Tech: Degaussing my space duel Part 2

Thi may be bad form but I'm afraid this may get buried in the
thread...can anyone offer some advice? I posted the following on my

Thanks for the help guys...

Regarding my color shifted sapce duel (See previous post)...

I'm 90% there now!

Ran out to Fry's electronics to buy a Degaussing Coil (impatient as I
am). Cleared the screen up 90%! Awesome..

Now I need help with the remaining 10%...

At the upper right corner I still have about 2.5 inches square that
shows as blueish purple. It should be all red. This is right where
the Red Ship's available ships are displayed. They need to be red.

Here's the problem. When I unlatch the control panel and tip it
forward They turn red and the screen looks perfect. When I put the
control panel back in place they discolor to purple again. I
disconnected the wiring to the control panel to see if the "Powered"
panel made the difference, it did not. I believe that I need to shield

the metal of the panel somehow. Is this the solution?

Any thoughts? I've seen that there is magnetic shielding material
available, would this work?

I am sooo close...thanks in advance!
20 answers Last reply
More about tech degaussing space duel part

    Where do you have your machine? I had the exact same problem with one
    of my cabs because it was in the garage and too close to the large
    metal garage door. Also what happens if you rotate the cab? Does the
    problem disappear.

    Just a thought .... is the CP grounded??
    Try running an extra line from the CP to a common ground point.
    <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Thi may be bad form but I'm afraid this may get buried in the
    > thread...can anyone offer some advice? I posted the following on my
    >
    > Thanks for the help guys...
    >
    > Regarding my color shifted sapce duel (See previous post)...
    >

    > I'm 90% there now!
    >

    > Ran out to Fry's electronics to buy a Degaussing Coil (impatient as I
    > am). Cleared the screen up 90%! Awesome..
    >

    > Now I need help with the remaining 10%...
    >

    > At the upper right corner I still have about 2.5 inches square that
    > shows as blueish purple. It should be all red. This is right where
    > the Red Ship's available ships are displayed. They need to be red.
    >

    > Here's the problem. When I unlatch the control panel and tip it
    > forward They turn red and the screen looks perfect. When I put the
    > control panel back in place they discolor to purple again. I
    > disconnected the wiring to the control panel to see if the "Powered"
    > panel made the difference, it did not. I believe that I need to shield
    >
    > the metal of the panel somehow. Is this the solution?
    >

    > Any thoughts? I've seen that there is magnetic shielding material
    > available, would this work?
    >

    > I am sooo close...thanks in advance!

    I'm a novice...What's a CP? (control panel?)

    My space duel is in my basement, not near anything metal or magnetic.
    Rotating the cab doesn't help, unfortunately.

    It's definately something to do with interference from the metal
    control panel. I will try grounding it.

    Thanks...

    Any other suggestions are appreciated...

    Frustrating...

    The CP is grounded, but for kicks I grounded it in two locations. Did
    nothing for my problem. I even filed down all the corroded contact
    points to insure I had a good ground.

    Also Degaussed the CP which again (Unfortunately) did nothing.

    Again, when I swing the CP open the display is beautiful and the red
    ships score is actually red! When I close the CP the red ship's score
    goes purple.

    Will shielding tape do the job?

    Any more thoughts?

    VaxX wrote:
    > Try degaussing the control panel.
    >
    > <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm a novice...What's a CP? (control panel?)
    > >
    > > My space duel is in my basement, not near anything metal or magnetic.
    > > Rotating the cab doesn't help, unfortunately.
    > >
    > > It's definately something to do with interference from the metal
    > > control panel. I will try grounding it.
    > >
    > > Thanks...
    > >
    > > Any other suggestions are appreciated...

    Paper clip doesn't stick to the CP.

    I don't get it...

    It's almost like the control panel is creating a parallel universe
    where Space Duels can be seen but not played that runs congruent to
    another universe where they can be played but not seen as well :-)

    If you've eliminated everything else (wiring, cabinet orientation, ect)
    then the control panel *has* to be throwing off a field that's
    disrupting the screen image.

    When you have the control panel open, are you changing the orientation
    of the cab when it's closed? It's odd that the upper corner would be
    affected since that's one heck of a local field to reach across and
    impact the upper corner.

