Your question

Random crash with sound loop only in WoW

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 14, 2012 7:30:33 PM

Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-3450 cPU @3.10 GHz 3.10GHz
Installed memoory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

i am getting crash randomly sound just goes like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ,and then i am not able to restart only shutdown,sometimes its bluescreen,here is screenshot after bluescreen,i've updated drivers,reinstalled wow,removed addons,delete cache... what can be the problem i have new pc

OK here's the thing i tried change in the launcher 32bit and direct x9 ,there are no crashes then with trrrrrrrr sound and blackscreen,but there is another problem when i done that,bluescreen after 5 minutes ,i reinstalled my drivers ,tried another,older drivers,and then i go back to newest ones,i dont know should i pay another month wow until this fix... here are screenshots,please tell me what else should i post

http://postimage.org/image/cssdz5v5j/
http://postimage.org/image/96lnjt17v/
http://postimage.org/image/zbsdd3xir/c2b8eee4/
http://postimage.org/image/palx88f7j/903fb0e2/

here is dxdiag http://pastebin.com/MeARUGEY
October 14, 2012 7:37:43 PM

Are you overclocking?
October 14, 2012 7:44:43 PM

no,i mean i dont even know what is that,i just bought my pc month ago,everything new and fresh
Related resources
October 14, 2012 7:49:52 PM

Ok, well, based on your pictures it appears that you have a video card problem of some sort.
Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling your video card drivers?
October 14, 2012 8:09:04 PM

yes couple of times,but only in wow i get crash
October 15, 2012 12:21:39 AM

Have you tried reinstalling wow?
October 15, 2012 1:29:28 PM

memadmax said:
Have you tried reinstalling wow?

twice
October 15, 2012 2:51:22 PM

So this is just in WoW, and not in other games?
Also, did this start happening after installing Pandaria, assuming you bought it?
October 15, 2012 2:53:23 PM

What other games do you play that do not have problems?

Have you updated your motherboard chipset and audio drivers?

Who built your computer, have you asked them about the problem? (Considering the computer is new, I'm suspicious that you have a hardware problem)
When did you start having the problem, has it always happened with the new PC? Was it after a patch in wow, or a driver update?
October 15, 2012 2:55:44 PM

Its only in wow,i play cs ,never happens nothing...i played prototype 2 never happened ,no without pandaria it also happened..i dont know how to find solution
October 15, 2012 3:09:18 PM

your pc might be getting hot or there is something wrong with your power supply...sometime drivers are to blame, especially AMD drivers
October 15, 2012 3:15:44 PM

well,guys what do u recommend me to do? or test something,i am not so gosu with computers ,i just wanna play this stupid game :) 
October 15, 2012 3:31:30 PM

It's the card. (IMO) I always recommend for WoW builds to go with a nvidia card. AMD and WoW just play weird games with each other. TOMS put out an article on one of their video card benchmarks and even they had random crashes using different AMD cards.

Edit* I recommend if still possible. Return the card and get an equivalent nvidia card.
October 15, 2012 7:32:04 PM

I think its impossible,i gave too much money,its very good pc for every other game,cant believe this is happening..hope they will realease some new driver with compability to run smooth
October 15, 2012 8:06:27 PM

I'll ask these again:

Have you updated your motherboard chipset and audio drivers?

Who built your computer, have you asked them about the problem? (Considering the computer is new, I'm suspicious that you have a hardware problem)
When did you start having the problem, has it always happened with the new PC? Was it after a patch in wow, or a driver update?

For what it's worth, new electronics are sometimes defective, it happens, and it's expected. If your problem is hardware, you can return it or RMA it and have it fixed (usually you must pay shipping, the rest is free)

If you bought the PC from a manufacturer like Dell or CyberPower or some business, you should get support through them to fix your computer (assuming the issue is a hardware issue).

If you had the computer built by a friend, or built it yourself, you'll have to troubleshoot and find the exact problem so you only have to ship one thing back. We can help you find the problem, but you have to do a lot of work yourself and report the results. Once you find the problem, you'll probably be without the computer for multiple weeks (RMAs can be slow) so plan for that.

Your whole computer isn't busted, it's just gotten complicated. It could still be a software issue too, but there isn't enough information to tell, and you haven't given enough information to give any advice on what to do yet. The full specs on your computer would also be helpful: CPU, GPU model, Motherboard model, Memory manufacturer, PSU model, any additional hardware (such as sound cards, etc), hard drives, etc. ANY other problems you've had with the computer.

