wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
I have had my ati radeon 9800 pro for about a year now and all of a sudden i started getting horizontal lines across my screen. ATI support said it was bad memory and exchanged the card for me. the problem is still happening and the card was really hot before and after. Are horizontal lines a result of a overheated card? i am not oc'ing or anything. Do i need to upgrade my psu? i just don't understand because all this was not happening a year ago and then all of a sudden bam!

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
I have a dell 8300 that is a little over a year old. The recommended watts for the radeon 9800 pro is 300 and my psu from dell is a measly 250. ATI is saying that is my problem and it will be fixed with a better psu. but that doesn't explain why it was working for a year then it goes crazy on me. I have no one to borrow a psu from so i'll have to buy one but dell told me that if i upgrade i may fry my mobo

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
First of all, thanx for your help.
I failed to mention that this is a second card that ati sent me under the warranty, they told me to send my first card back. I received this card about 2 weeks ago.
What are the capacitors?

Are you sure about the dells? they said that if i uprage the PSU that it will fry my mobo becuase it is only configured for 250watts

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Dell is full of it about the Wattage. You could use as big of power supply as you wanted. Your rig is only going to use what it needs. You would only have a problem if you didn't have enough power available.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I couldn't guarantee that it will fix the problem, but 250W is pretty small. It's even worse if it was cheaply made. The only decent one that I have experience with is a Thermaltake silent purepower and it's been pretty good. Check out Newegg.com. I would get a decent 400W supply. Don't buy one of the $25 ones either because they tend to be crappy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell lied. The only reason putting a new power supply in a Dell used to fry parts is that Dell had their power supplies wired wrong. On purpose.

Saying that a larger power supply would blow your computer just because it's larger is like saying a wall socket that supports a 1400W space heater will blow a 10W nightlight. It's not about the peak available power, it's all about how much the component draws.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, all the PIII's were wired wrong.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell switched from proprietary to stardard wiring when they moved to ATX 12v for the P4. If your power supply has the square 4-pin ATX12v plug going to the motherboard, it's probably wired normally. Otherwise it probably isn't.

Dell used the same plug for AT power as a standard ATX power supply uses, back in the Pentium 1 days. That's why they were wired differently. Dell later added a 3.3v line via a 6-pin flat connector, it was also nonstandard. Like I said, it wasn't until Intel went to the ATX 12v (P4 power) standard that Dell followed.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Ok, I am stupid when it comes to power supplies. I think I will try the power supply upgrade because I found an online calculater and it said that I am using 298 Watts with a 250 watt psu. sounds like a problem to me. however, I am really afraid of frying the motherboard.
Dell switched from proprietary to stardard wiring when they moved to ATX 12v for the P4. If your power supply has the square 4-pin ATX12v plug going to the motherboard, it's probably wired normally. Otherwise it probably isn't.
I don't know what i am looking for to find this information out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATX 12v connector looks like an ATX connector, only it's 2 rows wide (4 pins) instead of 10 rows wide (20-pins). The system would use both the 20-pin and 4-pin connector, and if those two are all that's connecting the power supply to your board, it's most likely a standard power supply.

Note that Dell cases have one side of the power connector panel blocked with sheet metal, and that most power supply have the power plug on the blocked side. Pictures help determine whether the power plug is in the correct location for your case, otherwise you'd have to notch the case out for the new power plug location.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Here are the pics of the inside of my puter, do you think that i could use that power supply? is it a good deal?
<A HREF="http://www.poorreflection.com/Rahul/PC/" target="_new">http://www.poorreflection.com/Rahul/PC/</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wakkoguy on 05/06/05 04:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Wow that is actually a standard ATX power supply, that is great news, go pick up a fortron 400-450ish watts power supply and get yourself that XFX 6600GT, or wait a minute, i think tigerdirect has the XFX 6800, for just over 200 dollars. The 6800 card has a possibility to unlock 4 pipelines.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The link for the <A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1004009&Sku=P450-8606" target="_new">6800</A> it's only 194 dollars.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
What are the capacitors?
Cylindrical things on the PCB that hold a charge like a battery, but lose it much faster...

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the color codes show it's a standard ATX power supply, now all you have to do is make sure the plug on the back of the one you buy is on the upper left corner, rather than the lower left corner (that is, unless you want to cut the hole in the back out larger).

You might also need to notch out the case near the power plug for a rear power switch, as most retail power supplies have a power switch there.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
<A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103908" target="_new">http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103908</A>

here is the one I want because I've heard antec trupowers are the most reliable? (please point me other directions if you think this is not true) I think the price is pretty good. However, it seems as if the plug is in a different place than my current one, i don't want to "notch out" (does that mean cut out?) anything in my case. and do I really need a place for the rear power switch? I don't think I'll ever use it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That power supply has the switch where your power plug goes, and the power plug where your case has sheet metal. It's shown laying on its bottom, but power supplies are normally mounted bottom up (the lid fan facing down). So yes, you'd need to enlongate the power plug hole in the back of your case, hence I used the word "notch it out".

Check ALL of Neweggs standard sized power supplies, they likely have at least one with the power plug location you seek.

Also, if your buy a power supply that has a switch, how do you propose to mount it if the switch collides with the back of your case? Hence my warning there as well.

pauldh

Illustrious
I have that Antec Power Supply. It was enough to power a GF6800U for me, but by no means is it superior to all it's competitors. Lately some people complain that Antecs quality may be slipping, but I can't complain about my 1-2 year old True430w. IMO, Antecs are good, but unless they come in the case, I'd buy other brands like Fortron Source.

Anyway, as Crash said, most powersupplies will definately require you to notch out(cut) the sheetmetal. But I see a plain Fortron 300w that looks like it would fit exactly assuming the screwholes match. Looking at Newegg, it seems Fortron also has a plain <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104973" target="_new">550W</A> that would fit without notching your sheetmetal for a power switch. 550W and $95 may be overkill for you, but I am not seeing that Fortron has anything inbetween the 300w and the 500w. The quiet Blue Storms are nice (I upgraded from an Antec True 430W to a BlueStorm 500W), but it looks like while close, some notching would be needed.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 05/07/05 09:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>