    This one is a puzzler for certain.

    Mike Doyle
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Ahhh yes...

    The inevitable "Parallel Universe" theory. Useful when no other
    logical explanation can be reached. Which is almost where I am at with
    this whole thing. ;)

    Here's the deal...

    If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    is CLOSED: I see the purple color shift in the upper right corner.

    If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    is OPEN: The upper right corner is the most beautiful shade of red
    possible (as it should be).

    Clearly my CP is the culprit. I can literally watch the color shift as
    I open and close the control panel!

    I will say that there is some paint worn off the back of the control
    panel exposing bare metal. Not possible for this to have any effect is
    it? I am REALLY grasping at straws on that one, I know.

    I did try moving the harness wires around to see if they were causing
    the interference and it doesn't appear as they are the problem. It is
    the metal in the CP that is either creating or reshaping a magnetic
    field being emmitted by my machine.

    Any thoughts? Still havent heard opinions on any kind of magnetic
    shielding material.

    This seems like such a minor glitch that it should be easy to fix...any
    help with this puzzler is appreciated.

    syncbus@gmail.com wrote:
    > It's almost like the control panel is creating a parallel universe
    > where Space Duels can be seen but not played that runs congruent to
    > another universe where they can be played but not seen as well :-)
    >
    > If you've eliminated everything else (wiring, cabinet orientation, ect)
    > then the control panel *has* to be throwing off a field that's
    > disrupting the screen image.
    >
    > When you have the control panel open, are you changing the orientation
    > of the cab when it's closed? It's odd that the upper corner would be
    > affected since that's one heck of a local field to reach across and
    > impact the upper corner.
    >
    > This one is a puzzler for certain.
    >
    > Mike Doyle
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hold a metal paper clip onto a metal part of the CP to see if it sticks. If
    it dose your CP is magnetized causing you the problem.

    > Frustrating...
    >
    > The CP is grounded, but for kicks I grounded it in two locations. Did
    > nothing for my problem. I even filed down all the corroded contact
    > points to insure I had a good ground.
    >
    > Also Degaussed the CP which again (Unfortunately) did nothing.
    >
    > Again, when I swing the CP open the display is beautiful and the red
    > ships score is actually red! When I close the CP the red ship's score
    > goes purple.
    >
    > Will shielding tape do the job?
    >
    > Any more thoughts?
    >

    > VaxX wrote:
    >> Try degaussing the control panel.
    >>
    >> <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > I'm a novice...What's a CP? (control panel?)
    >> >
    >> > My space duel is in my basement, not near anything metal or magnetic.
    >> > Rotating the cab doesn't help, unfortunately.
    >> >
    >> > It's definately something to do with interference from the metal
    >> > control panel. I will try grounding it.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks...
    >> >
    >> > Any other suggestions are appreciated...

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Just a thought.
    Try tugging on the wiring harness whilst the CP is open. Maybe you have a
    dodgy connection somewhere.

    > Paper clip doesn't stick to the CP.
    >
    > I don't get it...

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    In an "Ideal" world I would.

    However, cost and availability are issues here.

    I'll keep an eye out for one while I continue to troubleshoot.

    Anyone EVER use the Mumetal shielding material?

    James Wood wrote:
    > Why dont you buy another control panel
    > to swap out to see if it makes any difference?
    >

    > <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Ahhh yes...
    > >
    > > The inevitable "Parallel Universe" theory. Useful when no other
    > > logical explanation can be reached. Which is almost where I am at with
    > > this whole thing. ;)
    > >
    > > Here's the deal...
    > >
    > > If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    > > is CLOSED: I see the purple color shift in the upper right corner.
    > >
    > > If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    > > is OPEN: The upper right corner is the most beautiful shade of red
    > > possible (as it should be).
    > >
    > > Clearly my CP is the culprit. I can literally watch the color shift as
    > > I open and close the control panel!
    > >
    > > I will say that there is some paint worn off the back of the control
    > > panel exposing bare metal. Not possible for this to have any effect is
    > > it? I am REALLY grasping at straws on that one, I know.
    > >
    > > I did try moving the harness wires around to see if they were causing
    > > the interference and it doesn't appear as they are the problem. It is
    > > the metal in the CP that is either creating or reshaping a magnetic
    > > field being emmitted by my machine.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? Still havent heard opinions on any kind of magnetic
    > > shielding material.
    > >
    > > This seems like such a minor glitch that it should be easy to fix...any
    > > help with this puzzler is appreciated.
    > >

