TECH: _Ms. Pac_ -- no red sprites problem fixed!

I posted a question about this problem about a week ago. Finally fixed the
board today, and it was a toughie. Thought I'd post the information here to
save someone else a lot of time and work.

Board: _Ms. Pac Man_.
Symptom: No red sprites. (That is, no red color on any of the moving
images.) Red color is present elsewhere on screen, such as in the maze and
alphanumerics.

What I tried: Replacing color PROMs at 4A and 7F; character EPROMs at 5E
and 5F; 7489 RAMs; supporting TTL logic chips...

Solution: The culprit turned out to be a bad 74LS20 at location 3E. In
particular, the input on pin 2 was not responding. What was really
infuriating about this was I had previously removed that chip and tested it,
and it worked on the bench!!!! #*$%%#*. Replacing that chip cured all.

Whew! :)

Matt J. McCullar

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Why would you remove, test and replace a chip worth less then a dollar?

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:51:46 +1000, "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Why would you remove, test and replace a chip worth less then a dollar?

Maybe he didn't have a replacement at the time? :)

VaxX wrote:
>Why would you remove, test and replace a chip worth less then a dollar?
Because occasionally a "new" IC's technology (sometimes considerably
different) causes it to be incompatible with a 30 year old circuit.
--
For God, Family and Republic!
My plan to save the world: