Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newbie question on Broadband Cable Modem connection.. Dell..

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:53:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Running a new Dell 8400 with 512mb of DDR2 RAM, SATA drive, Broadcom
NetXtreme Gigabitt Ethernet card (stock install).

Running RoadRunner on Cable Modem.

2 items:

I do not see much speed difference in loading web pages and browsing
from my previous WIn2k Compaq Deskpro Pentium III/833MHZ machine. Tried
tweaking MTU with no improvement.

Secondly, what color should thhe connector lights be on the Ethernet
Card? I have an Orangey light. Was used to seeing green on other
machines.


Thanks
Patty
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:26:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks Tom, thought you could tell me about the lights since I thought
you had a Dell.

As for the 833 being faster under Win2k, I really thought I would see a
25% improvement with the new Dell since:

-it had/has faster memory
-256mb grapgics card rather than 32mb
-faster processor to translate web pages/Javascript and so on into
viewable images.
-faster bus speed (FSB)
-SATA hard drive and so on.....

One more question: Would moving to 1gb of memory make a difference, I
have some extra memory laying around BUT it is a slower speed (333mhz
DDR2) as opposed to the 2 533 chips in there.

Thanks for your kind and knowledgable replies.

Patty
March 28, 2005 5:01:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The mult-tasking will be a lot better with a P4, and a cable modem in use
together.
<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1111974791.587754.305930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Running a new Dell 8400 with 512mb of DDR2 RAM, SATA drive, Broadcom
> NetXtreme Gigabitt Ethernet card (stock install).
>
> Running RoadRunner on Cable Modem.
>
> 2 items:
>
> I do not see much speed difference in loading web pages and browsing
> from my previous WIn2k Compaq Deskpro Pentium III/833MHZ machine. Tried
> tweaking MTU with no improvement.
>
> Secondly, what color should thhe connector lights be on the Ethernet
> Card? I have an Orangey light. Was used to seeing green on other
> machines.
>
>
> Thanks
> Patty
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:57:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Can't tell you about the lights (never cared), but your 833 machine was
faster than the internet, so to speak. You won't see Internet speed
improvements from a new machine.

Tom
<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1111974791.587754.305930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Running a new Dell 8400 with 512mb of DDR2 RAM, SATA drive, Broadcom
> NetXtreme Gigabitt Ethernet card (stock install).
>
> Running RoadRunner on Cable Modem.
>
> 2 items:
>
> I do not see much speed difference in loading web pages and browsing
> from my previous WIn2k Compaq Deskpro Pentium III/833MHZ machine. Tried
> tweaking MTU with no improvement.
>
> Secondly, what color should thhe connector lights be on the Ethernet
> Card? I have an Orangey light. Was used to seeing green on other
> machines.
>
>
> Thanks
> Patty
>
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 8:57:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

There is very little you can do to your computer to improve its speed accessing
the internet. Plain and simple, the bottleneck is the speed of the broadband
cable connection. Even your old 833MHz system was fast enough to handle
javascript, page display etc, faster than the internet connection could feed the
data... Ben Myers

On 27 Mar 2005 19:26:31 -0800, pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:

>Thanks Tom, thought you could tell me about the lights since I thought
>you had a Dell.
>
>As for the 833 being faster under Win2k, I really thought I would see a
>25% improvement with the new Dell since:
>
>-it had/has faster memory
>-256mb grapgics card rather than 32mb
>-faster processor to translate web pages/Javascript and so on into
>viewable images.
>-faster bus speed (FSB)
>-SATA hard drive and so on.....
>
>One more question: Would moving to 1gb of memory make a difference, I
>have some extra memory laying around BUT it is a slower speed (333mhz
>DDR2) as opposed to the 2 533 chips in there.
>
>Thanks for your kind and knowledgable replies.
>
>Patty
>
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:27:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:
> There is very little you can do to your computer to improve its speed accessing
> the internet. Plain and simple, the bottleneck is the speed of the broadband
> cable connection. Even your old 833MHz system was fast enough to handle
> javascript, page display etc, faster than the internet connection could feed the
> data... Ben Myers
>
More likely the bottleneck is at the other end -- the server you're
connecting to. Most big sites can pump out your cable modem's bandwith,
but small sites rarely upload anywhere near 1.5Mbps or higher. To the
original poster, the last system I had that I noticed lag over a
broadband connection was a Pentium 166 in 1997 (I was fortunate to live
in an early test are for cable modems & DSL).
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:03:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks all. Great info. I appreciate your time.
Patty
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:02:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have lots of Dells, but never bothered to learn what the little lights
meant. The NIC either works, or....
<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1111980391.471486.59280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks Tom, thought you could tell me about the lights since I thought
> you had a Dell.
>
!