xp taskbar disappears when using remote desktop

I am having a wierd problem with my XP pro box. I use remote desktop to
log in from work on a regular basis. Every day or two when I log in
remotely my taskbar has disappeared. I can only access the start menu
by pressing the windows key and I can only switch programs by using
Alt-Tab. When I get home and log in locally, the taskbar is still not
there. It only reappears when I restart the computer.

Here are some solutions I have tried:

1. Switching users locally without shutting down any programs.

2. I have read something about some explorer.exe crash and I have tried
the fix for this. The explorer.exe crash was apparently not the
problem.

If anyone has had any success fixing this or has any ideas on possible
solutions they would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Greg