Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

recovery console password

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 14, 2005 1:07:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to the CD
and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console and select the
drive on which the installation resides, where it prompts me for a
password....I have never entered a password for that, only for my 1 user
account and that password doesn't work...is there a default password or a way
to get around that prompt???
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:59:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Are you using XP Home or Pro? If it's home, then the default password
is left blank...If you use Pro it asks you for the admin pass on setup.
If it's Home, and the pass is not blank, then someone put one there.
June 14, 2005 3:36:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Pro SP2....and I'm trying to restore from my original Pro CD, which I believe
was either SP1 or no SP (original first issue)...and when would I have put in
an admin password, cuz I did the original install and I don't remember
putting in an admin password....

"Raztax" wrote:

> Are you using XP Home or Pro? If it's home, then the default password
> is left blank...If you use Pro it asks you for the admin pass on setup.
> If it's Home, and the pass is not blank, then someone put one there.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:12:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Either try leaving the password blank - default for XP home Edition, or if
you are using XP Pro, the password is the one you used when installing XP.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:99197F3E-A16E-4F6B-BACD-F2A04EE5E65F@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to the
> CD
> and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console and select
> the
> drive on which the installation resides, where it prompts me for a
> password....I have never entered a password for that, only for my 1 user
> account and that password doesn't work...is there a default password or a
> way
> to get around that prompt???
June 14, 2005 9:12:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Will, thanks for the reply....I did try to leave it blank and that didn't
work....when you say the password that I used when installing XP, what do you
mean by that...I don't remember entering a password when I did the
install....only when I created my user account, which doesn't work...

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Either try leaving the password blank - default for XP home Edition, or if
> you are using XP Pro, the password is the one you used when installing XP.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:99197F3E-A16E-4F6B-BACD-F2A04EE5E65F@microsoft.com...
> > I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to the
> > CD
> > and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console and select
> > the
> > drive on which the installation resides, where it prompts me for a
> > password....I have never entered a password for that, only for my 1 user
> > account and that password doesn't work...is there a default password or a
> > way
> > to get around that prompt???
>
>
>
June 15, 2005 1:13:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Chris wrote:
> I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to
> the CD and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console
> and select the drive on which the installation resides, where it
> prompts me for a password....I have never entered a password for
> that, only for my 1 user account and that password doesn't work...is
> there a default password or a way to get around that prompt???

The password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
you are asked for a password, it may help.
Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
password by the following registry change:
Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
yConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

--
Mike Pawlak
!