    > > syncbus@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> It's almost like the control panel is creating a parallel universe
    > >> where Space Duels can be seen but not played that runs congruent to
    > >> another universe where they can be played but not seen as well :-)
    > >>
    > >> If you've eliminated everything else (wiring, cabinet orientation, ect)
    > >> then the control panel *has* to be throwing off a field that's
    > >> disrupting the screen image.
    > >>
    > >> When you have the control panel open, are you changing the orientation
    > >> of the cab when it's closed? It's odd that the upper corner would be
    > >> affected since that's one heck of a local field to reach across and
    > >> impact the upper corner.
    > >>
    > >> This one is a puzzler for certain.
    > >>
    > >> Mike Doyle

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Try degaussing the control panel.

    <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm a novice...What's a CP? (control panel?)
    >
    > My space duel is in my basement, not near anything metal or magnetic.
    > Rotating the cab doesn't help, unfortunately.
    >
    > It's definately something to do with interference from the metal
    > control panel. I will try grounding it.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Any other suggestions are appreciated...

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Why dont you buy another control panel
    to swap out to see if it makes any difference?

    <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Ahhh yes...
    >
    > The inevitable "Parallel Universe" theory. Useful when no other
    > logical explanation can be reached. Which is almost where I am at with
    > this whole thing. ;)
    >
    > Here's the deal...
    >
    > If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    > is CLOSED: I see the purple color shift in the upper right corner.
    >
    > If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    > is OPEN: The upper right corner is the most beautiful shade of red
    > possible (as it should be).
    >
    > Clearly my CP is the culprit. I can literally watch the color shift as
    > I open and close the control panel!
    >
    > I will say that there is some paint worn off the back of the control
    > panel exposing bare metal. Not possible for this to have any effect is
    > it? I am REALLY grasping at straws on that one, I know.
    >
    > I did try moving the harness wires around to see if they were causing
    > the interference and it doesn't appear as they are the problem. It is
    > the metal in the CP that is either creating or reshaping a magnetic
    > field being emmitted by my machine.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Still havent heard opinions on any kind of magnetic
    > shielding material.
    >
    > This seems like such a minor glitch that it should be easy to fix...any
    > help with this puzzler is appreciated.
    >

    > syncbus@gmail.com wrote:
    >> It's almost like the control panel is creating a parallel universe
    >> where Space Duels can be seen but not played that runs congruent to
    >> another universe where they can be played but not seen as well :-)
    >>
    >> If you've eliminated everything else (wiring, cabinet orientation, ect)
    >> then the control panel *has* to be throwing off a field that's
    >> disrupting the screen image.
    >>
    >> When you have the control panel open, are you changing the orientation
    >> of the cab when it's closed? It's odd that the upper corner would be
    >> affected since that's one heck of a local field to reach across and
    >> impact the upper corner.
    >>
    >> This one is a puzzler for certain.
    >>
    >> Mike Doyle

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    A handheld degausing coil does not gradually turn itself off like a
    built in one does. You unplug it and the magnetic field collapses
    releasing a VERY strong electromagnetic pulse. it can and WILL actually
    CHARGE nearby objects.

    I suggest you degauss the CRT, FRAME, retaining STRAPS, back of the
    CP, and then step at LEAST 6 feet away before you turn it off.

    - Matt
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    OK...for what it's worth (hopefully a thousand words)

    Here is a link to pictures of my trouble...

    Should I buy magnetic shielding material for the back of my CP?

    http://home.comcast.net/~skbrothers/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-MerchantID-937331-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-5.html

    Hope this thread isn't too buried by now...
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    ok.. quick test... take the control panel (totally disconnect it) off and
    wave it around near the monitor just to make sure it *is* the CP and not
    some other effect... also wave various sides, etc around to see what you
    find.

