Sign in with
Your question

Who is Tom?

Last response: in News & Leisure
September 2, 2011 6:22:01 PM

Who is Tom?

Just out of curiosity.... Ive been here for a while but I still don't know who Tom is.

More about : tom

September 2, 2011 6:29:21 PM

wanamingo said:
Who is Tom?

Just out of curiosity.... Ive been here for a while but I still don't know who Tom is.

He's my uncle's friend's sister-in-law's nephew's friend's mother's boyfriend and he has a 70's Pr0n mustache.
September 2, 2011 6:29:42 PM

He's also really good with computers I heard.
Related resources
September 2, 2011 6:32:26 PM

lol Gulli

Its Toms world we just post in it.

Evidently he has a computer repair empire....
September 2, 2011 7:16:31 PM

Dr. Tom Pabst

The guy on the left is Dr. Pabst. The guy who made all of this possible.
September 3, 2011 2:17:13 AM

Do you think he has an account here?
September 3, 2011 5:07:16 AM

He used to own the damn site guys! Sadly, Best of Media bought it. There was a history blog about the site online, I will see if I can go to the archives...Google. :D 
September 3, 2011 9:07:17 AM

Oh, this is my first time seeing his photo. Looks like a chilll guy ;) 
September 3, 2011 2:09:19 PM

That article has many technical inaccuracies and a few truths:

1. It failed to mention the Duron saga and about four other articles Tom wrote.

2. Baron did leave for a while. I was there and you can ask Baron your self. He kept his account but wandered around for a while (working on getting to managing director of the company he works for) and I invited him back. I wasn't a mod during those days and was bullied by some of the idiots ... theo later left ... along with the mods who in my mind allowed a lot of rubbish to go on.

A number of users did leave and go to X_C_P's. Some of them came back ...

3. THG is not the shadow of what it was. Its larger now than what it was (much larger in fact) but the focus of the forums are now much more family friendly ... they were not back then. If you want to check out how large just click my sig below. Anandtech is much smaller ... laughably so.

4. Best of Media did struggle with the aquisition of THG for a while ... hey ... I am a volunteer here and trust me ... they took some time to get it on track. Recently they appointed new staff and amongst them a "Community Manager" role which Joe currently has. In the time Joe has come on board he has shifted the fous of the forums to be much more welcoming to new users, and made the place much more positive. The sorts of bullying Baron and those of us who were AMD supporters had to put up with has stopped. New moderation team members and a new community reporter role has enabled us to ensure the place is better managed in terms of help for users - good articles, great stickies, and an ongoing forum upgrade ... notice the abscence of the spam in the last week??

5. The site was slow ... load times have decreased recently (twice the speed) despite increased content ... the devs are on it and with 8 mirrors I can understand. A major forum upgrade is underway and beta software being tested by about 50 users.

6. Forum articles come from many of the teams - yes our German friends write quite a few of them ... howerer most of the articles are written by Chris Angelini's team in the US.

7. News content is shared between THG and TG ... the 11 main writers are mainly US based. Yes we have a few writers who are sensationalist ... in the vein of Mike Magee and the English Tech Tabloid writers who followed him ... frankly I like the stuff ... it provokes ... and interests many. TG and THG are essentially owned by one company.

We get a few tools who write negative articles about Toms ... it probably tells you more about them as people than us ... we are still here and growing ... their sites don't even throw a shadow.
September 3, 2011 2:55:26 PM

I remember pointing out a few mistakes and errors to several of our writers, and have seen a much more thorough fact check as well as simple type errors in effect.
Many writers are the same from before, and while Dr Tom brought a certain edge, today, we arent that far from it.
As for those past mods, what can I say, some remember my dealings with one or two of them, and where much of the credit of the then split should have fallen, as today, in same circumstances, as a mod, Id have to take some responsibility if things had gone that wrong without my and my fellow mods correcting it.
The assessment there on that link has some merit, but discredits Toms today, where I find at least, it wasnt as free wheeling, and possibly the cutting edge of understanding the hardware we use may not be quite at the level it once was, its close to it, with only many more enthusiasts today adding to our content.
September 3, 2011 3:00:44 PM

T.O.M= Technical Operator Motorized
September 3, 2011 3:40:13 PM

JD you were not a mod then either mate ... we would have sorted that sort of bullying out quick smart.

I'd have leaned on your cunning and old age for advice ...

We have plenty of technical experts in areas we didn't have before ... including an abbreviation wizzard (Justin).

Welcome.

:) 

September 3, 2011 8:18:48 PM

Heh, I remember visiting THG back in the early 2000's when looking for the best P4 build components, and Pabst was still writing a few articles. Didn't register as a member until 2006 IIRC. But I must admit I have been impressed with the quality of some of the front-page articles lately, in particular the one about WiFi routers.

However I also think Anandtech's reviews are good for the most part, particularly those by Johan de Gelas.

As for the bullying going on 3-4 years ago, I'd have to say that JJ & company did dish it out, but then so did 9-inch, MMM and Baron IIRC. Far too much of it allowed to go on IMHO, as it generally destroyed whatever topic the thread started on. Sorta like the forumz version of the Jerry Springer show, without Jerry..

However I also hafta admit I enjoyed the wittier remarks & comebacks, by both sides :D .
September 3, 2011 8:36:29 PM

Well, I think ol thunderpants was a creation from those days
September 3, 2011 9:41:46 PM

Look at you old farts! Reminiscing over the good ol' days. Too bad a young buck like me will never have a hay day for his pastime. :( 
September 3, 2011 11:04:44 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Well, I think ol thunderpants was a creation from those days

Ahh, Thundy :) . Sometimes I thought he was an Intel fanboi masquerading as a AMD fan with two nuts & a screw loose :p .

A real drive-by flame-threader if I ever saw one ..
September 3, 2011 11:08:37 PM

dogman_1234 said:
Look at you old farts! Reminiscing over the good ol' days. Too bad a young buck like me will never have a hay day for his pastime. :( 

I think it's "hey day", unless you're of the equine persuasion :p ..

Anyway, JDJ is far, FAR older than me or just about any other known living person :D . He taught Atasanoff & Mauchley how to build the first digital computers, by punching holes in a piece of paper and then pushing his fingers through so that he could count on them (fingers = digits :D ).
September 3, 2011 11:40:33 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
I think it's "hey day", unless you're of the equine persuasion :p ..

Anyway, JDJ is far, FAR older than me or just about any other known living person :D . He taught Atasanoff & Mauchley how to build the first digital computers, by punching holes in a piece of paper and then pushing his fingers through so that he could count on them (fingers = digits :D ).

Um, i think that is called Braille.
September 4, 2011 6:29:22 AM

Aah ... the nostalgia is making me feel ill.

Just thought of something wingy once said so I had to take a short break to brush my teeth and gargle.

:) 

!