Have ATI9200 need something better

CLR4ILS

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
Hey guys first time here on this site and it really looks like an awesome site. Here's the problem, I have an ATI radeon 9200 256 mb that's really biting it on performance. I've been looking at other cards and wondering what is going to be the best option for me for around 150 bucks? I've been looking at soem cards like the FX5700 vs the radeon 9700 and just with all the gddr memory and stuff just wondering what my best bet is going to be for stuff like flight simulator and I like to play a lot of joint ops and can't wait for battlefield 2 to come out. Let me know guys and thanks a lot. sethamiller@hotmail.com

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
9700 outperforms the 5700 by 2x at least.

If you can spend a bit extra for the 6600GT that'll be the best, but if it's between 9700 and 5700, 9700 all the way, it is MUCH superior.

CLR4ILS

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
ok i bid on the 128mb one for 150 on ebay but not sure if I'm really going to win though. Are you talking about the 128 or is there a 256mb version, thanks for your help they said thye used it for halflife which is a pretty intense game i understand. Is that ddr3 pretty nice or soemthing...

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey, if you are still looking for a card and live in the USA, go for <A HREF="http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=7013&sid=0REHEL2EVMPG9P88QG7KA2RVB4249DXB" target="_new">a 256-bit radeon 9800 pro</A> from Allstarshop, EWiz, Newegg, or Chiefvalue. It's not quite as good as a 6600GT, but at $130 or less it's a bargain for anyone who can't stretch their budget to a 6600GT.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
eBay is for suckers: You loose out on warranties, pay MORE than discount online shops, and have a fairly large chance of getting nothing for your money.

The 5700 Ultra is made to compete with the 9600 Pro, but looses. The 9700 Pro is far better. The 9800 Pro 256-bit is better still.

The RAM thing, a 128MB 9600 Pro is FASTER than a 256MB 5700 Ultra.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
I'm a sucker;

I got my 9700 PRO back in the day for $120 when they were still selling for $220 new, and;

I just bought my 6800U for $300 cdn when they are still selling new for $500+.

If that makes me a sucker, then I'll happily be a sucker all the way to the bank...

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I think Ebay isn't bad, but I myself just don't like the idea of second hand electronic, because you really don't know what the previous users have done to it, you have no idea how long it'll last.

cleeve

Illustrious
One way to protect yourself is to buy brands of cards that have lifetime warranties.

If you buy any used "Built-by-Ati" card, you're pretty much guaranteed warranty service without a problem.

Once I bought a PNY Ti4200 off ebay that was advertised as broken; got it for $20, then sent it to PNY and they sent me a brand new one...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I used to sell USED motherboards on eBay for over $100. Obviously, if someone doesn't get more than their product is worth on eBay, they don't know how to sell.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
Heheh that's why sellers like you are the guys to avoid when buying.

Then again, I'm in the habit of selling stuff for more than it's worth myself... so you just have to know how to play the system to get ahead I guess. ;)

The thing about the warranties, if ATi finds out it's second hand the warranty is void (you can often get away with it but tat is their stated policy).

As for selling card,s remember when WUSY mentioned selling his moded R9800SEs boy what a ruckus that caused. :lol:

Caveat Emptor for sure, but anyone thinking ebay is like FS is stoopid, and people willing to pay more than something's worth is not your fault, as long as you're honest with the desription if you can sell an R9600Pro for more than an X800, then more power to you and lets just hope the person paying the money their cheque doesn't bounce. To someone it may be worth the moeny they pay even if WE think people are getting fleeced.

With google and so many forums like this, and on line e-tailers, anyone getting fleeced by an honest description has no right to complain IMO. However false advertising is the only issue that concerns me (hey then it's not a question of doing more research, just flat out crookedness/thievery).

e-bay can be a great source for deals. I prefer the brick and mortar (even if it's just a shipping address), where I can confront the Ba$$turdz to some individuals drop shipping address. When I get home I'll see if I can find you that old thread in another forum about the guy in the UK trying to scam an Apple notebook from a dude in the US, and they do surveillance of the shipping address, and send him a 'notebook'. Aswesome thread/story.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I'm a go-to seller, I've never cheated anyone, 100% reliable.

I've seen sellers spend two years building up their reputation, only to screw everyone at once. That's their eBay retirement plan.

cleeve

Illustrious
I hear you. Not questioning your integrity Crash, just agreeing that if you know the ins and outs you can usually get more than the average joe for your wares, and pay less than the average joe to buy stuff.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
People used to buy those hard-to-find PIII 1000E 100 bus Slot 1 processors from Compgeeks for $100, and sell them on eBay for $200. I kid you not.