A few things you can check: Run Memtest86 overnight to test for memory errors; run some other high requirements games, keeping an eye on your temperatures using Cpuz and Gpuz (try Tribes: Ascend and/or Team Fortress 2 if you don't have many games, both are free); my guess is that WoW isn't the only program you will have trouble with (I played wow a significant amount on an ATI(AMD) HD4870, without any such issues, I think the bit about WoW and AMD is probably misinformed or overstated), trying different versions of the AMD drivers would be beneficial though.
October 15, 2012 8:17:09 PM

The 7850 has known issues playing WoW... Read Tom's Hardware review of the 7850 and 7870 playing WoW.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

see the final sentence
"Finally, we have to mention that the Radeon HD 7850 crashed over and over during testing, requiring far too many reboots before we were finally able to capture useable benchmark results. "

I agree with unoriginal1 on using Nvidia cards to play WoW.
Incidently... my 560 Ti rocks WoW all day long on Ultra settings at greater than 60 fps. If you wanted a newer card the GTX 650 Ti runs WoW about the same as a 560 Ti.
October 15, 2012 8:39:34 PM

Everything updated,computer is new,i bought them in some shop in serbia,normal,everything working perfectly except this in wow,i dont know about patch,i didnt play until this patch,my first time to play wow,it starts happend when i bought pc,month ago,i didnt play wow earlier as i mention

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4838103854 these guys have the same problem,dont u think that i am not the only one with same error
October 15, 2012 8:40:37 PM

djscribbles said:
I think the bit about WoW and AMD is probably misinformed or overstated), trying different versions of the AMD drivers would be beneficial though.

No misinformation or overstatement. I have nothing against AMD. But Ive seen enough builds for WoW to know that they just don't play well.

Although... I do agree that trying an earlier driver / different drivers is a good idea.
October 15, 2012 8:44:10 PM

i heard that 12.3 driver will be an option,but i cant install it,cuz i have 64 bit
October 15, 2012 8:48:14 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/369616-33-7870-compat...
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794352578

All I'm saying is that all 78xx cards have certainly not been broken for the last 8 months (when the tom's review was published). It's rather ridiculous to suggest that somebody buy a different video card for that reason, especially without troubleshooting the issue further...

The tom's review was written on the paper-launched cards with what I would presume are beta drivers...
October 15, 2012 8:52:26 PM

So what do you recommend me to do?quit wow ?
October 15, 2012 8:54:48 PM

I like the 7800 series.. Quality cards. I'm not saying don't use them. Just saying that from the hundreds upon hundreds of builds Ive seen Ive ran into more issues with AMD cards specifically with WoW. To the point where if I'm building a system for WoW specifically I will not use an AMD card. (unless requested by the client)

But n e who... It's all pointless arguing.. You can show me forums, i can show you forums. Both are opinions. Just throwing my .02 to the OP. :) 
October 15, 2012 9:18:46 PM

ok guys,is this fixable or no,wanna tell me what to do,ill do...cuz i am not that good at pc...and btw its not laptop its desktop,but i didnt see thread for desktop
October 15, 2012 11:34:59 PM

acmilan91 said:
ok guys,is this fixable or no,wanna tell me what to do,ill do...cuz i am not that good at pc...and btw its not laptop its desktop,but i didnt see thread for desktop

I still find it odd that it's only WoW with the issue. Leading me to beleive it's the card; however, that shouldn't stop the necessary troubleshooting as that is only my opinion in no way does it consitute it's the answer or exactly whats causing the issues.

What you should do is refer to djscribbles recent post. He listed a ton of troubleshooting steps. Memtest, checkin temps, looking for other drivers. (make sure u remove all existing vid drivers first etc) Go through those steps first. After that... If nothing else works. I still recommend looking towards a nvidia card with whatever options that leaves you.

In the mean time... I'll do what research i can for what could cause issues with the drivers specificially and maybe there are display settings you can change/tweak to get past whatever is causing the cash.

Good luck! Hoping the best for you.

*edit
Just some fast research heres a couple of forum links that might help. A few guys changed graphic options and had better results. Some did not. All are having issues with AMD cards.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412494364?page...
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794732981

Hope this helps... :/  sucks that you can't play properly. Again Good Luck! Hoping it works out for you.
October 16, 2012 12:00:36 AM

Thanks man.
October 16, 2012 3:36:00 AM

You should be able to install 12.3 drivers, I had them on my win7 64bit install, I'm almost certain.

There was also a suggestion to turn off SSAO.
October 16, 2012 1:53:37 PM

can u please tell me how to do all of that,and can u give me link for that driver my graphic card is amd radeon hd 7800 series
October 16, 2012 2:53:35 PM

If you haven't done it yet, I would recommend doing a RAM test with memtest86 and let it run all night.

I thought I had this same issue with my new 7950, turned out that the graphics card is fine...wonderful, in fact!...but had RAM that was failing but only when the system got warmer than a certain temp, and also had a power supply that was starting to go out.

Replaced both RAM and power supply and WoW is solid on maxed-out settings, no crashes or issues since.
October 16, 2012 3:04:35 PM

seamus_ar said:
If you haven't done it yet, I would recommend doing a RAM test with memtest86 and let it run all night.

I thought I had this same issue with my new 7950, turned out that the graphics card is fine...wonderful, in fact!...but had RAM that was failing but only when the system got warmer than a certain temp, and also had a power supply that was starting to go out.

