'm missing these security-related .DLLs:
> efsadu.dll
> kdcsvc.dll
> ntdsa.dll
>
> I've been unable to find these files anywhere in C: or D:, neither are
> they in the SP2 cd I received from MS (free for the asking) nor in the
> 10 disc recovery discs I received after a total trojan-caused crash
> last year (HP does NOT supply any backup discs of home-XP, drat them!
> :).
> I'm now at a loss as to how to re-activate this seemingly critical
> internet security service w/o going through the hair-pulling act of
> another clean install or system recovery.
> any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
> frank
>

> --
> siguytwo

Bummer.....but something to keep in mind for the future, Andrew, and
thanks for that; maybe that's exactly what some lurker out there was
looking for.
In the meantime; do you or anyone else out there know how to use what I
-do- have at my disposal, as noted below, to scan all the CAB files'
contents without having to download megs and megs of them, leaving them
on the various discs I have?
Surely those DLLs, or entire modules are packed away on those CDs; I
just don't know a relatively quick and efficient way of surveying them
without going blind or wearing callouses onto my fingertips :p
thanks for the reply Andrew.
Cheers:
Frank

--
siguytwo

map

siguytwo wrote:
> Bummer.....but something to keep in mind for the future, Andrew, and
> thanks for that; maybe that's exactly what some lurker out there was
> looking for.
> In the meantime; do you or anyone else out there know how to use what
> I -do- have at my disposal, as noted below, to scan all the CAB files'
> contents without having to download megs and megs of them, leaving
> them on the various discs I have?
> Surely those DLLs, or entire modules are packed away on those CDs; I
> just don't know a relatively quick and efficient way of surveying them
> without going blind or wearing callouses onto my fingertips :p
> thanks for the reply Andrew.
> Cheers:
> Frank
>
> Andrew E. Wrote:
>> If you had a retail version of xp,you could open cmd,install xp
>> cd,exit the
>> info
>> page,then type:Sfc /Scannow All windows files would get reinstalled
>> if
>> corrupt
>> or missing...But one needs the cd.
>>

>> "siguytwo" wrote:
>>

>>> Hi group, first posting:
>>> XP home SP2 standalone HP Pavilion a317x
>>>
>>> Over time, I've lost entire service modules (application management
>>> for one) and I can no longer activate the important IPSEC service.
>>> I try to start the service manually and get *error 1747- the
>>> authentication service is unknown*
>>>
>>> When I run IPSEC.SYS in the Depends.exe support tool analyzer, I see
>>> I'm missing these security-related .DLLs:
>>> efsadu.dll
>>> kdcsvc.dll
>>> ntdsa.dll
>>>
>>> I've been unable to find these files anywhere in C: or D:, neither
>>> are they in the SP2 cd I received from MS (free for the asking) nor
>>> in the 10 disc recovery discs I received after a total
>>> trojan-caused crash last year (HP does NOT supply any backup discs
>>> of home-XP, drat them! :).
>>> I'm now at a loss as to how to re-activate this seemingly critical
>>> internet security service w/o going through the hair-pulling act of
>>> another clean install or system recovery.
>>> any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>>> frank
>>>

>>> --
>>> siguytwo

Step #2 at this link will show you how to run the sfc without a CD
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

--
Mike Pawlak