Ms Pac Man - placement of Yellow coated ground strap

Hi all,

Trying to resolve that "wavy problem"
so I want to nail down all the grounds.

One of the yellow coated ground straps
is not connected. It's the one on the smaller transformer
(the one towards the front of the cab - the one not
connected to the fuses)

The other strap that is connected to the larger transformer
is connected to the game board.

Does anyone know where this other one is supposed to go?

Thanks

Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about placement yellow coated ground strap

    If you've got a recurring wave on your monitor- passing from right to
    left, it's a 60hz "hum bar" and is typically caused by the cheap-o fuse
    holders in the base of the cabinet. The other cause is a weak and / or
    dirty edge connector at the game board.

    Radio Shack sells good fuse holders, you'll need a pair of their 4
    block sets, and you can cut off the unused holders. Solder each wire
    one at a time and verify the fuse ratings while you're at it. It's
    also a good idea to go ahead and install new fuses in case the
    originals have corrosion. That will fix your hum bar the majority of
    the time.

    As for the edge connector, if needed you can clean it with alcohol and
    a scotch brite pad, I have on occasion gently adjusted the inner wipers
    on the edge connector with a dental tool, but bending too far will
    unseat them and lead to shorts from the solder side to the component
    side- so tread lightly.

    For the finishing touch, you could install one of my 96 in 1 Multi-Pacs
    :-)

    http://home.everestkc.net/mdoyle/multipac.htm

    Mike Doyle

    On 3 Aug 2005 11:24:50 -0700, "Mike" <pinbuoy@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Trying to resolve that "wavy problem"
    >so I want to nail down all the grounds.
    >
    >One of the yellow coated ground straps
    >is not connected. It's the one on the smaller transformer
    >(the one towards the front of the cab - the one not
    >connected to the fuses)
    >
    >The other strap that is connected to the larger transformer
    >is connected to the game board.
    >
    >Does anyone know where this other one is supposed to go?

    As long as you tie all of them are tied together you should be OK.
    Basically, they all end up back at the ground (Center round) lug
    at the wall plug.

    Best,

    - Mike -

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Trying to resolve that "wavy problem"
    > so I want to nail down all the grounds.

    Some people recommend replacing the fuse block / fuses. But I have found
    that bad edge connector contact comes up at least as often if not more
    as the cause of the hum. Sometimes the contacts within the connector
    get loose and do not make good contact with the board. Other times the
    contacts are slightly misaligned by a few mm and they interfere with
    adjacent contacts.

    Matt

    I find that it's usually not the edge connector on the board itself, but the
    black molex. The pins wear down over time and don't have the spring they
    used to and they tend to corrode much like anything else. It's a pain in
    the ass to swap them out but it's well worth the trouble. If you decide to
    swap it just do it one pin at a time, don't sever the whole old one and then
    try to use the color coding on it, it can be troublesome. Bob Roberts sells
    a little kit with a new Molex and the fuse holders in one baggie.

    Scott

    www.agelessarcade.com

    "Matthew DeSantis" <md4l@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Trying to resolve that "wavy problem"
    >> so I want to nail down all the grounds.
    >>

    > Some people recommend replacing the fuse block / fuses. But I have found
    > that bad edge connector contact comes up at least as often if not more
    > as the cause of the hum. Sometimes the contacts within the connector
    > get loose and do not make good contact with the board. Other times the
    > contacts are slightly misaligned by a few mm and they interfere with
    > adjacent contacts.
    >
    > Matt

    If you're going that distance, you may as well install a switching power
    supply as long as you don't mind not being original. Bob Roberts has a nice
    adapter arrangement so you don't have to hack your cabinet and can restore
    it back to the original transformer arrangement although I wouldn't
    understand why you'd want to do that. You will be rid of the wavy lines
    forever and can unsolder that ugly yellow strap.

    If you decide to stay with the original transformer and fuse block
    arrangement, you MUST change the molex connector pins (on the power contacts
    at least) when you replace the fuse block. As the original contacts weaken
    and and make poorer and poorer contact with the board, the contact starts
    acting like a resistor and heats up. How many poor pac boards have you seen
    with the A B/1 2 wide contact charred? I've repaired so many I've lost
    count. If you use the switcher, it is more forgiving of the higher
    resistance of the contacts as you are delivering less current to the board
    through the contacts to begin with and won't have the heat buildup.

    Best Regards,

    Bill

    "thrushguy" <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I find that it's usually not the edge connector on the board itself, but
    the
    > black molex. The pins wear down over time and don't have the spring they
    > used to and they tend to corrode much like anything else. It's a pain in
    > the ass to swap them out but it's well worth the trouble. If you decide
    > swap it just do it one pin at a time, don't sever the whole old one and
    then
    > try to use the color coding on it, it can be troublesome. Bob Roberts
    sells
    > a little kit with a new Molex and the fuse holders in one baggie.
    >
    > Scott
    >
    > www.agelessarcade.com
    >

    > "Matthew DeSantis" <md4l@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
    > > Mike wrote:
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> Trying to resolve that "wavy problem"
    > >> so I want to nail down all the grounds.
    > >>

    > > Some people recommend replacing the fuse block / fuses. But I have found
    > > that bad edge connector contact comes up at least as often if not more
    > > as the cause of the hum. Sometimes the contacts within the connector
    > > get loose and do not make good contact with the board. Other times the
    > > contacts are slightly misaligned by a few mm and they interfere with
    > > adjacent contacts.
    > >
    > > Matt

Games Video Video Games