Replaced both RAM and power supply and WoW is solid on maxed-out settings, no crashes or issues since.

Just curious.. When you had that issue. Would it ONLY crash on WoW? Or on any game / application that would cause the temp to get to that certain point?
October 16, 2012 3:08:47 PM

No, it was only crashing on WoW. I play Crysis 2, as well as some older titles, Doom 3, Quake 4, and the like, but only Wow would crash.

I think only WoW actually got the system hot enough for the RAM to go flaky.

memtest86 would pass for the first several hours it ran, I had to run it overnight to finally catch that I had bad RAM.
October 16, 2012 5:36:31 PM

thanks guys,how to run memest first of all i want to test my ram then ill try that older driver
October 16, 2012 5:48:43 PM

I had a 7870 that failed at running WoW, but worked fine with other games (non-overclocked). Long story short, I replaced it with a GTX 670 and no problems whatsoever.

With the 7870 I would play for anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours and all of a sudden the screen would just freeze up. I tried all video drivers available at the time and nothing worked. I'm convinced WoW just hates AMD cards.

I ran diagnostics on all other components and nothing else was wrong, including Memtest.
October 16, 2012 5:56:28 PM

rdm3 said:
I had a 7870 that failed at running WoW, but worked fine with other games (non-overclocked). Long story short, I replaced it with a GTX 670 and no problems whatsoever.

With the 7870 I would play for anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours and all of a sudden the screen would just freeze up. I tried all video drivers available at the time and nothing worked. I'm convinced WoW just hates AMD cards.

I ran diagnostics on all other components and nothing else was wrong, including Memtest.

I'm convinced it's AMD's drivers. The cards are great for everything else except WoW. And it seems to be so hit or miss :/  One person can have a 7870 and run perfectly everything maxed while the persons roommate can have an identical build and crash every 20 minutes.

In this case i truly hope it is the Ram or 12.3 drivers solve it just to keep from buying a new card. But anxious to see the results.
October 16, 2012 6:00:12 PM

just tell me how to run memtest i downloaded it but cant find option run
October 16, 2012 6:02:33 PM

What you downloaded is an ISO image...burn the image to a CD and boot from that.
October 16, 2012 6:04:56 PM

damn i need empty disk,i dont have it atm...why i need to burn it?
October 16, 2012 6:21:29 PM

so i just put empty cd and burn simply as i see?
October 16, 2012 6:44:14 PM

yes, you have to burn it to a disc. No way around that that I know of. You have to boot from the disc after you burn it.

The site has links to instructions...
October 17, 2012 11:13:03 AM

If ur not crashing on anything else then memtest will do nothing.
Are you running addons with wow by any chance?
If you are, disable them and try again.
I run AMD vid cards and have no problems with wow unless I have crossfire turned on. make sure that is off. Yea, AMD drivers are weird sometimes.
October 17, 2012 12:26:55 PM

memadmax said:
If ur not crashing on anything else then memtest will do nothing.
Are you running addons with wow by any chance?
If you are, disable them and try again.
I run AMD vid cards and have no problems with wow unless I have crossfire turned on. make sure that is off. Yea, AMD drivers are weird sometimes.

Bad ram could theoretically work 99% of the time, especially if you've got 8GB to work with. You'll only crash when you try to use a bad hunk of memory; so it's not impossible that only wow crashes, especially if he's running the 64bit launcher (where almost every other game is 32bit, and restricted to a smaller memory footprint).

If disabling addons fixes the issue, that points even more at a hardware issue. Wow Addons have a rather limited API, and while it's conceivable that a bad add-on could crash WoW, they do not (or rather SHOULD not) have the sort of access that could crash the entire PC. So if the addons cause the crashing, it's likely due to increased CPU/RAM usage.

@OP
Though, one thing that hasn't been brought up... Have you tried running a few different anti-virus tools? If you've got some poorly coded mal-ware that targets WoW (trying to steal your account or whatever), then it's conceivable that it is crashing your PC. I would say this is a stretch, but it's worth investigating.
October 17, 2012 1:33:20 PM

i disabled addons,still crashing,i will pay wow today, i didnt have it few days,i will but empty disc today and try memtest all night
October 17, 2012 3:11:01 PM

From the thread you posted, it sounds like there are some problems in WoWs graphics engine, or that changes in WoW have exposed some rare usages of the video drivers.

Lots of people are having similar issues seemingly all recently. It's probably related to the new expansion and changes made to the graphics engine exposing a bug in AMD drivers.

Again, some people are reporting that 12.3 drivers are stable.
October 17, 2012 11:28:56 PM

guys i updated to 12.3 i played for 2-3 hours,no crash,ill see tomorrow...
October 18, 2012 2:21:50 PM

acmilan91 said:
guys i updated to 12.3 i played for 2-3 hours,no crash,ill see tomorrow...

Nice! Keep us posted i'd like to know what works and doesn't. Thanks
October 18, 2012 3:25:31 PM

Great news!
!