recovery console password

I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to the CD
and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console and select the
drive on which the installation resides, where it prompts me for a
password....I have never entered a password for that, only for my 1 user
account and that password doesn't work...is there a default password or a way
to get around that prompt???
5 answers Last reply
More about recovery console password

    Are you using XP Home or Pro? If it's home, then the default password
    is left blank...If you use Pro it asks you for the admin pass on setup.
    If it's Home, and the pass is not blank, then someone put one there.

    Pro SP2....and I'm trying to restore from my original Pro CD, which I believe
    was either SP1 or no SP (original first issue)...and when would I have put in
    an admin password, cuz I did the original install and I don't remember
    putting in an admin password....

    "Raztax" wrote:

    > Are you using XP Home or Pro? If it's home, then the default password
    > is left blank...If you use Pro it asks you for the admin pass on setup.
    > If it's Home, and the pass is not blank, then someone put one there.

    Hi

    Either try leaving the password blank - default for XP home Edition, or if
    you are using XP Pro, the password is the one you used when installing XP.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    > I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to the
    > CD
    > and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console and select
    > the
    > drive on which the installation resides, where it prompts me for a
    > password....I have never entered a password for that, only for my 1 user
    > account and that password doesn't work...is there a default password or a
    > way
    > to get around that prompt???

    Hi Will, thanks for the reply....I did try to leave it blank and that didn't
    work....when you say the password that I used when installing XP, what do you
    mean by that...I don't remember entering a password when I did the
    install....only when I created my user account, which doesn't work...

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm trying to run the recovery console from the CD, after booting to
    > the CD and it comes up to a point after selecting to run the console
    > and select the drive on which the installation resides, where it
    > prompts me for a password....I have never entered a password for
    > that, only for my 1 user account and that password doesn't work...is
    > there a default password or a way to get around that prompt???

    The password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
    you are asked for a password, it may help.
    Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
    password by the following registry change:
    Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
    Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
    yConsole
    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

    --
    Mike Pawlak