Defragmenter stops on a regsitry file

June 14, 2005 10:17:49 PM

I have been trying to Defrag my hard drive-I have done this successfully
many times. Now however, the defrag processes stops-it is trying to move a
file called:
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

Why does it stop running on this file and what can I do to correct the
problem?
Keith
June 17, 2005 5:35:10 PM

Maybe the file is getting updated during the defragmentation process.
Which defragmenter are you using? A third party tool with smart
features may be a good regualr defrag option.

--
omni
Anonymous

"Keith Truman" wrote:
> I have been trying to Defrag my hard drive-I have done this
> successfully
> many times. Now however, the defrag processes stops-it is
> trying to move a
> file called:
> _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
>
> Why does it stop running on this file and what can I do to
> correct the
> problem?
> Keith

Try running defrag in safe mode or you can download a third party
defrag program which will allow you to defrag your drive before
windows starts.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Defragmente...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1732425
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 3:35:44 PM

"1badtech" wrote:
> Try running defrag in safe mode or you can download a third
> party defrag program which will allow you to defrag your drive
> before windows starts.

Yes defrag in safe mode almost always works without any problems.
Third party tools are faster than Windows Disk Defragger and a good
one will perform in the background at a low CPU priority level without
clashing with other applications.
!