After latest update, freezing problem...

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I'm running XP Pro...upgraded to SP2 several months ago and everything was
working fine....downloaded and installed newest updates a few days ago, now
my machine will boot up, show the desktop, and start loading apps, settings,
etc...then all of a sudden it will freeze...
have not installed anything new, and the restore point will not
work....won't even boot into safe mode at all, it will show that drivers are
loaded then will go to a black screen and stop....
So I figured booting up from the CD and running the recovery console to
repair the install might work, but before running the recovery console, after
selecting it and the correct drive, it prompts me for an administrator
password, which I never put in to begin with...
Is there some kind of default password that is used, or some way to get
around that password prompt to start the console...
Any help would be appreciated....

Will the machine boot in safe mode?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

No...it will load the drivers it needs and when it gets to the last one it
hangs there for about 30-40 seconds or more then goes to a black screen and
doesn't do anything else...

"Raztax" wrote:

> Will the machine boot in safe mode?

Omni

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

This may have happened due to fragmentation of ur drive, with all these
updates that you downloaded recently and installed. Its always good to
run a defrag after installing/uninstalling new stuff and do it
regulalry to avoid boot problems and crashes.

--
omni