Sign in with
Your question

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO what a mess!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2005 11:12:47 PM

Hello guys

Last October I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 pro. I kept it in the package since my comp by then was not suitable for such big video card. On February I finally got a very far from the edge, but reasonable machine, an AMD +3000 Sempron (don’t laugh gentleman) with a MSI KT6 Delta mobo, 1 GB RAM, 450 w power supply, SATA HD 120 GB, all running on Windows XP Pro with SP2 and every possible update on. After installing the video card everything seemed perfect, until I installed the latest ATI drivers, then the nightmare begun, at the mobo’s logo screen it seemed that a few “portions” of the graphics were misplaced, like dragged, and so on as the windows loads, then some yellow vertical lines appears on the screen. The machine hangs constantly; most of 3D displays seem to be corrupted. Already tried other versions of ATI drivers, BIOS updates, finally tested the card in 2 other comps and always gives the same result. No one replies from ATI’s customer care, so what? I’m doomed? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Y.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2005 12:35:15 AM

First, did you run drivercleaner or something similar and do a clean install??

Second, disable FastWrites.

Third, what kind of 450W powersupply, generic?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
May 3, 2005 3:53:49 AM

Thanks for your interest Ape

Actually was a fresh mint comp, all parts new, so nothing was previously installed. Tried both ways, fast write enabled and disabled also tried other bios options and nothing. The PSU is kinda generic, a Giler, that comes with most Nemo ATX cases.

I noticed a similar problem in this thread:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Seems that I’m not the only one suffering in the world for wasting 350$, although this guy at least got some attention from ATI. I requested my guaranty 3 weeks ago and nooooothing.

Y.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2005 5:23:02 AM

Well the only other thing I can suggest is to try running mem test, but considering you tried it in other rigs, it's unlikely to be the source.

Could just be a bad card, there's a few of them out there, even if there were a low fault rate, you'd still wind up with a bunch. A friend of mine has recently upgraded to an OEM R9800P with his GA-VRXP which came out pre-8X compliance and he's doing fine with his. But it's really a question of all these pieces coming together and even if it's not a faulty R9800P (though it sounds like it might be) it's a trouble shooting bonanza to be sure.

You should be able to get ATI to RMA it considering you still have packaging/receipt etc. and the warranties are 3years (it was BBA right?).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
May 3, 2005 1:37:47 PM

If it's a genuine ATI card, phone them and ask what's up. You need to RMA that card.

May 3, 2005 8:07:54 PM

Gotta phone 'em. The only problem is that the card was acquired in Toronto, CAN, but I live at Caracas, Venezuela, seems that I'm about to find the real quality service of the guys for abroad customers.

Thanks guys
!