Defragmenter stops on a regsitry file

I have been trying to Defrag my hard drive-I have done this successfully
many times. Now however, the defrag processes stops-it is trying to move a
file called:
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

Why does it stop running on this file and what can I do to correct the
problem?
Keith
3 answers Last reply
More about defragmenter stops regsitry file

    Maybe the file is getting updated during the defragmentation process.
    Which defragmenter are you using? A third party tool with smart
    features may be a good regualr defrag option.

    --
    omni

    "Keith Truman" wrote:
    > I have been trying to Defrag my hard drive-I have done this
    > successfully
    > many times. Now however, the defrag processes stops-it is
    > trying to move a
    > file called:
    > _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
    >
    > Why does it stop running on this file and what can I do to
    > correct the
    > problem?
    > Keith

    Try running defrag in safe mode or you can download a third party
    defrag program which will allow you to defrag your drive before
    windows starts.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Defragmenter-stops-regsitry-file-ftopict546018.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1732425

    "1badtech" wrote:
    > Try running defrag in safe mode or you can download a third
    > party defrag program which will allow you to defrag your drive
    > before windows starts.

    Yes defrag in safe mode almost always works without any problems.
    Third party tools are faster than Windows Disk Defragger and a good
    one will perform in the background at a low CPU priority level without
    clashing with other applications.

Support Defragment Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP