Control Panel Won't Open

When I open Control Panel, I get an error message that says, An exception
occurred while trying to run "C:\windows\=system32\shell32.dll,control_runDLL"
C:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl,Add or remove programs

I have tried a system restore, registering shell32 and appwiz.cpl with
regsvr32, and sfc /scannow. None have worked. Any ideas?

Win XP Pro, new install of SP 2 and Java jre-1_5_0_02-windows-i586-p

BTW, this only happens in Add remove programs. the other icons work just fine.