    It's strange that someone was able to induce a permanent magnet into the
    CP... it's also strange that the CP was able to retain that much strength (I
    would have doubted that a simple ferrite magnet would be strong enough at
    that distance...

    if the CP seems to be causing the issue the try taking the parts off (start
    buttons, etc) until it's blank and see if something else makes it go away...

    > In an "Ideal" world I would.
    >
    > However, cost and availability are issues here.
    >
    > I'll keep an eye out for one while I continue to troubleshoot.
    >
    > Anyone EVER use the Mumetal shielding material?
    >

    > James Wood wrote:
    >> Why dont you buy another control panel
    >> to swap out to see if it makes any difference?
    >>

    >> <skbrothers@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > Ahhh yes...
    >> >
    >> > The inevitable "Parallel Universe" theory. Useful when no other
    >> > logical explanation can be reached. Which is almost where I am at with
    >> > this whole thing. ;)
    >> >
    >> > Here's the deal...
    >> >
    >> > If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    >> > is CLOSED: I see the purple color shift in the upper right corner.
    >> >
    >> > If I leave the cabinet stationary (facing North), and the control panel
    >> > is OPEN: The upper right corner is the most beautiful shade of red
    >> > possible (as it should be).
    >> >
    >> > Clearly my CP is the culprit. I can literally watch the color shift as
    >> > I open and close the control panel!
    >> >
    >> > I will say that there is some paint worn off the back of the control
    >> > panel exposing bare metal. Not possible for this to have any effect is
    >> > it? I am REALLY grasping at straws on that one, I know.
    >> >
    >> > I did try moving the harness wires around to see if they were causing
    >> > the interference and it doesn't appear as they are the problem. It is
    >> > the metal in the CP that is either creating or reshaping a magnetic
    >> > field being emmitted by my machine.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts? Still havent heard opinions on any kind of magnetic
    >> > shielding material.
    >> >
    >> > This seems like such a minor glitch that it should be easy to fix...any
    >> > help with this puzzler is appreciated.

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    i haven't been keeping up with the conversation, but did you try and remove
    the bottom speakers one at a time to see if it changes when the CP is
    closed. Hell maybe the closed control panel is diverting the magnetic field
    or something.

    ? :)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    yeah... but I'm assuming that the CP is simple steel... Iron magnets just
    aren't that strong...

    it's also wierd that the field lines are affecting the top of the monitor
    and not the bottom where you would think they would be stronger... it would
    have to be some really f'ed up configuration to generate such a wierd field

    "Matty-t" <matthews@audio-doctors.com> wrote in message
    >A handheld degausing coil does not gradually turn itself off like a
    > built in one does. You unplug it and the magnetic field collapses
    > releasing a VERY strong electromagnetic pulse. it can and WILL actually
    > CHARGE nearby objects.
    >
    > I suggest you degauss the CRT, FRAME, retaining STRAPS, back of the
    > CP, and then step at LEAST 6 feet away before you turn it off.
    >
    > - Matt

  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    The problem with mu-metal (sorry can't type the correct symbols) is that
    you'll have to enclose the whole control panel... it's similar to sticking a
    metal plate on one side of an antenna and expecting there to be no energy
    beyond the plate.

    I still think your best bet is to actaully remove the control panel to see
    what is going on... it may be that the panel has been magentized, or it may
    be one of the other components that makes it up... hell it could be the
    hinge for all you know at the moment.

    A few minutes spent narrowing the probem down would certainly help.

    steve

    > OK...for what it's worth (hopefully a thousand words)
    >
    > Here is a link to pictures of my trouble...
    >
    > Should I buy magnetic shielding material for the back of my CP?
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~skbrothers/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-MerchantID-937331-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-5.html
    >
    > Hope this thread isn't too buried by now...

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    > It's strange that someone was able to induce a permanent magnet into the
    > CP...

    you have a pretty good eletromagnet in a deguassing coil don't forget. After
    being hit with that for a few years, bound to do something weird.

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    skbrothers@comcast.net wrote:
    >hen I put the
    >control panel back in place they discolor to purple again.
    Degauss the magnetized control panel.
    And don't use anything other than a bulk tape eraser from Radio Shack.
    Trust me on that last point!
    --
    For God, Family and Republic!
    My plan to save the world: