Asus, Acer Push Back Plans for New Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I think that the bubble has not burst, but the capabilities are so similar, there needs to be some innovation... More inexpensive touch devices...

Intel seems to be the ones holding things back. That ticks me off quite a bit.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
To be fair, intel's MO has rarely been to 'withhold' innovation so much as it has been to make people PAY for that innovation when they are not pushed by a rival like AMD. Granted, it is obvious from their release of the i7 that they have been known to pull this once in a while, I generally feel they like to release the best of the best, like their SSDs...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I think that the bubble has not burst, but the capabilities are so similar, there needs to be some innovation... More inexpensive touch devices...Intel seems to be the ones holding things back. That ticks me off quite a bit.[/citation]

touch devices for small foot print PCs is the worst idea ever... on the lines of glossy screens... because they trendy iCrap made them appear popular does not mean they are across all platforms... not every has the fingers of an elf either...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
You are correct that 'touch' per se is not the way to go, and that was not my intended market...

To me, touch is synonymous with tablet. I want tablet functionality, in that i want it for things like MS OneNote. When that is affordable and sufficiently functional (battery, performance, heat, capacitive, etc) you will have a killer product.

Yes, touch is almost useless without serious serious design consideration...

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Granted, it is obvious from their release of the i7 that they have been known to pull this once in a while, I generally feel they like to release the best of the best, like their SSDs...[/citation]

How do you think about their IGP? Are they best of the best or lamest of lamest?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I think the IGP is a different situation. I think this is a case where their marketing department feels that they need to wait until their product is at least on par with their claims to date about performance. I bet that if they released it right now, it would be better than their current offerings, but well below where they want them to be. By waiting until a complete product is available on the scope of the x25, they preserve their ability to claim and market for a superior market segment.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
wouldn't anyone like to see amd get into the game?
with their awesome low power chipsets they could probably own even the ion platform?!?!? (i heard there coming with the huron platform but not for netbooks)

G

I still think their EeePc 901 with SSD is their flagship!
Longest battery life, fastest SSD, and smallest frame around the screen.

True, the keys are rather small, but that's ok for such a netbook!
I got big fingers, and type pretty ok on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.