Java crashes with Gforce6600

darrabito

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Since installing a new eVGA Gforce 6600 gt graphics card, Java now almost completely crashes my computer, making it run like a 286 until Java is completely exited. To make things even harder to figure, the 66.94 drivers that came with the card work with Java, but Ghost Recon(my favorite game) will not run At ALL(just freezes at the games first menu screen).Also, DVD's will not play(I use Power DVD). When I install the latest drivers(77.84), Ghost Recon now works (and DVD's will play again as well),but the Java problem appears.
My system... P3 1GHZ,Asus TUSL2-C motherboard, 512M pc133 sdram,WD HD 120G,WIN98SE,SoundBlaster Live OEM.
I Have the latest version of Java-----1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) BTW, I notice that even launching the Java Control panel alone has the same ill-effect, so it's not a browser issue.

uber_m0j0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Dunno what to say expect that you are not alone... on the java problem anyway

My 6800ultra hates all things java. Whenever a java page loads my screen turns on and off all rapid-fire like. Pisses me off to no end. No idea why it does that.. dunno how to fix it expect avoid java sites. :(

~~ Windows Me: OS of teh MILLENIUM!

darrabito

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Thanks...at least I know now that others have the same problem. What operating system are you using? I'm still on WIN98 SE and it's been suggested to me that possibly newer hardware and drivers are less and less compatible with non-current operating systems such as mine.Sound plausible ?

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
If you use Firefox, which I whole-heartedly recommend, you can disable Javascript until you resolve the problem. I bet it's nVidia's drivers.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

cryptonx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
i tried running a an online 3d java game , Megacorps , but it just shows a white screen and takes 99% cpu load .. nothing happens ... I also have a Geforce 6600 .

darrabito

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Someone gave me the answer !! Disable forced FSAA and set it to application controlled. You'll have to reset it each time you play certain games but it cured the Java problem !!